Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Plants don't like my new system

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

I'll set the flexi tank up in the loft and just fill it up the day before I do a res change. Never had any issues when the tank used to be in the groom.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), GEORGE (06-09-20), IceCalibur (06-09-20), Mac (07-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,727 Times

Water levelECpHSolution

Static Static Static Plant not feeding/drinking, change EC, check meters. Usually, lowering the EC a little should get the plant feeding again

Thats is a quote from Woody's guide on EC water levels and pH.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...d-how-to-react

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), Dirty_badger (06-09-20), GEORGE (06-09-20), Mac (07-09-20), M_C (06-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

How turbulent is the water badger ?
    Is it turbulent enough to break the roots. Washing them around the system and then they are rotting and producing the slime in the res ?????

from a green and pleasant land

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), Dirty_badger (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), IceCalibur (07-09-20), Mac (07-09-20), M_C (07-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    How turbulent is the water badger ?
    Is it turbulent enough to break the roots. Washing them around the system and then they are rotting and producing the slime in the res ?????

No dude it's not that fast flowing.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), British green (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), Mac (07-09-20)

Thanks

Default Plants don't like my new system

All the plastic used building your system ppe plastics??? Kite marked water safe ?
    Are there any hydrocarbons in anything you have used ?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Amnesia auto (07-09-20), Blue61 (07-09-20), Dirty_badger (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), Mac (07-09-20), M_C (07-09-20), Skunkpunch (07-09-20)

Thanks

All the plastic used building your system ppe plastics??? Kite marked water safe ?
    Are there any hydrocarbons in anything you have used ?

I couldn't answer that truthfully dude.

I've used PVC pipes to join the tubs together and the tubs are intended for storage but aren't sure what plastic they're made from.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), British green (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20)

Thanks

Default Plants don't like my new system

Hydrocarbons will directly attack ppe plastic.
    I wouldn't think that tho would produce the scum slime type stuff you have. But could possibly kill off your roots in turn making the slime.
    I'd try some peroxide in the system for a day and then fill system with plain water letting run around for a hour or two and then fill again. Base nutes only no root enzymes at 0.2 above background . Leaving them for a few days.
    Unfortunately if this doesn't help it's back to the drawing board.
    Pour some of the peroxide solution through the net pots making sure the pebbles get a good soaking

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), Dirty_badger (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), IceCalibur (07-09-20), Skunkpunch (07-09-20)

Thanks

Hydrocarbons will directly attack ppe plastic.
    I wouldn't think that tho would produce the scum slime type stuff you have. But could possibly kill off your roots in turn making the slime.
    I'd try some peroxide in the system for a day and then fill system with plain water letting run around for a hour or two and then fill again. Base nutes only no root enzymes at 0.2 above background . Leaving them for a few days.
    Unfortunately if this doesn't help it's back to the drawing board.
    Pour some of the peroxide solution through the net pots making sure the pebbles get a good soaking

What we classing as a hydrocarbon?

I'm hoping it's the water tank in the loft that has caused the issues. There's no chiller up there and it's on a ball valve so just refills after my res change.

Will I be able to have the plants in the system with the peroxide?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), British green (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), IceCalibur (07-09-20), Jingo (07-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

ime, with dwc, any discolouration in the leaves is most likely a pH issue. I'd rule out nute problems as all brand names sold by the hydro store work unless top heavy with supplements and additives. Your starting ec is less than my new seedlings get so safe to say it isn't ec.

Some nutes stain the roots which makes them look bad even though they're healthy. Pinch some roots between finger and thumb. They should have a crisp feel to them. Like they could belong as part of a salad. If they are easy to pull away and feel a bit lifeless, that's probably pythium aka root rot. They will also smell bad. Res temps effect growth. There's an element of Icarus to it. Fly too low and growth slows to a crawl. Fly too high and the roots rot.

I did separate bubblers using smallish kitchen waste bins. Each plant had a 15L res. Not nearly enough. Any colour leaves you want except green. The bigger the res, the less the pH issues. With a large enough res, it's possible to go a full grow without emptying the res. Once a week, 10% of the res is dumped and replaced with fresh nutes.

At the time I was doing dwc, an oft debated topic was Dissolved Oxygen. Some held the view that once max DO was reached, extra air was pointless. An opposing viewpoint, which I agree with, is that the air bubbles serve a purpose other than adding oxygen. When bubbles travel through the roots, they replace 'stale' nutes with 'fresh' nutes. All the faster growing systems have an element of nft to them. There is a constant flow of nutes through the roots. More flow, faster growth. You could check that by using an aquarium pump on one plant. No need for an airstone. A T piece weighted with a stainless steel nut is enough. All it has to do is put bubbles of air through the roots.

Good luck getting it sorted. dwc is brilliant when it's dialled in and a head scratcher until then.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Dirty_badger (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), IceCalibur (07-09-20), Jingo (07-09-20), Skunkpunch (07-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    ime, with dwc, any discolouration in the leaves is most likely a pH issue. I'd rule out nute problems as all brand names sold by the hydro store work unless top heavy with supplements and additives. Your starting ec is less than my new seedlings get so safe to say it isn't ec.

Some nutes stain the roots which makes them look bad even though they're healthy. Pinch some roots between finger and thumb. They should have a crisp feel to them. Like they could belong as part of a salad. If they are easy to pull away and feel a bit lifeless, that's probably pythium aka root rot. They will also smell bad. Res temps effect growth. There's an element of Icarus to it. Fly too low and growth slows to a crawl. Fly too high and the roots rot.

I did separate bubblers using smallish kitchen waste bins. Each plant had a 15L res. Not nearly enough. Any colour leaves you want except green. The bigger the res, the less the pH issues. With a large enough res, it's possible to go a full grow without emptying the res. Once a week, 10% of the res is dumped and replaced with fresh nutes.

At the time I was doing dwc, an oft debated topic was Dissolved Oxygen. Some held the view that once max DO was reached, extra air was pointless. An opposing viewpoint, which I agree with, is that the air bubbles serve a purpose other than adding oxygen. When bubbles travel through the roots, they replace 'stale' nutes with 'fresh' nutes. All the faster growing systems have an element of nft to them. There is a constant flow of nutes through the roots. More flow, faster growth. You could check that by using an aquarium pump on one plant. No need for an airstone. A T piece weighted with a stainless steel nut is enough. All it has to do is put bubbles of air through the roots.

Good luck getting it sorted. dwc is brilliant when it's dialled in and a head scratcher until then.
    I've grown DWC for years dude. Only just started having problems since running with the new system.

Alls that's changed is the system and the storage tank in the loft.

Hopefully after a deep clean and not letting the water sit in the tank in the loft we will be back on track

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-09-20), British green (07-09-20), GEORGE (07-09-20), IceCalibur (07-09-20)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast