Thread: Taking clones

Thanks

Talking Taking clones

What do you guys prefer to do when taking clones, 1 or 2 off each plant or just take what you expect to need from the 1 mother that looks like it has the best genetics ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YerDah For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-09-20), Jingo (09-09-20), Krofam (09-09-20)

Thanks

Thought i would add that i plan on flipping all the plants a week or so after taking the clones not keeping a mother, so just wanted to know the best way going about it was. Cheers

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YerDah For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-09-20), Jingo (09-09-20), Krofam (09-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,620 Times

Back when I was growing photos on a continuous basis, I think when I was doing deep water culture actually. I had an indica strain that if I took it 10 weeks in flower it would be nice and amber and then I had a sativa strain that I could take 10 weeks and it would just be getting cloudy.

I would take clones off of my plants each time they went into flower. I would route them in a easy cloner, which would take about a week. Then their roots would drop in deep water culture in about a week and I would allow them to veg 3 weeks. That allowed me to do a harvest every 5 weeks. I would get about 6 oz off of sativa strain and about 4 oz often indica and I was happy.

These days I can easily get six plus ounces off auto flowers in the same amount of time. I usually, when I'm doing coco anyway get about 12 oz per plant growing autos.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-09-20), Krofam (09-09-20), YerDah (09-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

i prefer to take 2-4 from each plant myself. i keep them in small pots and under flouro tube for the whole of the flower period and by time buds dry, they are ready for 2-3 weeks veg under proper light before flip.

this is my method...

i use "root !t" gel and root riot cubes. in the bag they stay moist for months. if they do go dry, soak 5mins in 6.0 water.
    they have everything seeds or clones need.

when i take clones i put them into cup of water for 5mins and then prep them by gently scrapping the length of stem thats going into the cubes. really gently with scalpel. then back into water. for 2mins
    the cubes come with a pilot hole and the gell bottle has a nozzle which is the length of the stem i scrapped so now all i do is, stick nozzle into cube and squeeze as i pull it out filling the hole with plenty of gel with a bit of overflow. i then stick a clone in and trim the tips of the leaves. i usually leave on 2 nodes.
    i like my clones to be small and as flexible as possible. compared to clones ive seen taken, mine are really small. this is perfect for my as i need them to take their time growing through out the flowering phase. 1 inch in cube and 2-3 above.

anyway, after they are all done, i stickem in a dome. mine came with a tray with holes that fit the cubes perfectly. has holes in the bottom so if they do go dry when clones are in there, i fill tray with water half inch high and sit they tray on it for 30secs and lift to drain. empty and stickem back under.

for the first week i keep the vent on dome closed. removing top and airing it out for 1mins everyday. mist dome, drain any water in tray and put lid back on.
    every 2 days i mist the dome and clones and check if cubes are not dry.

i can open the vent half way after 1 week but making sure the dome doesnt dry too quick. stop misting clones at this point too and check if roots are taking by opening dome and leaving open for about 5-10 mins. i heck if they wilt and how long it takes them to.
    if they hold well. you can put them back in with vent on dome open. mist only the dome and just make sure cubes dont dry out. clones in about 13 days total. 100% for me so far over the years with this method.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-09-20), YerDah (09-09-20)