Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small Pot vs. Big Pot

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,419 Times

Default Small Pot vs. Big Pot

Hi fellow Talkers,

I am wondering what y'all think between a small pot vs. a big pot.

After watching all the great plants grown in Pepsi bottles and Actimel bottles I am thinking about changing
    how I grow. I don't need massive yields per plant. I would be fine with a zip of quality bud per plant.
    Am thinking of growing in 6 one gallon pots with 3 or 4 different strains. Really want that variety of
    multiple strains. Do y'all think 1 once per plant is very doable?

Please feel free to discuss this topic freely. It does not have to be specific to my question.
    Think it could be interesting.

Peace

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (25-08-20), El Danko (25-08-20), GEORGE (25-08-20), Jingo (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (11-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue61 View Post
    Hi fellow Talkers,

I am wondering what y'all think between a small pot vs. a big pot.

After watching all the great plants grown in Pepsi bottles and Actimel bottles I am thinking about changing
    how I grow. I don't need massive yields per plant. I would be fine with a zip of quality bud per plant.
    Am thinking of growing in 6 one gallon pots with 3 or 4 different strains. Really want that variety of
    multiple strains. Do y'all think 1 once per plant is very doable?

Please feel free to discuss this topic freely. It does not have to be specific to my question.
    Think it could be interesting.

Peace
    I also would like the answer to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to El Danko For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (25-08-20), Blue61 (25-08-20), GEORGE (25-08-20), Jingo (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

If you're doing coco size isn't a huge concern.

What's your method?

sent from space

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (25-08-20), GEORGE (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    If you're doing coco size isn't a huge concern.

What's your method?

sent from space
    In a 1.2x1.2m tent how many plants could you flower in small pots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Danko For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

When you see the seed companies giving yield per square meter, what they are really doing is growing in about one gallon pots and having nine per square meter. They flip very early and then allow the plants to grow up quickly as just kind of pecker poles with buds on them.

Small pots with Coco or another soilless medium on auto water will produce monster plants, that's almost like doing hydro because you're feeding and watering multiple times per day and getting more oxygen into the roots.

I've been thinking of doing a number of small pots and sticking with soil, I'm confident if I use a good autoflower I can get about two zips per plant. Avoiding problems that is.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (25-08-20), GEORGE (25-08-20), Keepitsimple (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,419 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    When you see the seed companies giving yield per square meter, what they are really doing is growing in about one gallon pots and having nine per square meter. They flip very early and then allow the plants to grow up quickly as just kind of pecker poles with buds on them.

Small pots with Coco or another soilless medium on auto water will produce monster plants, that's almost like doing hydro because you're feeding and watering multiple times per day and getting more oxygen into the roots.

I've been thinking of doing a number of small pots and sticking with soil, I'm confident if I use a good autoflower I can get about two zips per plant. Avoiding problems that is.

J

I am going with soil, at least for the next grow because I already bought it a couple months ago.
    I was thinking I can keep the plants smaller and train them to get plenty of tops and do like
    a sog the size of my T5 light fixture. I was shocked at how big the buds got on the secondary
    branches this past grow seeing how they were a good 16-20 inches from the light.
    My thinking is a nice even canopy should produce a decent yield.
    I am going to be putting in lots of dissolved oxygen in to the ro water am going to use.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue61 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-08-20), Jingo (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,625 Times

Yeah a nice low well-trained plant can really produce some good yields off a t5 light.

J

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (25-08-20), Blue61 (26-08-20), GEORGE (25-08-20), Keepitsimple (25-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks

The way to pull the highest yield is a perpetual grow, problem is you always have plants in veg and flower, so If you take 6 cuttings and have 4 plants in flower, you have ten plants and my understanding is you may get a fine or caution and you can pull 14 oz's every 60 days.

guessing auto take 80 days and you use 70%-100% more electric and its harder to keep the plants cool running lights 18-20 hours a day (never grown them)

your taking about a sea of green and the number of plants is always high and if your taking the clones too, its easy to get the numbers up to 50 over time and you don't want to be caught with 50 plants, you could go down as a dealer.

I have always stuck to growing large plants to keep my plant count low, I away try and keep my plant count under 10, some of my plants have been massive and pulled more than 10 off one plant but its taken loads of training.
    clones could take 2-3 weeks to root and you have 5-6 weeks to train the plant to good size before flowering the plant off

you can use a small veg room with a low powered light to save space and electric, also I often use the veg room to dry the weed
    If you have good size pots in the veg room 5ltrs, you can pot up and flower them off the same day.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keepitsimple For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Shouldn't be a problem in soil... just have a read up on the strain first
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (26-08-20), GEORGE (26-08-20), Mac (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (09-05-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Just a quick reminder of the 10 plant rule on the forum, talk of more is a sure fire way to get a holiday from the site

Different strains = Different PH requirements/feed requirements/light requirements/growth speed etc etc Hell even different phenos of the same strain have different requirements.
    It gets old pretty quick having to mix up several different feeds per day and raise individual pots daily to keep them all level.

My advice keep it to 1 or 2 strains, if you are going photo then veg em at 18/6 for 3 weeks then flip to 12/12, autos just run at 18/6 from seed.

An ounce+ per plant is more than doable.

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (26-08-20), Farmer Geddon (26-08-20), GEORGE (26-08-20), Keepitsimple (26-08-20), M_C (26-08-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (11-01-21)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast