Thread: DWC Noob - First grow questions

Thanks

Default DWC Noob - First grow questions

I'm in the middle of researching/buying everything I need for a DWC setup and just have some questions for things that are taking up lots of internet time researching.

1) How often do I need to change my reservoir water, assuming everything is going okay? (I know this is a topic of much debate)
    2) How do I actually fill/change it? I have 2x84ltr(22 US Gallons) reservoirs (thought of using an auto siphon to empty and attaching a hosepipe to my shower hose) Because of electrics, I don't want to be carrying heavy water filled reservoirs in and out of my tent
    3) Am I right in thinking that I would need to fill them up to about 16 US gallons? (around 3/4 of the res)
    4) Is there any scientific evidence on what the best nutrients are to use? There's too much choice and too many opinions online. This suggests that there is no consensus, but I just want to be sure!
    5) By my calculations, using Flora Duo in 16 gallons of water, I'd need about 2L of A and 4 litres of B - does this sound about right? That seems like an awful lot for one grow cycle, but it also seems correct.
    6) Is 4 circulation fans overkill? I'm thinking of having 1 under the canopy, 2 blowing over the top and 1 more blowing towards the lights.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimJones23 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (10-08-20), GEORGE (10-08-20), Jingo (10-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

I don't do DWC so can't help with most but use EC rather than litres to measure your nutrient concentration
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I don't do DWC so can't help with most but use EC rather than litres to measure your nutrient concentration
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I meant in terms of how much to buy?

But I do take your point!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimJones23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

I wouldn't buy a system, I think they're all poorly matched products that you'll end up modifying or replacing later anyway.

The simplest way to get into deep water culture is just to have yourself one bucket with one net pot one air pump and one plant. when the plant is young it will take an entire week to drain a 5 gallon bucket, when it's getting close to harvest it'll drain that bucket every couple of days. all you have to do is mix up a new bucket of nutrients and lift the net pot off the old bucket and drop it right down into the new bucket and away you go.

You get a chance to experience deep water culture without investing a whole bunch of money and it's an easy system to expand if you want to.

You just go ahead and drop your airline right straight down through the net pot that way when you pick up the net pot everything moves along with it. If you want to get fancy get yourself some black plastic drip line to use this airlines that way it doesn't get any light in your reservoirs and they're hard enough to where if you accidentally set a bucket down on top of the line it won't cut off your oxygen.

Add a pH pen or a TDS/EC meter and you're good to go.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (10-08-20), GEORGE (10-08-20), JimJones23 (10-08-20)

Thanks

DWC noob here too, so don't take my word for gospel, this is just info I've got from here and the internet. All of these sentences should be started with something along the lines of "What I did was..." as what I'm doing might not be the optimal thing, but it's working so far.

1) The first time I changed mine was after 7 days, but it'll be two weeks on Thursday which is when I'm going to change it again. Nothing bad has happened thus far. Using baby bleach and soaking equipment for about 4 hours before refilling res and setting it up again.
    2) Unfortunately, I can't help you there. This is my first hydro so I spent cheap; my bucket is 19 litres and I only have the one, so I just empty mine in the bath.
    3) When the roots have established, I'm guessing the res should be 3/4 or 2/3 full. When the roots are starting out, you want the water level to be barely touching the bucket, and reduce over time with the root growth. My roots are about 2-3 inches long on my clone and they are maybe 1/2 cm from the water level. The bubbles from the airpump popping at the surface splashes the roots with water. My logic to this is it causes the roots to grow down and look for water.
    4) I wouldn't like to say as I've only recently bought into the marketing of cannabis specific nutes since getting into hydro as I don't want to screw it up. I'm using "Growth Technology IONIC Hydro HW Grow" simply because it's not one of those 3 bottle systems and I want to get to grips with hydro first before using A+B+Micro systems. Whether one is better than the other, I've no idea. Some people swear by them, other people have great results using Tomorite.
    5)EC pen and pH pen. No which way around it for getting nutrient levels spot on. Start at 1/4 strength and go from there.
    6) If it keeps your temps correct, 4 fans is fine. I've got a swamp cooler and a single desk fan and it seems okay, though I'd be happier if I had a tower fan in there, too.

Hope this helps, and if I've got anything wrong, more experienced growers will guide you in the right direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NexSacramentum For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-08-20), JimJones23 (11-08-20), Jingo (10-08-20)

Thanks

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this however I never change the water in my reservoir I used to and honestly I've never noticed any difference in yield or taste I just keep an eye on the ppm (EC) and give water only in the last week or so before harvest I don't like to overcomplicated things and never had any problems yet I've tried using flawless finish and it's been a waste of money as it didn't improve anything.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redsgum For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-08-20), JimJones23 (11-08-20), Jingo (11-08-20)