Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Changing my dog to raw food help please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    My dog also eats a lot of raw salmon and duck .
    Any fresh road kill is gutted hung and frozen for him and definitely freeze it first to kill any bacteria

in a green and pleasant land
    Don't know about in your part of the world, but in the Western US/Canada never feed raw salmon, trout or steelhead to a dog. It can give them salmon poisoning disease, and/or Elokomin Fluke Fever, both of which can be fatal (90%) if untreated. Frozen then thawed I believe is OK, and cooked is OK. But never fresh raw.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

British green (07-06-20), GEORGE (07-06-20), Jingo (07-06-20), Mac (07-06-20), scoot (10-06-20), The Solyom (07-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Phytoplankton View Post
    Don't know about in your part of the world, but in the Western US/Canada never feed raw salmon, trout or steelhead to a dog. It can give them salmon poisoning disease, and/or Elokomin Fluke Fever, both of which can be fatal (90%) if untreated. Frozen then thawed I believe is OK, and cooked is OK. But never fresh raw.
    Yeah we had some dogs got salmon poisoned out on the Washington coast when I was a boy. They survived but it was a pretty tough illness.

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (07-06-20), GEORGE (07-06-20), Mac (07-06-20), scoot (10-06-20), The Solyom (07-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,136 Times

Thanks for that info. He's safe, I can't afford Salmon for him lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Solyom For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-06-20), Mac (07-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Default Changing my dog to raw food help please.

All raw food I feed to my dog is frozen and then thawed . Just to kill any harmful bacteria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by British green; 07-06-20 at 01:33 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-06-20), Mac (07-06-20), The Solyom (07-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,136 Times

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    All raw food I feed to my dog is frozen and then thawed . Just to kill any harmful bacteria

Good point. So is mine, and stored in dogs freezer lol

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Solyom For This Useful Post:

British green (07-06-20), GEORGE (07-06-20), Mac (07-06-20)

Thanks

[QUOTE=jingo;1071092552]Yeah we had some dogs got salmon poisoned out on the Washington coast when I was a boy. They survived but it was a pretty tough illness.

If they survive without antibiotics they are then immune. Smoked salmon is also not good, since it is not cooked at a high enough temp to kill the bug(s).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

British green (08-06-20), GEORGE (07-06-20), The Solyom (08-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

[QUOTE=Phytoplankton;1071092771]
    Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Yeah we had some dogs got salmon poisoned out on the Washington coast when I was a boy. They survived but it was a pretty tough illness.

If they survive without antibiotics they are then immune. Smoked salmon is also not good, since it is not cooked at a high enough temp to kill the bug(s).
    Oh no they had IV fluids for several days in the veterinary hospital it wasn't it wasn't an easy thing.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (08-06-20), GEORGE (07-06-20), The Solyom (08-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,413 Times

A few more months and I top up the freezer with venison again,and hopefully this year moose.
    Been trying to keep my venison for making jerky but I might treat the dogs.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-06-20), The Solyom (10-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,502 Times

Hope all your doggos are well. My two have been on raw for like 1-2 year it was such a great change for them. One stopped liking his paws pretty much but the other is no better she is horrific with her paws and ears . I've tried all sorts and never been able to crack it for her and it's abit of a shame. I'm Trying a pet nutritionist and hopefully I can get some where as it isn't really the cheapest either £150 - £300 for 30 mins appointment. Wish me luck haha. Will be worth every penny if I see some improvement in her.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-11-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2