Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HPS to LED guys

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,404 Times

Default HPS to LED guys

Hi guys,has anyone switched from 600w HPS to LED and found a light which is comparable in yield and quality?
    What is the claimed wattage,and actual usage?
    Aprox cost?
    1 large unit v 2 smaller units?

I am interested in LED lighting but I don't want ripped off,I don't want to lose out on yield or quality,I have a 4x4 tent and will probably be doing 4 auto's each time.
    Thanks guys.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (28-08-20), GEORGE (19-08-20), Krofam (19-08-20), Mac (19-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20), tlh2496 (15-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,628 Times

My lumi grow pro 325 LEDs outperform a 600 watt HID. The real big performance increase is a much better penetration, I can get good dense buds 30 in down below the canopy. The drawback is I have a 3x3 footprint. You could get a bigger footprint with a 600 watt HID. In fact when I used to grow photos I would grow two under a 600 watt HID and now that I'm using my lumigrose I only grow one, it's just a hell of a lot bigger than the two plants I used to grow. The actual draw for my LEDs is 300 watts.

My lights are about 8 years old I would kind of imagine the technology has improved since then. Although they were on the cutting edge back in the day. I bought five of those lights on eBay for between $300 and $500 a piece and only one that I have to work on, the rest were all in great shape.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (28-08-20), GEORGE (19-08-20), IceCalibur (28-08-20), Krofam (19-08-20), Lowrollerbean (19-08-20), Mac (19-08-20), M_C (29-08-20), scoot (20-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20), tlh2496 (15-11-20), Valentina (28-08-20)

Thanks

I don't know lol,I am looking at grow diaries to try compare LED V HPS and I see long spindly branches with popcorn buds on them with LED compared to the donkey dick and hand grenade buds that I see from HPS.
    I've been looking at quantum boards but I don't think the yield is at the point yet to make the switch from HPS to LED,maybe it's just me after looking at pics of buds with 2 SF quantum boards in the same size of tent as mine compared to 1-600w HPS I'm thinking maybe I should go for 2x315CMH instead of LED,I like HUGE chunky buds its what I grew up with haha.
    I would love to save money on my grows but from what I am seeing just now I would need 600w of actual draw LED to get even close to a 600w HPS,the LED setup would cost way more than replacing a 600w HPS bulb or even buying 2 315 CMH kits and by then the energy savings are nill,whereas I love what I see and read regarding CMH.

I do have a hollandstar 1000w blurple(actual draw 200w),I might finish off my topped GG auto under it just to see how she does.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (28-08-20), GEORGE (28-08-20), Krofam (28-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Try A cob light, you will like it. jmo

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (28-08-20), scoot (29-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scootb View Post
    I don't know lol,I am looking at grow diaries to try compare LED V HPS and I see long spindly branches with popcorn buds on them with LED compared to the donkey dick and hand grenade buds that I see from HPS.
    I've been looking at quantum boards but I don't think the yield is at the point yet to make the switch from HPS to LED,maybe it's just me after looking at pics of buds with 2 SF quantum boards in the same size of tent as mine compared to 1-600w HPS I'm thinking maybe I should go for 2x315CMH instead of LED,I like HUGE chunky buds its what I grew up with haha.
    I would love to save money on my grows but from what I am seeing just now I would need 600w of actual draw LED to get even close to a 600w HPS,the LED setup would cost way more than replacing a 600w HPS bulb or even buying 2 315 CMH kits and by then the energy savings are nill,whereas I love what I see and read regarding CMH.

I do have a hollandstar 1000w blurple(actual draw 200w),I might finish off my topped GG auto under it just to see how she does.
    Ohhh I'd have to politely disagree with you here scootb, just off the top of my head, check these two recent grows out ;

Gardro's beast --> Linky
    Stickysticky's beast --> Linky

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (28-08-20), British green (29-08-20), GEORGE (28-08-20), scoot (29-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20), spBudder (25-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Ohhh I'd have to politely disagree with you here scootb, just off the top of my head, check these two recent grows out ;

Gardro's beast --> Linky
    Stickysticky's beast --> Linky
    How much do those lights cost though,and how much power do they actually draw?
    Those are nice looking buds,but most LED grows are nothing like those 2.

If I could get buds like those from LED,pulling at least 3oz dry/plant doing 3-4 plants a time I'd be interested,but again it also comes down to the cost of the units,how many units are needed,and the actual draw per unit as well.
    I'm seeing boards advertised as say SF 4000,actual draw is 450w and the price tag of $820cdn that's a lot of cash to splash to find out if something is decent or shit.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-09-20), GEORGE (29-08-20), Skunkpunch (08-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by scootb View Post
    How much do those lights cost though,and how much power do they actually draw?
    Those are nice looking buds,but most LED grows are nothing like those 2.

If I could get buds like those from LED,pulling at least 3oz dry/plant doing 3-4 plants a time I'd be interested,but again it also comes down to the cost of the units,how many units are needed,and the actual draw per unit as well.
    I'm seeing boards advertised as say SF 4000,actual draw is 450w and the price tag of $820cdn that's a lot of cash to splash to find out if something is decent or shit.
    Sorry but this is nonsense
    I've done a side by side with double 315cmh next to a 600h (actually pulling 600) and not only yielded better not alot but it was more dense and had more trichomes, that could be because I added reds and blues (a benefit) the light cost I can't remember say 4 times a basic 600 hid set but it'll last me 10 plus years.
    I save money on my extraction plus a benefit of quite fans.
    Maybe look at decent leds brother
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (29-08-20), Blue61 (22-09-20), British green (29-08-20), gardro (29-08-20), GEORGE (29-08-20), IceCalibur (29-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Led was sometimes better quality than HID and sometimes worse in yield.

Nowadays its just better.

The only limitation is amount of total light system watts ( include ballasts ) in the room. Below roughly 200w, arguments for HID hold. Above that, HID has no benefit whatsoever.

Possibly HPS produce less rot as the buds are looser. Thats ironic as those that havent used led believe HPS is denser. Funny that.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-09-20), British green (29-08-20), GEORGE (29-08-20), IceCalibur (29-08-20), WhIpLaSh (29-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    Sorry but this is nonsense
    I've done a side by side with double 315cmh next to a 600h (actually pulling 600) and not only yielded better not alot but it was more dense and had more trichomes, that could be because I added reds and blues (a benefit) the light cost I can't remember say 4 times a basic 600 hid set but it'll last me 10 plus years.
    I save money on my extraction plus a benefit of quite fans.
    Maybe look at decent leds brother
    Redz
    What is nonsense?
    Look at LED grow diaries and you will see the majority of the buds are small,those 2 diaries that were posted are very impressive but not the average LED grow prove me wrong on this!!
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what I originally asked about actual wattage,cost per unit,how many units,etc

I'm not trying to bash LED's as I am genuinely interested but the information out there is extremely misleading,example like you said you done a side by side 2x315CMH v 600h(I'm guessing thats LED),are you saying that to equal 600w HPS or 630w CMH you need to have 600w actual draw of LED rather than what LED manufacturers advertise?

I am asking these questions as I am hoping that next month I will have some cash to splash making it the ideal time for me to switch to LED but again I don't want to waste money by buying something shitty as there as so many LED manufacturers and so many mixed reviews,some swear by Mars hydro,others absolutely HATE Mars hydro,some are mentioning Spider farmer,others are saying stay away from them.If I splash the cash on LED I want it to be an investment that I don't regret again this is why I am asking the questions that I am,not to put down LED lights or those using them!

Instead of someone saying "Hey I went from 600w HPS to this LED setup,it cost this much,actual draw is this,and my results with LED are as good or not as good as when I grew HPS" I am getting the defensive LED posts,no information Jingo is the only one that actually listed a grow light and gave some information so far which is what I am actually looking for.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Led was sometimes better quality than HID and sometimes worse in yield.

Nowadays its just better.

The only limitation is amount of total light system watts ( include ballasts ) in the room. Below roughly 200w, arguments for HID hold. Above that, HID has no benefit whatsoever.

Possibly HPS produce less rot as the buds are looser. Thats ironic as those that havent used led believe HPS is denser. Funny that.
    You give no information on wattage,units,cost,grow comparison etc.. which is what I am looking for if I am going to spend money switching to LED see my response above,the entire reason that I created this post,again the only person to actually provide any information so far has been Jingo.
    All you are saying is LED is better than HPS,now that would entirely depend on the LED wouldn't it? Actual draw,LED type,LED colour,etc.etc.etc.

Again I am not bashing LED or LED growers I am looking for information from those guys that have switched from 600w HPS to LED before I decide to switch to LED or not,so while promoting LED how about providing some actual information and then maybe some more of us will have actually used LED for growing,which is why I titled this post HPS to LED guys ironically enough.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast