Thread: 12v Low Wattage Lighting

Thanks

Default 12v Low Wattage Lighting

Looking for ways to keep the energy consumption down for a small 1 maybe 2 plant stealth grow... basically I need it to run off of a motorhome style leisure battery. Could probably dedicated 100Ah so ideally 12v power fed LED would be good. 230v+ i'd have to invert which isn't as efficient.

Any ideas what the lowest wattage lighting I could get away with for a decent enough yield, about 2oz total, to last grow to grow.

Thanks

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

gardro (13-06-20), GEORGE (12-06-20), Mac (13-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

No idea about the motorhome battery but if you work off of 1 watt per gram for LEDS (2 is possible but my plants are normally under ) then a 50-60watt would do the job.

I run a migro 100 which I can dial down to 30 watts. Slowly increase the amount wattage until I'm up to power. Coats me about 60quid in electric. There's more details in one of my grow diaries. Cheers
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

existence (12-06-20), gardro (13-06-20), GEORGE (12-06-20), Mac (13-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UpT0wn View Post
    No idea about the motorhome battery but if you work off of 1 watt per gram for LEDS (2 is possible but my plants are normally under ) then a 50-60watt would do the job.

I run a migro 100 which I can dial down to 30 watts. Slowly increase the amount wattage until I'm up to power. Coats me about 60quid in electric. There's more details in one of my grow diaries. Cheers
    Thanks buddy 1 watt per gram is a nice number to work from. From that 11L pot how much yield did you return? It looks like you ramped up the wattage to 180w post #210 of your diary and then later "240watts LEDs ends this grow at 1.25gpw" ... was the dwarf or cindy on lower wattage?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

gardro (13-06-20), GEORGE (12-06-20), Mac (13-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    Thanks buddy 1 watt per gram is a nice number to work from. From that 11L pot how much yield did you return? It looks like you ramped up the wattage to 180w post #210 of your diary and then later "240watts LEDs ends this grow at 1.25gpw" ... was the dwarf or cindy on lower wattage?
    I've been using smaller pots lately but 10-11l is my go to size most of the times. I run the lights at max if my space can take it but normally lower due to dimming the lights. It gives me about 100w per 40x40cm space. Lowest Ive had is 20g, highest 5.5oz and everything in between. 2-3 Oz is a safe bet but then again plants are twats lol so it's never in the bag.

If you search for one of Gaz's earlier mentored grows you'll see he built a little cab with about 50watts in it. Think he pulled 2+ Oz if I remember rightly. Which I normally don't so that has to be a good sign lol

Peace brother

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

existence (13-06-20), gardro (13-06-20), GEORGE (13-06-20), Mac (13-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

If you want to run it from the battery then i recommend a deep cycle ££ or lithium iron phosphate ££££ battery as the leisure battery £ wont last many cycles.

You will also need a DC to DC converter to drive the led. A battery is 12.8 fully charged and 10.5 flat so you will need the led to supppy a constant current while the battery voltage is falling.

You will also need a bigger battery than imagined. Lets say 50w as mentioned. Thats 4amp + at 12v. In 24 hours that 96amp hours so you will need at least 200ah battery.

How are you charging the battery and preventing it going flat?

Very doable but not as simple as it seems. A mains solution will always be cheaper and more efficient

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

existence (13-06-20), GEORGE (13-06-20), M_C (13-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    If you want to run it from the battery then i recommend a deep cycle ££ or lithium iron phosphate ££££ battery as the leisure battery £ wont last many cycles.

You will also need a DC to DC converter to drive the led. A battery is 12.8 fully charged and 10.5 flat so you will need the led to supppy a constant current while the battery voltage is falling.

You will also need a bigger battery than imagined. Lets say 50w as mentioned. Thats 4amp + at 12v. In 24 hours that 96amp hours so you will need at least 200ah battery.

How are you charging the battery and preventing it going flat?

Very doable but not as simple as it seems. A mains solution will always be cheaper and more efficient
    Was thinking of having around 400ah battery setup (yep deep cycle lithium) hooked up to 360w solar. Other method of charging will be diesel using split relay charge from driving around. I'll have a hook up point but won't use it much.

Maybe I have to come to terms that it just won't be possible, and take a decent stash... as I'll be in cold climate too. Was hoping not to have to charge for a good few days.

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    Was thinking of having around 400ah battery setup (yep deep cycle lithium) hooked up to 360w solar. Other method of charging will be diesel using split relay charge from driving around. I'll have a hook up point but won't use it much.

Maybe I have to come to terms that it just won't be possible, and take a decent stash... as I'll be in cold climate too. Was hoping not to have to charge for a good few days.

Thanks
    Id be worrying about the 4000 quid lithium battery going walkies

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

existence (13-06-20), GEORGE (13-06-20)