Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Digital ballast

Thanks

Default Digital ballast

Hi. I’ve got a Parlux 1000w digital light fixture and I’m having an issue with it turning on sometimes.

I had a timer plug, one with the notches you push up and down depending on when you want it to come on or not and it worked a couple of times then stopped working so I bought new ones. These are digital and have been working fine. The other day I was waiting for the light to come in and a little led started flashing and it came on about 3 minutes after the set time, yesterday when I checked the tent an hour after lights on and they weren’t on. I switched it off and on on the plug and it came on.

Is this a common issue with light fixtures with ballasts? I’ve never used on before and as I’ve swapped plugs then it’s gotta be the light.

Any input would be great.

Cheers

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-06-20), Lowrollerbean (16-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), MrC (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

If you're running a ballast, directly into a plug in timer, you are risking life and death mate.
    Buy a contactor. The plug in timer cannot handle the high draw at lamp ignition so the electronics fries. Even though the rated load may be sufficient, it's the surge at lamp ignition that's the issue. Contactors negate this risk, but require 2 plug sockets.
    I even think they have heavy duty plug in timers, have a Google
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-06-20), Justeatit (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), MrC (17-06-20), Muttz (17-06-20), M_C (16-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    If you're running a ballast, directly into a plug in timer, you are risking life and death mate.
    Buy a contactor. The plug in timer cannot handle the high draw at lamp ignition so the electronics fries. Even though the rated load may be sufficient, it's the surge at lamp ignition that's the issue. Contactors negate this risk, but require 2 plug sockets.
    I even think they have heavy duty plug in timers, have a Google
    Thanks for the reply, so is this normal? This is the first I’ve ever heard about this being unsafe.

I’m plugging my timer into a extension lead and then my light onto that. When it turns on it seems to do it at different increments.

I don’t know what a contractor is or how I’d use it. I’ve just googled contractor and it looks like a fuse block.

Is everyone else on here that’s using HPS lamps do this? If so I’m surprised I’ve just had the one answer. If this is a genuine fire risk then why are shops selling these types of plug timers when the only real reason for using one in a tent is for the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), MrC (17-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,779 Times

Lack of response is due to not letting us know the brand/model of the timer.... the cheap ones are rubbish & have been called out that many times that it is something that doesn't tend to solicit comments any more.

With regards to what grow shops sell, their profit seems more important... after all, did you ask if the timer was suitable for switching a 1,000w HPS lamp?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-06-20), Justeatit (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), MrC (17-06-20), prime (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

if your limited to 1 plug, go for one of these or one similar. they use 1 plug to power 2 lights.
    expensive but but every penny!

any more than 2 lights and the units use 2 plugs.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-06-20), Justeatit (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), MrC (17-06-20), prime (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,963 Times

This'll be an interesting read. I've got a 600w lumii black digital dimmable ballast. I was plugging that in to an argos electronic timer, probably about £20 for 3 of em, then that into a 6 socket extension lead. The socket has anti surge. What's the safest way of running 2 x 600w hps ballasts?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (17-06-20), GEORGE (17-06-20), Justeatit (17-06-20), Krofam (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Lack of response is due to not letting us know the brand/model of the timer.... the cheap ones are rubbish & have been called out that many times that it is something that doesn't tend to solicit comments any more.

With regards to what grow shops sell, their profit seems more important... after all, did you ask if the timer was suitable for switching a 1,000w HPS lamp?
    You’d think something that could burn your house down whether it’s been mentioned a thousand times before or not should warrant a response surely? Maybe even a sticky warning people especially people totally new to growing the dangers of using a cheap timer switch. Even if I didn’t put the make and model number I would have thought a friendly warning about how dangerous it is instead of no answers at all?

It’s a cheap one, I didn’t realise that a light would require something special. I didn’t buy it from a grow shop but you see lots of ads selling a kit with a normal timer. I’m going to take it off now and just turn it on and off manually until I get the proper one.

I appreciate your feedback.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    This'll be an interesting read. I've got a 600w lumii black digital dimmable ballast. I was plugging that in to an argos electronic timer, probably about £20 for 3 of em, then that into a 6 socket extension lead. The socket has anti surge. What's the safest way of running 2 x 600w hps ballasts?
    So there you go, it seems like this is normal. It’s exactly what I did. Saw a bargain and got it without knowing the consequences like yourself.

I’ve got mine in a surge protector extension as well. But by the sounds of it that won’t help.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krofam View Post
    if your limited to 1 plug, go for one of these or one similar. they use 1 plug to power 2 lights.
    expensive but but every penny!

any more than 2 lights and the units use 2 plugs.

I’ve got a couple of spare sockets on my extension. I’ll have a look at this one cheers.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,779 Times

A quick search would have shown it to be insufficient. We get many queries repeated time & time again when it is obvious that a quick search would have answered the question. I see, Timer plug, segments, 1,000w HPS, problem.... how many times should I repeat the answer to such a basic question?

If you would like to do a write up on it, I shall consider sticking it

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-06-20), Justeatit (17-06-20), Krofam (17-06-20), Mac (17-06-20), prime (17-06-20), The Solyom (22-06-20)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast