Thread: B&Q verve prep.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,101 Times

Default B&Q verve prep.

evening all. Im sorting my medium out tomorrow, I've got a big bag of verve and 10l of perlite. Going to riddle the perlite to get rid of any lumpy bits then add the perlite so it's 5:1.
    Do I need to soak the soil overnight to prep it for the seed or is it OK to just put the seed in .( i want to germinate in its 'final pot'.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karlito1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-09-20), Jingo (18-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

I wouldn't be soaking the soil. What you want to do after you mix it is grab a handful and squeeze it in your fist, when you open your fist if it doesn't break up into any more than two or three large chunks it's good to go. If it crumbles into pieces spray water in it with the spray bottle and mix it up with your hands until you can just get a piece that crumples into two or three pieces. Then once you plant your seedling just spray the surface with water every once in awhile and keep a humidity dome over the spot where you planted the seedling.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I wouldn't be soaking the soil. What you want to do after you mix it is grab a handful and squeeze it in your fist, when you open your fist if it doesn't break up into any more than two or three large chunks it's good to go. If it crumbles into pieces spray water in it with the spray bottle and mix it up with your hands until you can just get a piece that crumples into two or three pieces. Then once you plant your seedling just spray the surface with water every once in awhile and keep a humidity dome over the spot where you planted the seedling.

J

Thats great , thanks. Im sure I read that some composted soil had to be pre soaked for 24hrs before use but that was for super soil.
    I had a good look and found this thread
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...-seeds-in-soil

which is a great walk through on what I am doing. Thanks again .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karlito1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (18-09-20), GEORGE (18-09-20), Jingo (18-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karlito1 View Post
    Thats great , thanks. Im sure I read that some composted soil had to be pre soaked for 24hrs before use but that was for super soil.
    Biobizz recommend moistening, although not soaking, their All-Mix potting mix 36 hours before using it. This is to get the microbes working with the Pre-Mix fertiliser within. They don't tell you to pre-moisten their unfertilised Light-Mix, on the other hand, which I suspect is much closer to Verve in terms of any pre-fertilisation. If that's anything to go by.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stug For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-09-20), Karlito1 (18-09-20)

Thanks

I didnt moisten the verve in the end, only when I put the seeds in. I gave them a good spray , made a hole about 5mm to 10mm deep and put them in and covered.
    The results ive had with this soil is fantastic. I did riddle it first as there were some clumps then put the soil in the fabric pots and gave them a couple of bangs on the floor to help settle the soil.
    This soil is superb, I havent added any nutrients yet as reccomended on this forum and after 2 and a half weeks am very happy with what is happening regarding plant growth. For a new grower , I strongly recommend verve, its cheap and whereas faster results might be achieved by growing in coco, watering is less frequent and less ph dependent.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karlito1 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (08-10-20), GEORGE (08-10-20), stug (09-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,170 Times

I filtered all the shit out of the verve in mine and mixed in loads of perlite in mine and then put a layer of clayballs on the bottom and then added soil
    My Wonderful world of mystery —> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rld-of-mystery

If I or anyone else has answered your question in the growing questions and answers section please mark it as "Answered". It helps keep the forum tidy!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SyRaX For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-10-20), stug (09-10-20)