Thread: Caring for mother plants?

Thanks

Default Caring for mother plants?

Sometimes i've seen people saying they use a "xx year old mother plant". Are people actually keeping mother plants for several years or does is just mean that they had a mother plant and it was used for clones, then a clone of that clone was used and it's continued like that?

If it means people keep them for years, how easy would you say it is to keep it alive and well for so long? Can you still keep them relatively short and in a smaller pot (10L), or will that kill them eventually?

I have been keeping two now for around 2 months, they both look great under my cheap china LED. I took some clones from them yesterday and now i'm debating if i should flower these nice plants and let the clones be mothers. My space is limited too, but these mothers seems to have halted in growth now probably due to the 10L pots (i have bigger fiber ones on its way, just in case).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CasanovaFrankenstein For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times

You could trim the roots every month and repot with new soil. as well as take off branches.to.keep her in proper size.

Just use a living soil and use tap water... Give minimal lights of you dont want her to grow as fast

Ongoing diary >>> OGKZ / Gelat.OG / GZ / LSD (Coco, 750w lm301b)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

CasanovaFrankenstein (22-09-20), GEORGE (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shreder View Post
    You could trim the roots every month and repot with new soil. as well as take off branches.to.keep her in proper size.

Just use a living soil and use tap water... Give minimal lights of you dont want her to grow as fast

Ongoing diary >>> OGKZ / Gelat.OG / GZ / LSD (Coco, 750w lm301b)
    Yeah, good advice. I think they're growing quite slowly already, this cheap LED i have isn't exactly a 500W HPS or something, it's probably equal to 40W HPS or similar.. they don't stretch though, which is good..

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CasanovaFrankenstein For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20), Shreder (22-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,577 Times

I've never kept them for years, maybe 9 or 10 months at the most. but I used to keep mine in a 2-ft by 2-ft by 4-ft tent. I was constantly cutting back above and trimming above and every once in awhile I'd have to do exactly what shredder said and go ahead and whack off about half the roots, I would always do it when I wacked off the most vegetation up above.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

CasanovaFrankenstein (22-09-20), GEORGE (22-09-20)