Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water! Help we're does it all go?

Thanks

Default Water! Help we're does it all go?

Right so basically I was looking into doing a grow in coco no more than 6 plants in 12.5 l air pots but I'm now hearing people throwing around silly amounts of water like 250l a week that'll I need to waste somewhere? I expected a bit of run off etc but didn't expect to be using no where near that amount of water and how on earth do I get rid of it from a 1st floor? People suggested those water tank things, all well and good but how many of those can I fill up and at what point is enough enough? I don't want to live with 100s of water butt's in my house full of waste water and nutrients just taking up space, wtf do people do? Buying a pump etc is no issue money isn't the problem, just how on earth am I loosing and even using that amount of water a week for 6 plants?? Baffled. Might just go soil and do everything on cheap and hope for the best cos the numbers I'm getting seem astronomical

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), roooot (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

Thanks

People on here seriously can't be telling me huge run to waste coco operations are using 100s of thousands of liters a week or even in a day then finding somewhere to pump it out to and 'waste'it, our Oceans would be full of nutes in a year lol so how do people deal with it or is some idiot just having a laugh with me on here?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

5. Default

Well I can tell you my own experience with coco..

I was growing four plants and towards the end of the grow was watering them with 5 Litres each, totalling 20L a day, which works out at 140L a week...what did I do with the water?..well I would use some in my garden and the rest went down the sink.

Those running 'coco operations' which is adding up to thousands of litres a week are not part of this forum, we are all personal home growers here

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), Lowrollerbean (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), UkMedicalGrower (13-09-20), Valentina (02-12-20)

7. Default

Just to add, obviously 140 Litres wasn't going down the sink!..the plants drink most of this ya know lol

So I was shooting for 20% runoff, that's 28 Litres 'excess/runoff' a week that needed disposing of, some of that went into my garden and the rest down my drain...not too bad really.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (13-09-20), Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), Lowrollerbean (13-09-20), M_C (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Well I can tell you my own experience with coco..

I was growing four plants and towards the end of the grow was watering them with 5 Litres each, totalling 20L a day, which works out at 140L a week...what did I do with the water?..well I would use some in my garden and the rest went down the sink.

Those running 'coco operations' which is adding up to thousands of litres a week are not part of this forum, we are all personal home growers here
    Oh I know we're all personal it just got me thinking about some of the industrial size legal operations for dispenseries etc.. They must use an unholy amount of water and its shame none if it can be re used and just gets dumped as it will have all my girls food in there still and been run thru them? Sorry coco is all new to me, I just don't want to be wasting lots of water down the sink or bath every week to end up in the seas or environment and it's just criminal that much water haha...

I'm looking into some drip feeding systems or similar, but I'm sitll a bit confused with how I collect all the run off but I assume constant drip feeding won't be as much of a problem.. Presumably some ssytem that could pump it back to the tank? Seems I massively over looked the amount of water I'd be using haha

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), Lowrollerbean (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,200 Times

If you where so to speak using 250 liters per week then your only aiming for 10-20% run off so technically your only wasting around 20-30 liters per week

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Just to add, obviously 140 Litres wasn't going down the sink!..the plants drink most of this ya know lol

So I was shooting for 20% runoff, that's 28 Litres 'excess/runoff' a week that needed disposing of, some of that went into my garden and the rest down my drain...not too bad really.
    Now that sounds much more manageable and friendly for everyone all round, even the back having to lug that water around haha how did you collect your run off may I ask? I've seen a few different ways yet and am still undecided if just want to stick a bigger bucket underneath to collect it or Invest the money in an auto / semi auto feeding system save me some time and back and forth with the hand watering lol

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), IceCalibur (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21), Valentina (02-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,563 Times

Quote Originally Posted by UkMedicalGrower View Post
    Right so basically I was looking into doing a grow in coco no more than 6 plants in 12.5 l air pots but I'm now hearing people throwing around silly amounts of water like 250l a week that'll I need to waste somewhere? I expected a bit of run off etc but didn't expect to be using no where near that amount of water and how on earth do I get rid of it from a 1st floor? People suggested those water tank things, all well and good but how many of those can I fill up and at what point is enough enough? I don't want to live with 100s of water butt's in my house full of waste water and nutrients just taking up space, wtf do people do? Buying a pump etc is no issue money isn't the problem, just how on earth am I loosing and even using that amount of water a week for 6 plants?? Baffled. Might just go soil and do everything on cheap and hope for the best cos the numbers I'm getting seem astronomical
    Most growers I know IRL grow in coco incorrectly (never get rid of run off). Tbh my previous grow (check diary) was hand-fed and I didnt dispose of run off (I just let it sit in the trays, naughty me lol.. the experienced growers was having a fit at me lol), and surprisingly I got amazing results (nearly 66 oz).

Im on my second run now, with a fully automated setup (automated drainage and automated feeding) the girls are getting plenty of feed and run off. Once you buy an EC meter you end up using far less nutes than without because it makes you realise if you use the reccomended doses for feed it is WAYYY to high to what they need. They "was" looking a lot healthier than my previous run, until my drippers messed up and was incorrectly feeding a couple of the girls and flooding the rest.

I think the problem is, without disposing of run off, if you dont keep a good eye on the girls, they can easily be sat in extremely high EC feed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roooot For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), IceCalibur (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrollerbean View Post
    If you where so to speak using 250 liters per week then your only aiming for 10-20% run off so technically your only wasting around 20-30 liters per week
    Thanks that previously wasn't explained to me and someone made it sound as if all that water would be passing through the coco and coming straight out the over end, I just didn't want to end up with a few tanks full or waste in my place haha looking into some good little systems tho as hand watering seems rather tedious

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UkMedicalGrower For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21)

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UkMedicalGrower View Post
    Now that sounds much more manageable and friendly for everyone all round, even the back having to lug that water around haha how did you collect your run off may I ask? I've seen a few different ways yet and am still undecided if just want to stick a bigger bucket underneath to collect it or Invest the money in an auto / semi auto feeding system save me some time and back and forth with the hand watering lol
    Yep exactly..it's not so bad when you consider it's only 20% excess that you need to deal with, I used large trays and then collected with a wet vac, was simple enough.

I do know some use an automated system which basically has a 'brain' and a pump that collects all the runoff into one bucket ready for you to dispose of...lets see if I can find an example.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (06-03-21), GEORGE (13-09-20), roooot (13-09-20), scoot (06-03-21)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast