Thread: Adjusting flowering timeline based on first true signs

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Default Adjusting flowering timeline based on first true signs

AeyO!

I started two feminized seed grows 8 days apart. 1st grow (group A) has 1 OG Kush (70% Indica/30% Sativa), and 1 Kryptonite which is 50%I/50%S. The second grow (Group B) is 1 OG Kush and 2 Kryptonite same strains, just 8 days apart.
    This is a soil grow, using FFOF, RO water and Cal-Mag and Botanicare CNS 17 Bloom (for flowering stage). LED is Spider Farmer 4000, lights are off from 8am to 8pm. I have an 8" exhaust fan and a 6" fresh air intake inside a 4x4x6.6 Secret Jardin Tent. There are also three fans inside, RH is a bitch - 60 to 70% humidity after watering and in the mid-afternoons, days 40 to 45% in the evenings. Temps are low 70's F to mid-90's. The plants get watered every three to four days and fed every other watering. Each plant is in a 10 gallon fabric pot and gets about 3 gallons of RO each watering/ PPM 350 and pH of 6.3, when fed its PPM950 and pH of 6.3

I switched to 12/12 on June 6th, it wasn't until June 22nd that I noticed white hairs forming at the nodes. By the definition of time, that's week 2 of flower. Fast forward to today, July 3rd, I'm only seeing slightly more fuzzy white hairs but nothing to get excited about, and this puts me at 4 weeks into flowering stage.

My question: Should I reset the start of the flowering stage beginning June 22nd vs. June 6th?
    Since this is my 1st grow, I want to follow a schedule so I know when I have to stop trimming and know when I can increase the nutrients etc.. The plants definitely look beautiful and healthy.

I want to understand if I should set the time back mainly to allow me the opportunity to do some better trimming before its too late into flowering.

Thanks,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-07-20), Jingo (04-07-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

Those first white hairs or pistils you saw are called pre-flowers and a female plant can show those before you change your light schedule to 12/12. Very often as soon as the plant reaches maturity you'll start seeing preflowers that can be around 5-6 weeks of age, sometimes earlier.

If a plant is mature and showing pre-flowers when I flip, I expect to see what I call little button buds within about 2 weeks. Your plant not having the pre-flowers and waiting 2 weeks to see those is not really too far out of line for being ready to have button buds appearing now.

I worry a bit about your temperatures if you're getting up into the 90s with any regularity that can cause problems with flowering.

I used to grow in Fox farm soil and it's good you're using reverse osmosis water, because it doesn't play well with hard water. It also doesn't handle a lot of fertilization very well, even though they'll give you a schedule that has you feeding right from the get-go. I think it's very reasonable to flush your plants about three times during a fox farm soil grow when you are also feeding.

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-07-20), ToughCall (04-07-20)

Thanks

Would you think its still ok to do a 20 to 25% defoliation? There is just a lot of leaves as well as tops (soon to be buttons). But the for the age its showing - minor volume of white hairs, I'd like to know if its still ok to trim these girls up one more time or should I leave as is?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-07-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Would you think its still ok to do a 20 to 25% defoliation? There is just a lot of leaves as well as tops (soon to be buttons). But the for the age its showing - minor volume of white hairs, I'd like to know if its still ok to trim these girls up one more time or should I leave as is?
    If the plants are healthy it's a good idea, especially when you're humidity is getting up there. The less leaves to transpire the lower your humidity will be.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-07-20), ToughCall (06-07-20)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200707_230008.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	385484, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200707_225628.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	385485, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200707_225708.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	385486,

Quick update on flowering progress. Seeing more white hairs on the two plants that popped on March 11th, one is OG Kush, the other is Kryptonite.
    The remaining 3 that popped on March 19th have a some hairs sporadically showing, one OG Kush (70% Indica), & two are Kryptonite (50%Sativa).

Would like advice on changing light schedule to 11 on, 13 off. Will that help my flowering situation? The heat has been intense and I believe that has been the long delay in flowering based on feedback and other areas I've read, that it adds stress etc.

July and August are typically hot months and although the leaves and stems still look great, I'd like to speed up the process, but wondered if that adds to the stress. They've been in 12/12 since June 6th, the pictures are from the two oldest plants.

People are always saying this is the critical period where issues can occur.
    Please take a moment to check out the pictures and let me know if this would be beneficial or not.

Peace.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-20), Jingo (08-07-20)