Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bugs on my plants!!! :((

Thanks

Default Bugs on my plants!!! :((

I had a house plant that got destroyed by those little flies, I binned them as soon as I noticed but they have somehow made their way into my tent and my plants are in trouble now. Is there any way to save these? The leaves are speckled. All plants are flowering but crawling with these little fucks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E47D22A-1C7C-4A7A-A81A-33237B23C6AA.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	387197

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E3668A5-A0C2-4FFE-8C4B-A0A887227281.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	387198

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to High Land Lad For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), Mac (22-08-20)

Thanks

I think they are “fungus gnats”

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to High Land Lad For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), Mac (22-08-20)

5. Default

Hello High Land Lad, I think we're looking at Thrips here (again), seems to be a lot of it around recently..

However just to be sure, here is a few pics that might help you confirm from your side as it is difficult for us to see from the pictures you shared ;

Thrip young stage ;

Thrip adult stage ;

Example of Thrip damage ;

Fungus gnat ;

Example of fungus gnat damage ;

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), High Land Lad (22-08-20), Mac (22-08-20), Vlad the Inhaler (24-08-20)

7. Default

Have a little look from your side to compare, and let us now what you think so we can further advise

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), High Land Lad (22-08-20), Mac (22-08-20)

Thanks

I think it may be both actually. This thirp type of damage had been there a long while and I never noticed them, plants don’t look too bad. The gnat damage is only really there at the bottoms of the plants, and they are more obvious to spot, I assumed the thirps were their lava but could be two types of bug! Certainly looks like thirps on the leaves, tiny little things and they are on a lot of my leaves

10. The Following User Says Thank You to High Land Lad For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20)

Thanks

I have been giving them water from a stream so it is probably that which caused them. I will switch to regular tap water as I know it is fine anyway was just trying to give the plants a treat by giving them natural water!
    Any other advice to get rid of this would be good, plants are only 2-3 weeks into flowering so hopefully it can be sorted now?!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to High Land Lad For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), Jingo (22-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

If they are fungus gnats or most other flyers they have a stage where they live down in your roots, if you put a barrier on top of your growing medium you can interrupt that stage. I used 2 in of thoroughly washed clay pebbles, in a pinch I've gone with something like reptile sand. you don't have to use reptile sand but it's usually pre-clean and it's usually a nice size grit. Anyway, that will keep them from getting back down in there again if you should happen to get rid of them.

I don't think it's too late to do a root drench with neem oil and spray the stems and leaves trying to avoid the flowers and then put up sticky traps. That would probably knock them down hard enough to let you finish without too much trouble.

If they are thrips they'll just be that much easier to get rid of because they have a stage in your soil also, they'll crawl up along your stems and you'll see them on your stem sometimes.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), IceCalibur (22-08-20)

15. Default

Here's a fantastic link to some IPM

Redisiel - IPM(intergrated pest management) - Clicky

I have currently been visited by these thrips (not the first time) and I have successfully eradicated them with predator mites, here's some more information/options ;

Check out ;

' Amblyseius cucumeris ' sachets, although they do not kill adult thrips, they do eat the eggs and larvae, here is a quote of information ;

"Thrip Killer contains the predatory mite; Amblyseius cucumeris / Neoseiulus cucumeris. These predatory mites feed on thrip larvae and their eggs. They feed mainly on the small or first instar larvae of Western Flower thrip (Frankiniella occidentalis). They are not able to eat the larger larvae or adults, although they will also feed on spider mites. It is important to have the predatory mites at the times when thrips may be present."

They did a cracking job and wiped out thrips completely on my 2 mug grows I previously did..the plus side is they also eat spider mites

You could go for ' Amblyseius swirskii '..some info ;

"Premium thrip killer sachets contain the predatory mite Amblyseius swirskii. This predatory mite feeds on multiple stages of thrip larvae present on the plant foliage itself."

" Amblyseius swirskii outperforms the alternative Amblyseius cucumeris given suitable conditions. The Swirskii predators will kill larger stages of thrip larvae than Cucumeris meaning they eliminate larger amounts of a pest population. Swirskii mites will also consume whitefly eggs giving additional protection."

You could also go for ' Orius laevigatus ' which I might add I found on one of my girls a while back which naturally flew on it! ..info ;

"The Orius predatory bug feeds on thrips, spider mites and even aphids. Orius will feed on thrip adults and larvae including larger larvae. They are often found in flowers , as they also feed on pollen. Both the adult and the nymph stage of the life cycle will feed on thrips. Orius can take a few weeks to establish and will adapt better where a source of pollen is also available. "

There is of course a chemical spray option, which is systemic..so please do your research before using, some do not like using them, others feel they are perfectly safe, that's for each of us to decide upon...a good one is Ultimate Bug killer and Bug clear..recommended by many top growers here on our forum ;

Jingo also offers great advice too, more than one way to do things and none are wrong, so have a little research and choose a method that suits you

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), High Land Lad (22-08-20), Jingo (22-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

I'm going to be studying a lot more on using the beneficial bugs for next year, mostly what I do these days is just try and help the plant survive as best as it can till the end. I do prophylactic foliar treatments with SM90 up until the point they head into flower and then I stop. That's when all my issues start.

J

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), IceCalibur (22-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,311 Times

https://youtu.be/mAE9YUmjbGw

I mix powdered Barley with DE. Insects shell is penetrated with the powder and they dehydrate within 24 hours. Impossible to survive.

When adding Barley powder to soil, the mycelium mold creates a crust on top of soil, creating a healthier environment for plants by helping to repel insects.

I even powder the top of the grass outside where the dogs lay in the grass to keep tics and fleas off em. I hate using any topicals on dogs. Dont trust em. And the garden and fruit trees outside.

When we go outside on the deck, if theres a bunch of insects, ill just powder the tops and insides of the Alpine Current bushes, and on the perimeter of the deck floor, no insects.

Dont breath the fine powder, cant be good for us or pets to breath.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2Relax For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-08-20), IceCalibur (22-08-20), Jingo (22-08-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast