Thread: Drying in non-ideal set up

Thanks

Default Drying in non-ideal set up

Hi people,

I have a couple of plants drying. I have a 2m x 0.8x tent laying on its side, with a 4 inch fan and filter running 24/7. This tent is kept outside (under shelter). I can't bring it inside cos I live with my mum and she's not having it...

It's been 6 days since I hung the plants to dry. I did not trim anything off them yet. But they still feel so damp to the touch. I am kinda surprised that even the smallest buds aren't even close to being dry yet. I'm wondering if the main problem is the uncontrollable humidity and cold temperatures.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I should be doing differently?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wezwatson For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-09-20), Bud Lightyear (03-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20)

3. Default

Hi wezwatson, so what are your temps and humidity like in there?

It's important to keep the two within a certain ideal 'range', or drying times can either be shortened significantly or can go much longer than anticipated.

If it's cold and humid then that would absolutely be the reason as to why they are not drying.

The main concern would be bud rot/mould..

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-09-20), Bud Lightyear (03-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wezwatson View Post
    Hi people,

I have a couple of plants drying. I have a 2m x 0.8x tent laying on its side, with a 4 inch fan and filter running 24/7. This tent is kept outside (under shelter). I can't bring it inside cos I live with my mum and she's not having it...

It's been 6 days since I hung the plants to dry. I did not trim anything off them yet. But they still feel so damp to the touch. I am kinda surprised that even the smallest buds aren't even close to being dry yet. I'm wondering if the main problem is the uncontrollable humidity and cold temperatures.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I should be doing differently?
    Your never gonna dry them outdoors this time of year the humidity is too high and your risking but rot...You might be able to do it if you seal the tent and bung a dehumidifier in there...Also I would get them trimmed sharpish..

Regards BL

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (03-09-20), Blue61 (04-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), ggotch (04-09-20), IceCalibur (03-09-20), Mac (04-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hi wezwatson, so what are your temps and humidity like in there?

It's important to keep the two within a certain ideal 'range', or drying times can either be shortened significantly or can go much longer than anticipated.

If it's cold and humid then that would absolutely be the reason as to why they are not drying.

The main concern would be bud rot/mould..
    I have not got a clue to be honest. Going off the temperature according to the weather its around 17-20 today. No clue about humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Your never gonna dry them outdoors this time of year the humidity is too high and your risking but rot...You might be able to do it if you seal the tent and bung a dehumidifier in there...Also I would get them trimmed sharpish..

Regards BL
    Seal the tent? Right now I'm allowing fresh air to flow through because I though that was best, but I will close that up and give them a trim asap.

I've already spent way over what I should've on this whole project, I just can't afford to buy a humidifier as well.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wezwatson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have not got a clue to be honest. Going off the temperature according to the weather its around 17-20 today. No clue about humidity.

Seal the tent? Right now I'm allowing fresh air to flow through because I though that was best, but I will close that up and give them a trim asap.

I've already spent way over what I should've on this whole project, I just can't afford to buy a humidifier as well.
    Only seal if using a dehumidifier otherwise you need to ventilate..

Regards BL

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), IceCalibur (03-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20)

Thanks

Only seal if using a dehumidifier otherwise you need to ventilate..

Regards BL
    Thanks for clarifying *goes back outside and reopens the vent*

Do you reckon it'd be a good idea to cut all the buds off and leave them to dry off the stalk?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wezwatson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying *goes back outside and reopens the vent*

Do you reckon it'd be a good idea to cut all the buds off and leave them to dry off the stalk?
    Leave them on the stalks that gives you something to hang up...

Regards BL

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (03-09-20), Blue61 (04-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), M_C (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20), wezwatson (03-09-20)

Thanks

You might be able to do it if you seal the tent and bung a dehumidifier in there...Also I would get them trimmed sharpish..

Regards BL
    I was thinking about what you said and just ordered a dehumidifier for delivery tomorrow. Have I F'd up leaving it so late (6 days) to put one in?

I have also had to cut some rotted buds ??

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wezwatson For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-09-20), Bud Lightyear (04-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20)

Thanks

I was thinking about what you said and just ordered a dehumidifier for delivery tomorrow. Have I F'd up leaving it so late (6 days) to put one in?

I have also had to cut some rotted buds ??
    You should be able to salvage something mate, it may not smell as it should but could improve with a decent cure..

Regards BL

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-09-20), GEORGE (04-09-20), Mac (04-09-20), ToughCall (08-10-20)