Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help a brother out please

Thanks
    Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,374 Posts

Default Help a brother out please

Right... I could be wrong but this seems to be the issue I have every grow. Personally I'm not the most clued up and still learning but I have just always thought it is some kind of cal/mag def but maybe it is something else. I have only started spraying Epsom salts and it's the first time I have ever used it so I hope it helps me. Let me know what you guys think this could be, they arent to sick at the moment but if they end up like my last grow I'd say the just to say made it to chop

Background ec - 0.2/0.3
    Ec -0.4
    Ph - 5.8/6.0
    Temps - 25
    Rh - 51
    Lights - IS board 85w at 22 inches away
    Strain - RQS northern lights auto
    Medium - canna coco
    Nutes - mainly canna coco

Feed is 0.4
    Buddha's green solar power - 0.5 ml per liter
    Canna cal/mag - i take feed to ec0.4 with it
    Rhizotonic - 2ml per liter

Any advice on what Yous guys might think it maybe will be appreciated and also any other advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (31-05-20), jingo (31-05-20), Lowrollerbean (02-06-20), Mac (02-06-20), Nuggetz (31-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,909 Times in 4,014 Posts

They look beautiful! You've done a great job I never sweat the small stuff, so I'm having a hard time seeing anything wrong with this plant. I think maybe you're just acting too much like an expectant father, just relax they're doing fine.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (31-05-20), Greengrass (02-06-20), hotshot (31-05-20), jake420 (22-06-20), Jumper114 (31-05-20), Lowrollerbean (02-06-20), Mac (02-06-20), M_C (31-05-20), Nuggetz (31-05-20), Stickysticky (31-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    They look beautiful! You've done a great job I never sweat the small stuff, so I'm having a hard time seeing anything wrong with this plant. I think maybe you're just acting too much like an expectant father, just relax they're doing fine.

Haha you maybe right, I will be keeping a close eye on them and if it gets progressively worse I will just report back here. Think I'm worried as I don't want them to end up like last time round but to be honest the last grow still turned out pukka and lovely solid buds which I guess is all that matters in the end. They still yielding more than what my target was, so was happy days. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and keep spraying them like I do

Thanks for your time jingo

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (31-05-20), jingo (31-05-20), Lowrollerbean (02-06-20), Mac (02-06-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,181 Times in 8,573 Posts

Look ok to me, if anything id leave the foliar sprays of magnesium if you are putting in the feed also

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

hotshot (31-05-20), jingo (31-05-20), Lowrollerbean (02-06-20), Mac (02-06-20), Nuggetz (31-05-20), Stickysticky (31-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Look ok to me, if anything id leave the foliar sprays of magnesium if you are putting in the feed also
    Thanks gardro, I for I replied but I didn't my bad. Since you said I haven't sprayed I'll see how they progress

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (02-06-20), jingo (02-06-20), Lowrollerbean (02-06-20), Mac (02-06-20)

Thanks

I don't know about 100% healthy man you've got early signs of clawing dial back that Nitrogen back a bit. Classic early signs of N toxicity in my opinion

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay_GY For This Useful Post:

hotshot (02-06-20), Mac (22-06-20)

Thanks

So from when I first Posted this it's been a while and they did get worse. I wouldn't say the full plant was affected just quite a few leafs. It doesn't look good. The leafs seem yellow with green running down the middle. This is something I need to avoid in future. I'd say it isn't getting worse apart from leafs already affected but I could be wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated. No doubt they could be a few different things it maybe but thought and opinions will be appreciated

Only other factors I can see is the two furthest in flower are effected the most and they are also the two plants at the back of the tent

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20)

Thanks

So are you still doing foliar feeding of sulfur? It looks a lot like a sulfur deficiency.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

gardro (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20), Stickysticky (18-06-20)

Thanks

Looks like magnesium deficiency or possibly another micronutrient. Is your pH ok and calibrated recently?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20), Stickysticky (18-06-20)

Thanks

I just had a look at your diary and I see you're in Coco, the only reason to have those kind of problems in Cocoa is either a your pH is off, maybe need to check the accuracy of your pen. Or you've got high enough background EC that you're unable to feed enough of the nutrients you need. Your plants are very green, maybe that's from Cal mag and not your base nutrients?

If you're simply dealing with high background EC and not enough base nutrients then supplementing is a good idea. mag sulfate will of course take care of magnesium or sulfur depending on which one it is. I would stick to foliar feeding until the flowers get a little bit more developed, I would avoid the flowers anyway.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20), Stickysticky (18-06-20)

Thanks

So are you still doing foliar feeding of sulfur? It looks a lot like a sulfur deficiency.

I sprayed once with cal mag for one day and stopped and haven't done it since.

Looks like magnesium deficiency or possibly another micronutrient. Is your pH ok and calibrated recently?
    I just put my ph pen in buffer 7 and it read it at PH7.0.
    I assume ph should be fine if it's reading that bang on or am I wrong ? Last calibrated 40 days ago mind

I just had a look at your diary and I see you're in Coco, the only reason to have those kind of problems in Cocoa is either a your pH is off, maybe need to check the accuracy of your pen. Or you've got high enough background EC that you're unable to feed enough of the nutrients you need. Your plants are very green, maybe that's from Cal mag and not your base nutrients?

If you're simply dealing with high background EC and not enough base nutrients then supplementing is a good idea. mag sulfate will of course take care of magnesium or sulfur depending on which one it is. I would stick to foliar feeding until the flowers get a little bit more developed, I would avoid the flowers anyway.

I have just said above to gardro about the ph. My background EC is fairly low at EC0.2.

When I first posted this post and noticed little problems.

Feed was at EC 0.4
    (background 0.2)
    (0.2 of cal mag)
    (2ml rhizotonic per liter)

Now I'm at EC 0.8
    (Background 0.2)
    (0.5 of cal mag)
    (0.1 A+b)

From now I was planning on not taking the ec up with calmag no more and if I want to raise EC now I was just going to use A+B

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well everything you said looks real good except for your pH pen. To get an assurance of an accurate measure you need to pH at two points I use seven and four, but I think you can use like seven and ten. So you know your meter is accurate at seven but what happens when it drops down to six? That's why you calibrate at two points.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (18-06-20), gardro (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20), Stickysticky (18-06-20)

Thanks

Yeah agree with Jingo. People dont realise the pH 7 is the neutral / zero point but you need 4 (or 10) to pick up the slope

Could be the cause of the non / not yet autoing auto too.......would be what RQS would say
    Last edited by gardro; 18-06-20 at 02:36 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20), Stickysticky (18-06-20)

Thanks

Well everything you said looks real good except for your pH pen. To get an assurance of an accurate measure you need to pH at two points I use seven and four, but I think you can use like seven and ten. So you know your meter is accurate at seven but what happens when it drops down to six? That's why you calibrate at two points.

I do have buffer 4 and 7 I was confused to how to calibrate with them both so I never did at the start, I should have just asked. I put it in the 4 just then and it said PH 4.1. I have just recalibrated but maybe done it wrong so I can always try do it later if I have done it wrong.

I put it in buffer 4, pressed calibrate, it calibrated to 7 (that's what I wasn't sure about)

I then rinsed, shaked it dry, put it in the buffer 7, pressed calibrate, it calibrated to 7

I just assumed 4 first then 7. Did I do it right or wrong?

I had similar isuues last grow and if not every grow. So I've went higher on the calmag than I normally would this time hoping for better results. The picture below is from last grow and it was throughout the whole plant they were further on in flower mind, hopefully these don't end up like it or even worse. I normally only add EC 0.2 of calmag as to this time I'm currently at EC 0.5 of calmag like I said.

I feel this is the main problem I come across and I'm determined to try and solve it haha

Thank you very much jingo

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

gardro (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20)

Thanks

Yeah agree with Jingo. People dont realise the pH 7 is the neutral / zero point but you need 4 (or 10) to pick up the slope

Could be the cause of the non / not yet autoing auto too.......would be what RQS would say
    The non autoing seems totally fine, it's got no yellowing at all thats the front left one but I'm sure this problem only occurs once starting to hit flower or there abouts maybe. Hopefully I've calibrated it correctly now if not I'll get it sorted once Yous say if I done it right or wrong. Hopefully it doesn't go throughout the full plant like I normally get if so staying higher on the calmag and calibrating this ph pen to two points and correctly maybe I can crush this issue. Also getting them higher on the calmag to start with

I'll see how they do throughout the rest of the grow

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

gardro (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20)

Thanks

Your meter ought to have instructions on what order to do it and how to do it. it bothers me that you stuck in pH 4 and it reads 7. You should be able to find out the proper procedure and go from 4 and have it read 4 and go straight into 7 and have it read 7 and then you're good.

You're going to have to study everything you can about chlorosis that's the term for what your experiencing, more specifically it's interval chlorosis. Usually when you see that midplant and not on top magnesium is the right fix, so the calcium and magnesium you've been using should have sorted that. there are also other metallic minerals you can be deficient in like iron and zinc. Those are both usually in calcium and magnesium supplements. I typically don't see any problems with iron unless the pH has gotten way too high, when it gets high the iron changes state and it's not absorbable by the plants. I have some significant problems where I live in my outdoor garden because the pH of my soil is 7 and the pH of my irrigation water is 7.2 so some plants just can't utilize iron and I have to give them extra iron supplementation. I could mix some elemental sulfur in but you have to do that a year in advance.

When you have a sulfur deficiency it's usually at the top of the plant and it often starts on just the newest leaves, the main reason I said sulfur is you've been putting magnesium sources in in your cal mag and your mag sulfate. So I think the magnesium would assorted if that was the problem and I'm leaning towards sulfur.

It's really very interesting when you start looking at all the variables that come into play. Your mineral requirements will be higher in Coco and if you're not watering often enough you can be deficient just because of that. The amount of oxygen in your coco can change things as can the temperatures and how wet the medium stays.

So there are really a whole lot of factors in play and I like the mag sulfate foliar feed simply because it's a quick diagnostic. You should see some improvement relatively quick after doing that. If not you need to move on to something more obscure in the metallic minerals.

Then of course, you can't utilize any of those minerals properly if the pH is out of whack.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If what gardro and I are saying seem confusioning and at odds were really working on the same theory we're just trying to figure out which metallic mineral it is.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

PS I think it's possible that gardro maybe a little bit sharper tack or maybe a brighter bulb than I am, plus he's been here more so maybe you should follow his advice and just think about some of the stuff I'm saying.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's all good mate I know it's not as simple as I wish it was I had a quick scan read through what you said but will be reading it again later when I'm not at work and can take it in more thanks for going into such detail, teaching and helping me

As for ph pen it's just essentials and all I know is no matter what liquid you put it in, when I press calibrate it always calibrates to 7 that's why I didn't calibrate to two points at the start, it got me confused. Thats as far as I know anyway. I could try getting instructions and see if there is other ways that I don't know off

Thanks for such detail jingo I'll be sure to have a good read when I get the time

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe @M_C Will stop by and advise how he deals with his essentials PH pen I guess he's been using the same one for four or five years.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (22-06-20)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast