Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: car maintenance for dummies

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

Feelin like a boss . Fitted a new stereo- no dramas, swapped not one but TWO bulbs over , changed the spark plugs. Cleaned a nice pool of oil out of one before I could remove it, whole other thing that, something about a crack in the gasket cover? Should probably get it sorted once and for all. Fitted a new coil pack. The old one had to be hammer and chiseled out, sod's law a bolt head shears. So chopped the corner off and did the same to the new one Clarkson style. One of the other bolts snapped in half lol, so it's held on by 2 but I have every confidence in them Noticed the front bumper may drop off on the drivers side due to rust, so had to put some duct tape in the car in case it drops off en route haha. Keep it's heart beating a little while longer.
    Appreciate all the help, no doubt you'll see this thread at some point in the future

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-07-20), Mac (01-07-20), M_C (01-07-20), RASTA (01-07-20)

Thanks

Morning all, firstly I'm not great with cars and terminology lol. I have a mk1 focus, it was misfiring so as I changed the spark plugs not long ago I changed the coil pack (an issue that rears it's head now and again, all I do is change sparks or coil pack, or both and its good to go again). So to give you a clear idea, when you come to change gear and accerarate the revs go up with very little accelaration then the revs drop down and speed goes up, it doesn't happen every time but it's been getting worse over the last week This time however, when I changed the coil pack and started it up it just makes an obviously wrong noise, sporadic idling and chuntering, revved the acc pedal a little and it sounds awful. I dropped the new coil pack on laminate floor when opening it so I changed it bk for the old one but still the same problem. I literally undid the bolts and the plug, took the 4 leads off and swapped coil pack then replaced leads etc. The leads only go to one point on the c pack so they're not mixed up. First thing I thought is maybe the leads as they haven't been changed for a cple yrs, plus one of the metal connector bits was hanging out the rubber bit on the lead after I took it off one of the points on the coil pack. So it was totally driveable yesterday, just with a little misfiring and now, after only changing the coil pack, it's obvious it isn't gonna drive properly. Any help much appreciated

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-21), Mac (09-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 15,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    Morning all, firstly I'm not great with cars and terminology lol. I have a mk1 focus, it was misfiring so as I changed the spark plugs not long ago I changed the coil pack (an issue that rears it's head now and again, all I do is change sparks or coil pack, or both and its good to go again). So to give you a clear idea, when you come to change gear and accerarate the revs go up with very little accelaration then the revs drop down and speed goes up, it doesn't happen every time but it's been getting worse over the last week This time however, when I changed the coil pack and started it up it just makes an obviously wrong noise, sporadic idling and chuntering, revved the acc pedal a little and it sounds awful. I dropped the new coil pack on laminate floor when opening it so I changed it bk for the old one but still the same problem. I literally undid the bolts and the plug, took the 4 leads off and swapped coil pack then replaced leads etc. The leads only go to one point on the c pack so they're not mixed up. First thing I thought is maybe the leads as they haven't been changed for a cple yrs, plus one of the metal connector bits was hanging out the rubber bit on the lead after I took it off one of the points on the coil pack. So it was totally driveable yesterday, just with a little misfiring and now, after only changing the coil pack, it's obvious it isn't gonna drive properly. Any help much appreciated
    The spark plug wires themselves can give you weird issues if they are old. All it takes is one of them to cause problems.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpsj For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-21), Mac (09-10-21), MrC (09-10-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpsj View Post
    The spark plug wires themselves can give you weird issues if they are old. All it takes is one of them to cause problems.
    Yeh that's it mate, it's done 285,670 ish miles. The leads are at least 2 yr old I reckon, don't remember changing them during covid. I've ordered some leads and plugs for 24 quid so I'll just swap em all out and hope for the best. It's just an odd, slightly fierce idling rhythm so hopefully there's only 3 things it could be, leads, coil pack, sparks. We will see, eh

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-21), Mac (09-10-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    Look behind your Ac Compresser, and behind your power steering pump, for A part that looks like this. This little part controls your firing system, the Coils, Spark plugs, Wires and anything else that has to do with the firing system. It has 4 small bolts I think 4mm. This part is one that Ford left out of there computer. It took me years to figure it out. My old ford is running better than ever, since I change it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Mac (09-10-21), MrC (09-10-21)

Thanks

Well I'm a 24 carat FUCKIN IDIOT, not a surprise I got the leads in the wrong place on the coil pack considerin I was takin the side as the front.So 1342 became 4123, fuckin thing nearly bounced off the drive tryin to start. I've always replaced 1 at a time before so never needed to remember the order, luckily the elation outweighs the annoyance with myself

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (11-10-21), GEORGE (11-10-21), Mac (11-10-21), M_C (11-10-21)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6