Thread: Soundproofing a wall

Thanks

Default Soundproofing a wall

It's a plastered and shut door. (outside there is hallway for the whole residential area) We are like 12 apartments here. The hallway are just for reaching storerooms though..
    Concrete seems fine enough, but I thought I'd put "studio-room foam" (as seen in sound recording rooms) and fit a couple..
    Any tips. The apartment is owned. (by me)

I have a 4x4 tent, planned on a silent fan 6" fan (AC Infinity) and 1-4 hydroplants under a hlg 550 (600-1000w

The silent option would be a 3x3, 4" fan and hlg 300 lamp.

I'm out of ideas except from placing "sound recording foam" there.????

Gonna Google!

Peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200604_202430.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	384033  
    Last edited by knutsson; 04-06-20 at 07:39 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knutsson For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-20), MrC (04-06-20)

Thanks

Damnit, my photo ended up sideways??????

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knutsson For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-20), MrC (04-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,962 Times

If you're packing that gap maybe loft insulation and a thin ply board over it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-20), knutsson (04-06-20)

Thanks

I was thinking the same! Thank you. Ply board!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to knutsson For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Quote Originally Posted by knutsson View Post
    Damnit, my photo ended up sideways??????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knutsson View Post
    I thought I'd put "studio-room foam" (as seen in sound recording rooms)
    Any tips. The apartment is owned. (by me)

Peace
    If by studio foam you mean the pointy triangle stuff then that's mostly to reduce echo's off hard surfaces so you don't sound like your sitting on a toilet. It's a expensive and not very practical way to soundproof a wall. its quite fragile, easy damaged and harder to keep clean than a flat surface.

"any tips?"
    Is this just for the plastered over doorway or the whole wall? I'll give tips based on full wall with doorway as it may help others.

is wall a stud cavity or solid brick? if solid is plasterboard fitted to batons or by dot and dab? find all cavities and fill with expanding insulating foam. Find and block any gaps in or around the wall, light switch's and electrical outlets are basically a hole in the wall that will let sound through. unscrew them, run a nice fat line of caulking round the hole they fit in then screw them back up, fill and gaps or cracks where the wall joins other walls, ceilings or skirting board / floor.

The list of things you can cover a wall with to deaden sound is endless so its just a case of picking the best one for your situation and budget.
    acoustic paint, acoustic vinyl, acoustic panels/tiles, throw up some rubber mounted batons then another skin of plasterboard. make it thicker than the stuff that's already there so it resonates at a different frequency to what the other stuff does as that helps, or use acoustic plasterboard that has a layer of foam on the back. build a full wall floor to celling bookcase and fill it with books, wardrobe and fill it with clothes? a quick cheap wall covering is moving blankets, the things furniture movers use. they are dense, hard wearing, easy to launder and cheap to buy by the dozen. if looks are important then decorative wall hangings or those picture rugs will help deaden some sound.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muttz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-06-20)