Thread: Fan Controllers - Which one should I get?

Thanks

Default Fan Controllers - Which one should I get?

Hey guys,

I'm just putting together my very first setup and I'm trying to make sure I have a solid base to go with.

I've just purchased a plug in temp. controller and a 2ft tubular heater to keep my tent warm overnight. Im growing in the garage and the tent it 80 x 80 x 180.

I now need to control the fans. I'd like something that is variac controlled? or I believe '5-step' so as to reduce any humming noises coming from the fans. This will need to control a small black orchid 5" intake fan and also a 5" exhaust TT fan.

I've had a look at the 'Ecotechnics Evolution' and at first sight it seems ok, but when you search some reviews and feedback from other growers, it appears to be a bit of a flop (I also read it isnt variac controlled).

So.. my question is - can anyone recommend anything that would suit the above? Obviously I'd like to keep the price as low as possible but I want my enviroment to be prime!

TIA

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to L0wdawg For This Useful Post:

Dirty_badger (20-06-20), GEORGE (20-06-20), Mac (20-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

Quote Originally Posted by L0wdawg View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm just putting together my very first setup and I'm trying to make sure I have a solid base to go with.

I've just purchased a plug in temp. controller and a 2ft tubular heater to keep my tent warm overnight. Im growing in the garage and the tent it 80 x 80 x 180.

I now need to control the fans. I'd like something that is variac controlled? or I believe '5-step' so as to reduce any humming noises coming from the fans. This will need to control a small black orchid 5" intake fan and also a 5" exhaust TT fan.

I've had a look at the 'Ecotechnics Evolution' and at first sight it seems ok, but when you search some reviews and feedback from other growers, it appears to be a bit of a flop (I also read it isnt variac controlled).

So.. my question is - can anyone recommend anything that would suit the above? Obviously I'd like to keep the price as low as possible but I want my enviroment to be prime!

TIA
    I'd say you'd be fine with the Ecotechnics dude. I've used both the Ecotechnics and the SMSCom (variac) and they're both good and pretty much do the same thing.

The Ecotechnics is digital and fancy where as the SMSCom is analogue and clunky.

If the Ecotechnics controller hummed them it wouldn't be the 1 for me. I've not had any trouble with it with RVK fans.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-06-20), L0wdawg (20-06-20), Mac (20-06-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_badger View Post
    I'd say you'd be fine with the Ecotechnics dude. I've used both the Ecotechnics and the SMSCom (variac) and they're both good and pretty much do the same thing.

The Ecotechnics is digital and fancy where as the SMSCom is analogue and clunky.

If the Ecotechnics controller hummed them it wouldn't be the 1 for me. I've not had any trouble with it with RVK fans.

Hey Badger,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad to hear from someone that has first hand experience.

Does it run silently?

The appeal with the Ecotechnics is its ability to control the heater also, for the price tag. Anything else that's classed as a full 'enviroment controller' is much more expensive.

I'm trying to weigh up what would be most cost effective, an expensive controller or trying to hush the fan a little and buying a cheaper control unit ...

This being said if you can confirm the Ecotechnics should run silent/as silent as a variac controlled fan, I'll go with it.
    Last edited by L0wdawg; 20-06-20 at 03:56 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to L0wdawg For This Useful Post:

Dirty_badger (20-06-20), GEORGE (20-06-20), Mac (20-06-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

Quote Originally Posted by L0wdawg View Post
    Hey Badger,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad to hear from someone that has first hand experience.

Does it run silently?

The appeal with the Ecotechnics is its ability to control the heater also, for the price tag. Anything else that's classed as a full 'enviroment controller' is much more expensive.

I'm trying to weigh up what would be most cost effective, an expensive controller or trying to hush the fan a little and buying a cheaper control unit ...

This being said if you can confirm the Ecotechnics should run silent/as silent as a variac controlled fan, I'll go with it.
    Morning L0wdawg, I've used my Ecotechnics with an 8" L1 which shifts 1080m3 of air every hour. I had it set on min 30% and max 70%

Never heard any whining noise from the fan, I used a cheap SMSCom one before that works in the same way and that used to make the fan whine really loudly.

Check out Vividled on here dude he's got some shit hot fan and controllers that have just landed AC Infinity they're called.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-06-20), L0wdawg (21-07-20)