Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Help me with drying ?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default Help me with drying ?

    I jsut don’t understand and it’s kinda putting me off growing now I’ve grew 4-6 different times and every time the smell goes and never comes back I’ve dried within 3 days to 7 days and still the same outcome I don’t honestly know what I’m doing wrong why is it if I go buy weed it’ll stink but mine smells like utter shit I can’t even buy the herbsnow dryer isn’t available in the U.K. and I’ve got a couple grows being finished soon I am thinking about jsut giving this hobby up becuase it’s just waisting my money now I just don’t get it literally in Jamaica they dry the fcking things outside so wth am I doing wrong


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default

    Sorry jf I seem like I’m ranting it’s just frustrating spending all the money on replacing light bulbs replacing fans and i feel like it’s all for nothing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20)

  5. #3

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    In Ur thredz reading Ur Postz
    Posts
    1,503
    Thanks
    16,616
    Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,322 Posts

    Default

    Whats your harvest routine? I have had similar issues but last grow came out a lot better.
    I trimmed off any big leaves I could see a stem for and left the rest.
    Dried in the tent on stalks in drying racks, no fan just the extractor on lowest for smell and a 6" passive intake.
    Dry trimmed after 6 days drying and it had held the terps a lot better than previous wet trims. Wasn't perfect, still dialling it in, but the dry trim left way less hay smell and more terpy smells despite me frying the plants with my Lights xD

    Probably going to try not frying with LEDS and hanging full branches this time taking no leaves at all see how it compares .

    Don't let it get ya down fella, learn, adapt, overcome. Even the shittiest tasting home grown is better than paying £60-£70 a quarter to some shady geezers
    NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!
    4 Assed Monkey >>> Mac's Meph Lab. Quantum Boards & Coco Hempy. <<< My Diary

    “Let me give you youngsters a present. Five mantras to carry with you through your lives. These are mine:

    Number one, all men are equal - therefore no one can ever be your genuine superior.

    Number two, your future is as bright as you make it.

    Number three, change is a constant of life, so you must never ever lose your wisdom.

    Number four, if you want to live a full and complete human life, you have to be free.

    And number five, Love is the answer. Love is the answer. ” - Rik Mayall


  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

    Herbitual (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), scoobywho (18-06-20)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Softwater
    Posts
    6,158
    Thanks
    10,477
    Thanked 31,792 Times in 6,093 Posts

    Default

    Chunks - you don't mention curing - you're jarring it up, burping daily and leaving it for 3 to 4 weeks before smoking it?
    I'd love to do it and you know you've always had it coming

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Herbitual For This Useful Post:

    Chunksdependable (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20), scoobywho (18-06-20), scootb (19-06-20)

  9. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    44 24’46.22,” N, 7 76’88.63? W
    Posts
    3,441
    Thanks
    17,721
    Thanked 14,216 Times in 3,256 Posts

    Default

    Is it no smell at all or a damp hay smell? I was plagued with the damp hay smell with my first few grows, it only stopped when I started hanging the whole plant minus big fan leaves to dry it stopped. Takes a bit longer to dry but the extra few days seems to make a difference.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

    Chunksdependable (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,007
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked 12,216 Times in 4,090 Posts

    Default

    For me the best smell comes with a longer drying period snd shorter curing period. I like to dry until the buds seem over dry, leaving them on an entire branch. Then when I cut them off and start the cure it might take a day or two for the buds to make it back to 62%, they may go a little bit higher and I'll bring them down over less than a week usually.

    So for me, it's a longer drying time and a shorter curing time. Most of my hay smells came when I did it the opposite way shorter drying time and longer cure time.


  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

    Chunksdependable (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20)

  13. #7

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,774
    Thanks
    4,653
    Thanked 6,302 Times in 1,731 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    For me the best smell comes with a longer drying period snd shorter curing period. I like to dry until the buds seem over dry, leaving them on an entire branch. Then when I cut them off and start the cure it might take a day or two for the buds to make it back to 62%, they may go a little bit higher and I'll bring them down over less than a week usually.

    So for me, it's a longer drying time and a shorter curing time. Most of my hay smells came when I did it the opposite way shorter drying time and longer cure time.

    Do you remove just fan leaves jingo? Im never satisfied with my drying/curing and think i may be drying too fast

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

    Chunksdependable (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20)

  15. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,007
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked 12,216 Times in 4,090 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priapus View Post
    Do you remove just fan leaves jingo? Im never satisfied with my drying/curing and think i may be drying too fast
    Yeah I remove most of the fan leaves by the time I'm ready to harvest and I do a rough trim. I do my final dry trim usually right before I smoke it, I'm kind of lazy.


  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

    existence (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (18-06-20), Priapus (26-06-20)

  17. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Whats your harvest routine? I have had similar issues but last grow came out a lot better.
    I trimmed off any big leaves I could see a stem for and left the rest.
    Dried in the tent on stalks in drying racks, no fan just the extractor on lowest for smell and a 6" passive intake.
    Dry trimmed after 6 days drying and it had held the terps a lot better than previous wet trims. Wasn't perfect, still dialling it in, but the dry trim left way less hay smell and more terpy smells despite me frying the plants with my Lights xD

    Probably going to try not frying with LEDS and hanging full branches this time taking no leaves at all see how it compares .

    Don't let it get ya down fella, learn, adapt, overcome. Even the shittiest tasting home grown is better than paying £60-£70 a quarter to some shady geezers
    Usually I hang dry and it can take about 4-7 days the terps is usually gone but there’s always a little moisture in the buds then I bang them in jars and burp once a day but the smell literally never returns just smells like nothing I even tried throwing them in the jars with w little more moisture but humidity just goes high and I don’t really fancy having mold (luckily I’ve never had this problem)I’ve had some buds sitting in a jar for about 2months now and there’s just no smell or a smell that isn’t intriguing to smoke lol gets smoked when I run out but I got a black dog coming down in a couple days anyone trimmed and put them straight in paper bags?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    existence (18-06-20), Herbitual (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (19-06-20)

  19. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbitual View Post
    Chunks - you don't mention curing - you're jarring it up, burping daily and leaving it for 3 to 4 weeks before smoking it?
    Yeah I cure but sometimes I don’t even let it go for 3 weeks always seem to run out but yeah burp once a day maybe i need a new jar or something have you used paper bags from harvest before Much different?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    existence (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (19-06-20)

  21. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobywho View Post
    Is it no smell at all or a damp hay smell? I was plagued with the damp hay smell with my first few grows, it only stopped when I started hanging the whole plant minus big fan leaves to dry it stopped. Takes a bit longer to dry but the extra few days seems to make a difference.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    It’s a hay smell but buds ain’t damp it’s basically all the sugars evaporate within like 3 days of drying and it jsut never seems to come back even in the jars left with that nasty smell but no mold I’ll hang dry my black dog once she’s ready remove the big leaves and dry trim see if it helps I don’t mind waiting longer for a dry


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    existence (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (19-06-20), scoobywho (19-06-20)

  23. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 398 Times in 150 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    For me the best smell comes with a longer drying period snd shorter curing period. I like to dry until the buds seem over dry, leaving them on an entire branch. Then when I cut them off and start the cure it might take a day or two for the buds to make it back to 62%, they may go a little bit higher and I'll bring them down over less than a week usually.

    So for me, it's a longer drying time and a shorter curing time. Most of my hay smells came when I did it the opposite way shorter drying time and longer cure time.

    Think I can just hang the buds in a cardboard box? I can’t exactly use my grow area still got a couple plants I have over dried before but I find there’s no moisture left in the actual buds


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chunksdependable For This Useful Post:

    existence (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), jingo (18-06-20), Mac (19-06-20), scoobywho (19-06-20)

  25. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,007
    Thanks
    7,727
    Thanked 12,216 Times in 4,090 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunksdependable View Post
    Think I can just hang the buds in a cardboard box? I can’t exactly use my grow area still got a couple plants I have over dried before but I find there’s no moisture left in the actual buds


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've seen some very elaborate cardboard boxes over the years but sure that works real well.


  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jingo For This Useful Post:

    Chunksdependable (18-06-20), existence (18-06-20), hotshot (18-06-20), Mac (19-06-20), scoobywho (19-06-20)

  27. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 994 Times in 457 Posts

    Default

    I always trimmed when I chop,then I would place the trimmed buds into mesh hanging baskets,once they start to crisp on the outside(usually 3-5 days) I place in jars,every day I open the jars for 30-60mns and reseal them,this method has never failed me I'm sure its the same method many on here also use.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scootb For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (19-06-20), Mac (19-06-20), Wags (20-06-20)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK and some US States