Thread: Inspect my setup & lots of general beginners questions

Thanks

Default Inspect my setup & lots of general beginners questions

Hello Talkers!

So this is my first time setting everything up & have out huge amount of efforts into my groom build & bought a lot of the stuff I researched I'd need to give me the best start possible. I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on how my setup looks or if something should be changed or things I avoid or may come across with that I'm using, anything I useful at the moment. Hopefully I don't sound like I'm asking silly questions & as always I massively appreciate your time reading this over.

Also if anybody had any random beginners tips they could fire at me that me or suggestions I'd appreciate it!
    I've done a few months of research but I'm quite nervous about watering, scrogging & LST.

I'm going to be potting 3 already rooted clones of Blood Orange Kush in 5gallon fabric pots and plan on
    ensuring the environment is consistent and comfortable for my babies.

I'm using an Ecotechnics

Ecotechnics Fan Controller - Seems to be running okay but I just have some final testing to do to record the times it's/whats on etc so could do with some assistance before I complete my tests & put the clones in the environment. I found I was struggling to the keep the humidity up, I have a 1L usb humidifier, do you think I can use this in somehow, and how? I put it in there for nearly 30 mins and it didn't seems to make any difference, how long should it take to raise?. It's a cheap chineese one from eBay which holds a litre of water and slowly releases it, It seems like it's too weak, it's powered by a micro usb & spraying Infront of the intake fan (is this the right place for it?) Does anybody recommend a decent one to use with the ecotechnics which isn't too expensive?

Heater: 21 hys: 2
    Temp 26 hys:0.2 - (I'm unsure what the hys does on this?)
    Rh: 70 - (im a little unsure how to raise it or how the controller manages/maintains the rh my guess is by higher fan speeds with the heater on??)

With these settings it's to my understanding with the heater hysteresis being 2. If the temp hits 19, it'll switch on until it hits 23 and then switch off. Is that correct?

If my temp is also set to 26, how will it get to that temp if the heater turns off at 23? Will the hps light compensate for the 3oc difference and give more heat and then the fans work faster if the temp rises over 26 to lower the temp again?

What about when the lights are off, is it ok to keep the temp at HTR 21 temp -26 when the lights are off? Will the heater kick in at 19 until 23 like I said? But won't go over that as the lights arnt on?

I've recalibrated the temperature probe to be between the two other thermometers I put in there so that seems accurate now, but I'm not very sure if the rh is calibrated properly, I have one hygrometer that reads around 30 more rh than the probe. So I'm a little unsure.

the test environment temp was 24oc & probe read 50 rh consistent for around half hour 45 mins with nothing in there (before I switched it back off), does this sound right or should I look at another meter to confirm the readings? This is the one I have:

What & when is better setting should I be changing the temperature settings throughout my clones lifecycle?

The kit I have

- 4" Intake fan - pulling air from a temp controlled room & 20-25 degress.
    - 5" Rhino Hobby Carbon Filter & HighPro TT extraction fan.
    - 600W HPS Lummiblack with ballast - (timered) on rope rachets
    - 2 clip of fans.
    - 1 fan heater (unsure where's best to place the heater really need suggestions as I think where it is now may potentially heat up the sides of the pots too much and cause it go drier on the bit the heat may go in the direction of?).
    - 3 smart pots
    - Air stone
    - Water heater
    - 2 Litre plastic jug
    - Soil with perlite
    - Scrog net
    - Hemp string
    - 50l bucket (22.8 degrees / 54 ppm 0.1 EC / PH 7.8) is that ok for the res water then mix in a 2l measuring jug to feed or should I be looking at something better to mix nutes & feed? What does everyone else use to feed their plants?

For the Scrog net, I see that people build frames within their tent, could somebody explain to me why they do this & why not just tie in on cable ties to the poles? Also, how do they manage it when it comes to harvest?

Thanks for taking the time to read ladies & gents. Hope it's not too many questions!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jingo; 28-05-20 at 02:12 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Mac (28-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

I edited out the link we don't allow those around here. You can always post a screenshot of what you ordered that's legal or if you're referencing an eBay item that is still available you can list the item number.

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20), Mac (28-05-20), M_C (28-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Rhino hobby filters & TT fans aren't the best.....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20), Karsa (28-05-20), Mac (28-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

If you are going to scrog a 2L jug may not cut it. They are bulky and awkward.

Recommend a long spout watering can so you can reach all areas under the net easily

When people build the frames they tend to string their own net too rather than use pre-bought.
    At harvest you will have a couple options. Cut the net from around the plant or cut the plant from the net. Option 1 is easier but buying new nets gets expensive, a ball of garden string is cheaper and will make several nets to custom sizes

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I edited out the link we don't allow those around here. You can always post a screenshot of what you ordered that's legal or if you're referencing an eBay item that is still available you can list the item number.

Ahh okay, thanks for the heads up I'll be sure to double check over the rules & keep that in mind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    If you are going to scrog a 2L jug may not cut it. They are bulky and awkward.

Recommend a long spout watering can so you can reach all areas under the net easily

When people build the frames they tend to string their own net too rather than use pre-bought.
    At harvest you will have a couple options. Cut the net from around the plant or cut the plant from the net. Option 1 is easier but buying new nets gets expensive, a ball of garden string is cheaper and will make several nets to custom sizes
    Thanks for the heads up there dude, any size watering can you recommend?

We're pretty handy with wood so could easy knock up a frame, just want to know the best way to apply it/build it for my setup

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cannathusiast View Post
    Thanks for the heads up there dude, any size watering can you recommend?

We're pretty handy with wood so could easy knock up a frame, just want to know the best way to apply it/build it for my setup
    Personal preference on the size, whatever you are comfy holding/whatever is big enough to hold a full feed. Water weighs 8lb /US gallon Long necked ones help you distribute the water more evenly round the back of the plants without hitting lower branches with the can

For the frame, 1x1,2x2 timber, whatever ya have handy. drill holes, use screws or eye hooks to wrap ya net to.

Can build it square and hang from rope ratchets, cut the corners and ziptie it to the tent poles, can build legs for it. Can use polypipe instead of wood or an old tent frame. Some people make individual per pot scrogs from bamboo sticks etc etc. Many many ways to skin this particular cat
    Last edited by Mac; 28-05-20 at 10:08 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Personal preference on the size, whatever you are comfy holding/whatever is big enough to hold a full feed. Water weighs 8lb /US gallon Long necked ones help you distribute the water more evenly round the back of the plants without hitting lower branches with the can

For the frame, 1x1,2x2 timber, whatever ya have handy. drill holes, use screws or eye hooks to wrap ya net to.

Can build it square and hang from rope ratchets, cut the corners and ziptie it to the tent poles, can build legs for it. Can use polypipe instead of wood or an old tent frame. Some people make individual per pot scrogs from bamboo sticks etc etc. Many many ways to skin this particular cat
    That's some handy info thanks mate. I seen this one, do you think this one is fine?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post: