Thread: Electrics, sockets, ballasts etc

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

Default Electrics, sockets, ballasts etc

I'm setting up this new groom and having paid attention to a recent thread, figured it'd be wise to try understand the electrical side of things a bit more.
    I have 2 sockets. 1 dedicated to the grow and 1 that has a 3 way plug in and the washing machine and a 6 socket extension plugged in doing nothing atm, used it for last grow. Obvs wash machine isn't used all the time, just once a year
    Ill most likely be using 150w IS and hopefully a new 260 qb depending on when they're available . If not then it'll be the 150w and 2 600w hps ballasts. Hows best to set this up safely using the 2 sockets? Washer can go on at lights out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), Jingo (04-07-20), Mac (04-07-20), Stickysticky (04-07-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,502 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    I'm setting up this new groom and having paid attention to a recent thread, figured it'd be wise to try understand the electrical side of things a bit more.
    I have 2 sockets. 1 dedicated to the grow and 1 that has a 3 way plug in and the washing machine and a 6 socket extension plugged in doing nothing atm, used it for last grow. Obvs wash machine isn't used all the time, just once a year
    Ill most likely be using 150w IS and hopefully a new 260 qb depending on when they're available . If not then it'll be the 150w and 2 600w hps ballasts. Hows best to set this up safely using the 2 sockets? Washer can go on at lights out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Im from UK and I have all mine running off one socket from a double socket from the wall. After seeing what you posted I thought shit maybe mine isn't the best, running all that from one plug. I rang a friend and from what I gathered from what he said. The socket has 13amp fuse in which is capable of 3000watts so should be fine. Put it this way a kettle can be 1800watts to even over 2000watts. So putting the kettle on is well over the watts I run for my grow. He said only time you might have a problem is if you turn everything on at the same time and there is a big inrush of power.

I probably haven't helped you at all but I'll be following just to see what people say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), Mac (04-07-20), MrC (04-07-20), M_C (04-07-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickysticky View Post
    Im from UK and I have all mine running off one socket from a double socket from the wall. After seeing what you posted I thought shit maybe mine isn't the best, running all that from one plug. I rang a friend and from what I gathered from what he said. The socket has 13amp fuse in which is capable of 3000watts so should be fine. Put it this way a kettle can be 1800watts to even over 2000watts. So putting the kettle on is well over the watts I run for my grow. He said only time you might have a problem is if you turn everything on at the same time and there is a big inrush of power.

I probably haven't helped you at all but I'll be following just to see what people say

I think you have tbf mate So I guess that's why they go on about these timer socket things where the ballast goes into the timer and the timer goes into a special socket, that then goes into your standard extension? Maybe lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), Stickysticky (05-07-20)

Thanks

Something like this per ballast maybe?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), M_C (04-07-20), Stickysticky (04-07-20)

Thanks

I think you have tbf mate So I guess that's why they go on about these timer socket things where the ballast goes into the timer and the timer goes into a special socket, that then goes into your standard extension? Maybe lol
    I have quite a few extensions my self, I buy the surge protected ones but to be honest I don't even have a clue if they are safer or just the same difference but they just make me feel like it maybe safer lmaoo. I'd say my grow doesn't run over 800watts, In fact probably a lot less

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), MrC (04-07-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickysticky View Post
    I have quite a few extensions my self, I buy the surge protected ones but to be honest I don't even have a clue if they are safer or just the same difference but they just make me feel like it maybe safer lmaoo. I'd say my grow doesn't run over 800watts, In fact probably a lot less

Lol, pretty sure I've said those exact words about surge protection I think it's the initial startup of the lights at lights on that require better protection. Wonder if theres an extension lead with these built in timers that you can use osci fans, extractor etc in too

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), Stickysticky (04-07-20)

Thanks

Lol, pretty sure I've said those exact words about surge protection I think it's the initial startup of the lights at lights on that require better protection. Wonder if theres an extension lead with these built in timers that you can use osci fans, extractor etc in too
    I'm all led so it's sound, hps can be abit naughty on the watts like and if you can't get timer built in just buy them little timer plugs and delay one a couple a mins of it makes you feel better maybe. I think either way you would be sound but it's always good to overthink sometimes. I don't have a clue about electrics really apart from the 2 minute phone call I had. Hahaha

Just seen something like this but first thing I seen when I was looking. Sure there is all sorts out there

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-07-20), GEORGE (04-07-20), MrC (04-07-20)

Thanks

I got this one from Growell, you still need a timer plug but apparently it’s the safest way to plug in something high powered. My lights 1000w and it was screwing my timers up.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justeatit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-07-20), MrC (05-07-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justeatit View Post
    I got this one from Growell, you still need a timer plug but apparently it’s the safest way to plug in something high powered. My lights 1000w and it was screwing my timers up.

Yeh that's it mate, I knew I'd seen this in a thread somewhere, thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-07-20), Justeatit (05-07-20)