Thread: Soil moisture meter and watering.

Thanks

Default Soil moisture meter and watering.

Hi

I know there's no definitive answer when it comes to watering plants so I got myself a soil ph and moisture meter.

Its dry as a bone at the top few inches but saying it's wet at the bottom 1/2.

My plants are photos, in 16ltr smart pots. They are on the 5th node about 6" tall.... When should I be watering them? When the gauge says dry or in-between (Moist)

I know it sounds like a stupid question but I've read posts saying when the pots feel light and when you put your finger in a few inch...etc... But the pots don't feel heavy and thesoild dry in the first few inches.

Also while I've got your attention, when I do water them should I be giving them a good 3-4 litres each and getting a run out at the bottom?

Cheers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

When the pot is (nearly)as light as it was when you filled it from the bag, thats time for water.

Water will distribute around by capillary action so if yours is so bone dry on the top is it because you have a fan blowing on it or too hot?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20), Justeatit (28-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Forget the moisture meter...Plants in compost that are healthy and feeding well in the correct environment should require watering every 3~4 days...I like to go by the weight of the pots, just takes a bit of practice to get the feel for it...Yeah drench the plants on each watering with run off, this allows the administration of fresh oxygenated nutrient solution which also pushes unused stale nutes from the medium purging the rhizosphere...

Regards BL

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20), Justeatit (28-05-20), LewisR19 (28-05-20), ToughCall (09-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    When the pot is (nearly)as light as it was when you filled it from the bag, thats time for water.

Water will distribute around by capillary action so if yours is so bone dry on the top is it because you have a fan blowing on it or too hot?
    I'm struggling with the heat to tell you the truth, I'm running them at night with the windows open and its still 30-32... its only when it gets dark does it drop. Going to get a inlet fan tomorrow.

Cheers for the rapid response.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

gardro (28-05-20), GEORGE (28-05-20), ToughCall (09-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Forget the moisture meter...Plants in compost that are healthy and feeding well in the correct environment should require watering every 3~4 days...I like to go by the weight of the pots, just takes a bit of practice to get the feel for it...Yeah drench the plants on each watering with run off, this allows the administration of fresh oxygenated nutrient solution which also pushes unused stale nutes from the medium purging the rhizosphere...

Regards BL
    This will be the third day, was going to water but with the moisture meter saying wet I thought id ask here first. I haven't given them a proper water yet, just a litre here and there as I'm concerned about overwatering. Ill give them a good drink tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-20), ToughCall (09-06-20)