Thread: Plant leaves browning and getting brittle during flower

Thanks

Default Plant leaves browning and getting brittle during flower

Hello fellow growers.

These 2 plants are part of my first grow, here some details:

• Strain: Diesel auto & QuickOne auto
    • Grow medium: 50/50 mixture of Soil and coco with ~10% perlite
    • Light : Started them indoor under a set of LED modules ( ~60W, DIY ) Put outdoors in week 6
    • Pot size: 4.2gal / 16l fabric ( "root pouch" )
    • Nutrient type and schedule : Early on I used a 7-3-5 fertilizer slowly raising the dosage until I reached the recommended one. Since flowering started I'm using PK 13-14 'enhancer' from Plagron at it's recommended dose with every watering ( too much? )
    • Watering schedule: Using tap-water, no PH-meter - I think my watering is on point now after some earlier mistakes during veg

Now on to the problem - lately some of the lower fan-leaves developed curling/browning at the tips which are very brittle. I suspect it's either a potassium deficiency or nutrient burn. Maybe one of you pros can pinpoint the problem for me - I gave them pure water yesterday with quite some run off just in case it's nutrient build-up in the soil.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deficiency.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	385719  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-07-20), Jumper114 (16-07-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Looks like nutrient burn and some heat stress to me. Looks like a fair amount of 'tacoing' going on. As they are outdoors, its not light.

A photo with lights off and a flash would make it easier to be sure.
    Last edited by Jumper114; 16-07-20 at 08:51 AM.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-07-20), got_milk (16-07-20), M_C (17-07-20)

Thanks

Thanks, Jumper. They're outside on the balcony and im getting decent-ish sunlight these days. I'll make a photo with flash tonight and post it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Not sure what you can do other than ease off their feed and see how they behave. I would normally recommend giving them a good flush to ensure no salt build up. However, without a pH meter, and being neither full soil or coco - that could do more harm than good.

In flower they will need a little N as well as PK. I taper down N whilst slowly up PK - whilst maintaining the same EC. I would recommend an EC and PH pen if you continue to use nutrients !

Be aware, PK13-14 is very strong stuff. You want to be 1/4 strength and gently go up. Every feed? Seems excessive for the stage your girls are at..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-07-20), got_milk (16-07-20)

Thanks

I put plain water yesterday with a bit of run off and will do the same for the next watering whilst closely monitoring for new brown spots - let's hope for the best. I'll make some more photos tonight either way, I have 4 more autos that might have gotten a bit too much N as their leaves are noticeably more dark green than the others. ( other than that the leaves look healthy, no clawing )

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here some more photos taken in the dark with a DSLR + flash.

These are my 4 new family members - 3x Bubble Kush and one Royal Critical. They were just moved outdoor and look healthy besides the leaves being a tad too dark. ( most likely overdid it with the N-dominant fertilizer )

And here a group photo - I built the planter for my 4 initial plants. One tiny HazeBerry is already chopped which leaves 2 more and a Royal Kush which was germinated a few weks later.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-07-20)

Thanks

After giving leaving out all nutrients for the last 2 waterings with a bit of run-off it doesn't seem that the issue got worse / spread to other leaves. I guess it could be worse, let's see if the buds continue to develop - as this is my first grow I see it as a learning moment

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-07-20), Jumper114 (21-07-20)