Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice/confirmation needed using a 60l bucket of water for soil

Thanks

Talking Advice/confirmation needed using a 60l bucket of water for soil

Hey guys.

I just wanted to outline what I plan to do with my water and see if I'm doing anything wrong or if there's something I can do better as this is my first time and if I can do things right from the get go it should be all good.

So I have a 60L bucket and have a few questions about how long to keep the water and does it matter if the bucket has a lid on top.

So I plan to use it like this:

- Fill bucket with about 40L
    - using a 100w aquarium heater keep the temp at 20-23 throughout the week
    - Leave the airstone plugged in 24/7 to keep the water moving
    - Empty the water each week for fresh water?

Does it make any difference at all if there's a lid on the bucket (mine has one)?

Should I have to do anything else to the water before mixing the nutrients?

I'm probably overthinking this but being my first time I just need some confirmation.

Thank you
    Last edited by Cannathusiast; 26-05-20 at 07:01 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-05-20), Greengrass (27-05-20), Mac (27-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

I've mixed a batch of 200 litres nutrient solution to last a week on 8 plants in coco...No need for a lid just keep it aerated with pump and air stone and at around 18c....I wouldn't do this with organic nutes, they are best mixed around an hour prior to feeding..

Regards BL

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (27-05-20), GEORGE (26-05-20), Greengrass (27-05-20), Mac (27-05-20), Shreder (26-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    I've mixed a batch of 200 litres nutrient solution to last a week on 8 plants in coco...No need for a lid just keep it aerated with pump and air stone and at around 18c....I wouldn't do this with organic nutes, they are best mixed around an hour prior to feeding..

Regards BL

That probably sounds like a better thing to do, im receiving cuttings this week but unsure what to measure for the week to start & going forward.

I was just going to use the water so I know what ppm pH & EC it is each time I used it.

Any idea on how much 3 would usually take up through each week start to Finish? I know it can kinda he opened ended because Im gonna use fabric/smart pots and I hear they dry out quicker.

Also, am I right in saying that once I transplant the cutting to the life pot I need to water it and leave it for 24 hours and then feed it only water for a week, when it's dry (or when the pot is lighter) and after that feed it nutes every other feed?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-20), Greengrass (27-05-20), Mac (27-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

With cuttings you're going to want to keep them a little bit wetter than with the typical rooted plant, you also want to start off in smaller pots like a solo cup. Three cuttings in Solo cups once rooted could be watered with 2 or 3 liters a week, once the plants are in the fabric pots it could be five or six ltrs each watering. In soil you could be talking about watering every three or four days probably. So a mature plant set up for one week I would only need about 12 litrs or about a 40-90 l reservoir for one week for mature plants.

So the first couple weeks a 1 gallon jug is a big enough reservoir for the next few weeks of 5 gallon bucket is big enough resevoir, then once you're out there at five or six weeks age probably a 40 ltrs a week.

There are a lot of variables that can change things, I was just giving some figures to give you some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (27-05-20), GEORGE (27-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20), Mac (27-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    With cuttings you're going to want to keep them a little bit wetter than with the typical rooted plant, you also want to start off in smaller pots like a solo cup. Three cuttings in Solo cups once rooted could be watered with 2 or 3 liters a week, once the plants are in the fabric pots it could be five or six ltrs each watering. In soil you could be talking about watering every three or four days probably. So a mature plant set up for one week I would only need about 12 litrs or about a 40-90 l reservoir for one week for mature plants.

So the first couple weeks a 1 gallon jug is a big enough reservoir for the next few weeks of 5 gallon bucket is big enough resevoir, then once you're out there at five or six weeks age probably a 40 ltrs a week.

There are a lot of variables that can change things, I was just giving some figures to give you some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks a lot for the figures jingo, appreciate it bud.

I'm worrying so much about watering as I've never watered plants before as it being my first time. I'm using fabric pots and what that they dry out a little faster.

The cuttings are already rooted so would just be putting them straight into the 5gallon fabric pots.

Its my understanding to just water the plant until about 20% run off and then stop & wait for it to dry out (can lift the pot to see how heavy).

If that's the case, I hear that fabric pots you should water half the watering, let it sink in as it can flow out the sides & then give it the rest until 20% run off.

Would I determine 20% from measuring the amount going in and waiting till I see roughly 20% come out?

Im probably being silly but I'd rather confirm than mess something up.

Thanks dude

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Thanks

If you're doing coco and have precharged your coco before you put your plants in it, then watering to 20% runoff from the beginning makes a lot of sense. If you're doing soil you may have about 2-3 weeks where your hand watering and you won't be focused on getting run off. Pot weight is the best way to judge when you need to water let him soil dry out an inch and a half down is probably a good way to judge and coco once they're mature you can get away with quite a bit of feeding and watering.

If you water by hand then giving some water to all your plants and then circling around and giving them some more water and then circling around and giving them some more water till you get run off is the way to go.

If you are on auto water then you need to just make sure that everything gets soaked all the way out to the fabric sides and you get your run off.

I do have timers that allow me to set up to six different watering cycles and I could set a short cycle for each plant and then a longer cycle shortly thereafter if I wanted to get the same effect but boy that seems like a lot of trouble.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (27-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Thanks

If you're doing coco and have precharged your coco before you put your plants in it, then watering to 20% runoff from the beginning makes a lot of sense. If you're doing soil you may have about 2-3 weeks where your hand watering and you won't be focused on getting run off. Pot weight is the best way to judge when you need to water let him soil dry out an inch and a half down is probably a good way to judge and coco once they're mature you can get away with quite a bit of feeding and watering.

If you water by hand then giving some water to all your plants and then circling around and giving them some more water and then circling around and giving them some more water till you get run off is the way to go.

If you are on auto water then you need to just make sure that everything gets soaked all the way out to the fabric sides and you get your run off.

I do have timers that allow me to set up to six different watering cycles and I could set a short cycle for each plant and then a longer cycle shortly thereafter if I wanted to get the same effect but boy that seems like a lot of trouble.

Thats some awesome info thanks man.

When you say hand water for 2-3 wks, what do you mean in opposed to?

So shall I just pour slowly & evenly until the pot?

When I first pot my clones how much water do I give them & how frequently before I introduce nutes & then when would I introduce lst, as they're already rooted & ready for the 5gallon smart pots?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20), Jingo (28-05-20)

Thanks

So what medium are you planning on growing in? I'm assuming Coco, but I've used auto water in soil
    before.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Thanks

So what medium are you planning on growing in? I'm assuming Coco, but I've used auto water in soil
    before.

I'm going for soil bud

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Thanks

Okay, well what I meant by hand watering is you have a nutrient mix in a bucket and you scoop out of there and you just water with your scoops. So for me that means two solo cups which are about a liter a piece and I'll pour two of those into a pot of coco and then just dump two more and two more so those six liters get in real quick in a big pot of coco, but in soil I would put two liters in one plant go to the next and put in two liters and then to the next and then I'd circle back and I would keep on doing that until I got run off. The difference is soil likes a slower more deliberate soaking whereas coco seems to be able to take a flood and prefer a flood.

One possible benefit of having a reservoir and a hose as you could get an air pump and keep air running in that reservoir 24 hours a day and then every time you went to pump it out to your plants they would get extra oxygen in their water which would help a lot.

Since you are doing soil you will probably not be mixing big reservoirs of water unless you want to put a little pump down in the bottom and say run a half inch line out with a little shut-off on the end and then you could actually have a hose and just water all your plants with a hose I kind of like doing that. I especially like doing that if it has a nice little shower head on the end I think that works really well.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (29-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast