Thread: Bud rot

Thanks

Default Bud rot

I've had a bit of bud rot develop on a plant that was very close to harvesting day. I'd been flushing it, but I started a bit too early. I was going off of a different strain and how quick that was to turn from milky to brown. So it's predominantly milky strands but I've picked it solely due to not wanting the whole plant to go to waste. I think I exposed it to too high a humidity in a PVC greenhouse. The strain is Pineapple Express by Barney's seeds.
    To cut a long story short... If I removed the bad bits, and any discoloured bit, is it still salvageable?
    I've separated the affected stems from the other stems to avoid cross contamination

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bowserboy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-08-20), Jingo (18-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

If you look at your moldy parts and then follow down the stem till you get to the first calix at a node that calix should be the same color as the mold in the flower.

Check a few just to make sure you see the difference and then use that as a guide, everything above a moldy or turning moldy looking calyx should be considered bad. If the calyx is the correct color usually a yellow to green color you're fine. If you start seeing moldy brown colors you'll find probably as much mold and brown color as you see in your calyx. so if your calyx is turned halfway to an ugly brown somewhere above in a bud you're going to find the same color ugly brown.

I just had a pineapple Express outdoor get some mold It was a big surprise to me the humidity was very low and the temperatures very high, maybe that allowed for some moisture to say trapped inside a bud or something. but I used that system and every time there was any mold above the calyx at the first node below the mold showed the exact same colors.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Bowserboy (18-08-20), GEORGE (18-08-20), Lowrollerbean (18-08-20)

Thanks

[QUOTE=jingo;1071111274]If you look at your moldy parts and then follow down the stem till you get to the first calix at a node that calix should be the same color as the mold in the flower.

Check a few just to make sure you see the difference and then use that as a guide, everything above a moldy or turning moldy looking calyx should be considered bad. If the calyx is the correct color usually a yellow to green color you're fine. If you start seeing moldy brown colors you'll find probably as much mold and brown color as you see in your calyx. so if your calyx is turned halfway to an ugly brown somewhere above in a bud you're going to find the same color ugly brown.

I just had a pineapple Express outdoor get some mold It was a big surprise to me the humidity was very low and the temperatures very high, maybe that allowed for some moisture to say trapped inside a bud or something. but I used that system and every time there was any mold above the calyx at the first node below the mold showed the exact same colors.

J

It won't allow me to post a picture of it to you as I've not made enough posts yet, but... I've mostly removed the worst ones. It spread to some leaves and bud, and I removed all of that. A lot of the bud is perfectly green. The inside of the stems are still fully green too. Looking at bud rot pics mine really isn't horrific. It was little areas about an inch-2 inches worth, mostly at the top, but spread sporadically around the plant. Googling what a calyx is, I have removed any of them that are bad, but again, they were spread out a little
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200818_132851.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	386991  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bowserboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

That picture doesn't show any bud rot, the calyxes don't need to be removed they're just diagnostic of everything above that node, it's just a way of determining how much rot you have further up in your plant.

In the picture you have there that just looks like a leave or something that died back and there is a natural fungus that breaks down those leaves when they die and that can turn into bud rod if you leave those leaves in there. But it's not what people talk about is being bud rot.

J

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Bowserboy (18-08-20), GEORGE (18-08-20), IceCalibur (18-08-20)

Thanks

Yeah the picture I've managed to upload isn't bad, but there was definitely furry brown/black leaves and bud that I've picked off already. Think I'll keep what I got that doesn't look infected, and thanks for the help!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bowserboy For This Useful Post: