Thread: Variac Build + heating

Thanks

Default Variac Build + heating

Hello everyone, I hope you are well.
    I have made a few posts on here before but cant find em now. Not important though.

I am planning on ripping out an old tall metal filing cabinet to lesson fire risk and set up my grow in there. Approx grow space would be same as average bedroom cabinet

I should have started my build months ago but home diy problems etc delayed things :-(

As far as I can tell I got most things:
    900w led
    Systemair RVK 4"+rhino filter
    ducting
    variac transformer
    atc-800
    reccomended box
    3 core wire+crimps & spades (think I might need to source 8mm connectors)+soldering equipment (if needed)

As the helpful members pointed out to me the Maplin products isnt available but that seems to be ok. Meant to read up on electrics but thats been delayed as well, I will thought before build. (Members in here been big time help though otherwise I would still be deciding on what light and fan to get).

Anyway, ordered 5amp relay and base of fleabay (image A) not 100% im getting quality from fleabay and so was reccomened this 10am relay from uk.rs-online (image B).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	388328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	388327

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Is getting this 10amp relay too much? does it create any electrical problems or cost?....i couldnt find any 5amp relays on uk.rs website --- The variac is 1.5amp, the rvk is 0.171amp.

Almost forgot this bit (tired) ,considering this is the bit I need the most helf with ffs ...as you might have noticed I havent had time to put the groundwork in as far as studying electrics and the actual growing process which is why im still unclear on the following...

--- Obviously with my space being equivalent size of a single bedroom wardrobe I just have the one set of lights, one fan and one variac.........having one variac, ''' Will I need to be at home to manually adjust the fan speed controller or is it automatic?
    I know the atc has a probe and so was wondering if this auto set fan speed for me. I have little funds left and so if I need to buy another variac this is the time ---

--- The cabinet will be either in livingroom or downstairs hallway. both can be slightly cold in winter. I will be using passive air intake (think thats the term). Bearing this in mind do I need to buy any kind of heater? was thinking that if I did I would get tube type of heater ---

Any help is much appreciated. Once im done finishing off bathroom plumbing I ont wanna be too long on build as I could really do with medcinal help for pain + very little money left so wanna buy whatever else i need before money dries up in next few days.

Thanls again,
    Teddy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Teddy_amok For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-09-20), gardro (22-09-20), GEORGE (22-09-20), IceCalibur (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Search for bud lightyears guide for exactly this. Sure someone may drop a link

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-09-20), GEORGE (22-09-20), IceCalibur (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20), M_C (22-09-20)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (22-09-20), gardro (22-09-20), GEORGE (22-09-20), Jingo (22-09-20), M_C (22-09-20)

Thanks

Cheers guys

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teddy_amok For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

This works better than many electronic fan speed controllers and is inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fan-Speed...IAAOSwq7JT85A8

The best and most expensive option is a stepped transformer. Some grow shops stock them.

What makes a good case for a Maplins variac is a pc power supply case. Rewire the mains out socket to be variac out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-20)