Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potential for hydro? Non-peroxide based Pythium spp. "curative" treatment

Thanks

Default Potential for hydro? Non-peroxide based Pythium spp. "curative" treatment

Story time! Sorry if this has been discussed before, I typed out this post before realising theres a search function but my ego put too much effort into this post.

As I've been freaking out about pythium on my hydro grow (I'm not even sure it is but some roots have been a pale brown colour for some time, but no slime, so here's to hoping its nute stain) I started looking up ways to prevent and treat it. The agreed method seems to be peroxide based products for hydro when looking online. The catch with this is, if pythium is established or survives the weekly res clean, the concentrations of peroxide needed may kill your plant before it kills the fungus.

I started looking a little deeper into the general info of pythium instead of pythium issues related to cannabis growing and came across a product called Banol, a fungicide for ornamental and turf grass for golf courses.
    Looking further into it the active ingredient of this is propamocarb hydrochloride. I dug a little deeper and saw it's a Category D pesticide, indicating minimal carcinogenic risk, and also has minimal to no effect on the endocrine system of humans, though it's still not recommended for pregnant women to consume products that it's been used on (apparently Dutch greenhouses use it *hinthint*)

Now, Banol claims to be preventative and curative all without peroxide, and is safe to use on ornamental grass and turf, but all my searching for Banol or propamocarb use on soil or hydro growing for weed had been nil, so hypothetical time, boys and gals. Do you think the use of propamocarb would be viable for hydro grows?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NexSacramentum For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Jingo (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20), M_C (12-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

Well hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and hydrogen, I couldn't find what this stuff breaks down into. The warnings about handling suggest it's a skin irritant and should not be inhaled.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20), M_C (12-08-20), NexSacramentum (12-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Well hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and hydrogen, I couldn't find what this stuff breaks down into. The warnings about handling suggest it's a skin irritant and should not be inhaled.

J

Well, hello, egg on my face. Thank-you for that. It was a farcry from what I was expecting but I'm glad you took more notice than I did. Sorry for the fleeting poor judgement, guys.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NexSacramentum For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NexSacramentum View Post
    Well, hello, egg on my face. Thank-you for that. It was a farcry from what I was expecting but I'm glad you took more notice than I did. Sorry for the fleeting poor judgement, guys.
    I don't know that it's poor judgment, I just wasn't able to research anything that made me feel good about it.

J

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20), NexSacramentum (12-08-20)

Thanks

Well, it felt like poor judgement putting an idea out there that could possibly lead to lung irritation upon my lack of looking into the subject further, so I appreciate your input.

I've had a quick look around, and on "Federal Register / Vol. 69, No. 47 / Wednesday, March 10, 2004" says this about the metabolism:

A. Residue Chemistry
    1. Plant metabolism. The fate of propamocarb hydrochloride in plants is clearly understood. Metabolism studies in cucumbers, potatoes, and spinach demonstrated that propamocarb hydrochloride is degraded into carbon dioxide, which is
    reincorporated into natural plant constituents. The primary residue found in all crops, and the only residue of concern, is the parent, propamocarb hydrochloride"
    Ref: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...pdf/E4-464.pdf

The EPA says that it's not acutely toxic, so given that (I assume) most users here smoke more than once a week, I'd say that falls outside of acute use. Long term exposure could be a completely different story. You're 100% right in saying about potential irritation, and nobody wants that on their lungs.

This is all for educational purposes, I'm not trying to argue my point, it's probably not the best idea to be inhaling things made for ornamental grasses.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NexSacramentum For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Jingo (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20)

Thanks

Well that information just makes it even more interesting to me, it sounds like something that you could use and probably determine a length of time to flush it out to make it safe. It looks like the breakdown products would be carbon dioxide and then for the other part it's hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid is probably the irritant.

J

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Holy shoot, I missed that, where did it say about hydrochloric acid? I thought I read it broke down into CO2 and residual propamocarb hydrochloride :/// If it breaks down into HCl then I'll kill this thread right here.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NexSacramentum For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Jingo (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NexSacramentum View Post
    Holy shoot, I missed that, where did it say about hydrochloric acid? I thought I read it broke down into CO2 and residual propamocarb hydrochloride :/// If it breaks down into HCl then I'll kill this thread right here.
    I got that from the European equivalent of a material data safety sheet.

J

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-08-20), GEORGE (12-08-20), Mac (12-08-20), M_C (12-08-20)

Thanks

I'm personally not concerned about the hydrochloric acid I've used sulfonated oils with my plants and had good results and sulfonated oils have had sulfuric acid applied to them.

J

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'd be curious if there's any research using this stuff with tobacco, seeing as how they're so little out there on cannabis these days.

J

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast