Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP, my plant is dying!

Thanks

Default HELP, my plant is dying!

Howdy,

My first post to this forum and I am desperate to receive some advice from fellow growers.
    I am a noob, although I grew two plants in the past and with success. (I use them for medicinal purposes)
    I've got two plants on the go: One Pink Kush (very high CBD and no THC) and a Northern Light )Very high THC and no CBD).
    Both plants were germinated at the same time and are now about 3 weeks old. The Pink Kush is doing great but the Northern Light is about to die!
    The NL started to develop a yellow core about a week ago. It is still growing but looks weak and now starts to develop some rust spots as well (Near the tip of the leaf).
    Both are planted in the same potting soil (Perlite, coco coir, and topnotch compost, 1/3 of each) and I have been watering them every second day.
    I started adding nutrition to the water three days ago in the hope that this would be beneficial for the NL.
    My nutrition is 0.5 ml GROW, 0.5 ml MICRO, 0.5 ml BLOOM and 0.75 ml CALMAG per litre of water with a pH of 6.00
    I water every second day.
    I use a Mars T1000 light and the temperature sits between 24 to 27 degrees C during the day and it drops to about 15 to 18 at night.
    My lighting schedule is 18-6.
    I have attached a couple of pictures as this will be much better than a lengthy article.
    Your feedback will be very welcome.
    Many thanks in advance and have a nice day.

LukeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141038 (Minimized).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	389355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141028 (Minimized).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	389356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141019 (Minimized).jpg 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	389357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141038 (Minimized).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	389355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141028 (Minimized).jpg 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	389356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201013_141019 (Minimized).jpg 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	389357

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-10-20), Jingo (13-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,579 Times

Hey brother, are these autos or photos?

If they are autos I would run the lights 24/0 keep those temperatures more consistent.

Since you have kind of an odd potting soil I would suggest that you pH your feed to 6.3. That's what most guys use in a mix called pro mix. Which is the closest thing to what you're doing.

What kind of coco did you use? Was it a name brand like Canna or General Hydroponics? If it was name brand you're good to go, if it wasn't you may very well have some salts in your coco.

Do you know anything about your background water? Do you live in an area of hard water? If you are in a hard water area you probably don't need any Calimagic. You will need to know your background water TDS/EC if you want to sort this out. It will have an effect on how much you can reliably feed your plant.

At your current age you should be able to feed a mix of at least 1,2,1 mil per gallon and if your plants were healthy and growing well you would be closer to 3, 4, 1 mil per gallon of grow, micro and bloom.

The pink kush has leaves that I expect to see in a plant that is way off on the pH of the feed or has some kind of nutrient lockout going on. Do you always get runoff when you water? And does the plant have the ability to reabsorb the runoff? They should never reabsorb the runoff. By runoff I mean you should give about 10 to 15% of your water running out the bottom.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Benjiman (10-03-21), GEORGE (13-10-20), Herbitual (13-10-20), LRAT (13-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,460 Times

Talking

Welcome to the talk dude, enjoy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Jingo (13-10-20), LRAT (13-10-20)

Thanks

Thanks Jingo for your great support.
    OK, to answer your questions:
    Both of them are auto feminized (Purchased from Seedsman).
    My lighting schedule is 18 hours on and 6 hours off. I am happy to switch to 24 on.
    We are on rainwater and I tested it yesterday. Here are the results:
    pH 5.95, TDS 11.3, nitrites, nitrates, amonia are all 0 ppm. (I've got an Apera PH60 and EC60 to test it, pH was verified by using chemical indicators as well)
    The coco coir is unbranded. We ordered a couple of pallets of the stuff directly from Sri Lanka. So, it's an unknown fact what's in it. I expect it to be nutrient free but I haven't been able to test it.
    TDS of my fertilizer mix measures 508 ppm (Maybe not enough, but I wanted to keep it safe to prevent saltburn).
    We have been using this for years in our veggie garden and all seems well.
    I will order a bag of Canacoir. Or better: What soil mixture do you recommend?
    The plants are not able to re-absorb run-off water as they are elevated from the drain pan.
    It's my first time I'm growing autos and to be honest I thought it would have been easy to grow these.
    Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to receive a bit more info on what soil I should use.
    Cheers,

Luke

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-10-20), Jingo (13-10-20)

Thanks

Well your TDS isn't to high you could go 700-800 right now and be just fine I think.

I never mix more than 30% coco when I'm doing soil and I don't put any perlite in if it's got coco. If you have any of that Coco around that you bought and it's unused it would be interesting to soak a little bit in some water and then put your TDS meter on that water. If it comes back high then it's more than likely salt, literally they will leave the coco core sitting out on the beaches.

If you find out The coco is holding salts than a real good flush three or four times what the pot can hold would be in order.

From this point forward I would be measuring the pH of the water going in and trying to keep it around 6.3 after you mix your nutes in. I would also feed every time you water unless you see it getting too green too fast.

J

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-10-20), LRAT (13-10-20), M_C (13-10-20)

Thanks

Great advice about the coco coir. I will do some testing today and will publish the results.
    If that is the case I will flush the plants as per your recomendations.
    I will also raise the pH to 6.3 from now on.
    I thought that plants would naturally be able to cope with rain water as is.
    Cheers,

Luke

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-10-20), Jingo (13-10-20)

Thanks

Remember at this point 2/3 of your growing medium is inert, that's why setting the pH to 6.3 may help. There are some professional mixes out there that use that much in their media and most growers tend to pH to 6.3 when using them.

J

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-10-20)

Thanks

OK, I've done some chemistry and here are the results:

First I checked my coco coir as per recommendation of Jingo.
    I took two handfuls of fresh coco coir and put it in one liter of our water. Let it soak for 10 minutes and keep on stirring.
    Then I filtered the solution and took readings: pH 6.68, TDS 200
    So, I'm happy with that. The coco coir we got seems to be washed and hasn't got excess salts in it.

Now was the time to make a nutrient solution.
    I started off with 5 litres of our water and then added Grow, Micro, Bloom and CalMag. After adding each nutrient I then checked the pH and TDS and recorded them consequently.
    Initially I added minimum amounts but the end TDS was only 528, Therefore I added a bit more of each nutrient. I ended with a pH of 6.43 and a TDS of 816

Step 1: Our tap water (From rainwater tank): pH 5.22, TDS 11.9
    Step 2: Added 2 ml of Grow: pH 5.28, TDS 120
    Step 3: Added 2 ml of Micro: pH 5.43, TDS 255
    Step 4: Added 2 ml of Bloom: pH 5.25, TDS 306
    Step 5: Added 5 ml of CalMag: pH 5.89, TDS 528
    In my opinion a TDS of 528 was too low, so, I continued adding fertilizer:
    Step 6: Added 1 ml of Grow: pH 5.92, TDS 576
    Step 7: Added 1 ml of Micro: pH 6,00, TDS 642
    Step 8: Added 1 ml of Bloom: pH 5,87 TDS 665
    Step 9: Added 3 ml of CalMag: pH 5.93, TDS 796
    Now the pH was still too low:
    Step 10: Added 2 drops of pH+ (Potassium carbonate): pH 6.13, TDS 803
    Still not good enough:
    Step 11: Added 2 drops of pH+: pH 6.43, TDS 816
    I was happy with that.

It seems that the Bloom fertilizer is acidic and therefore reduces the pH, all the rest of the nutrients are alkaline and therefore increasing the pH.

I then flushed the plants continuously until 650ml of this solution ran through per plant.
    I also took readings of the run-off water at the end: pH 6.05, TDS 1850

Before I flushed I took pictures of the plants. I will compare the plants to the pictures in the next couple of days.

Temperature in my grow space is 23.5C and a RH of 45%. I found the RH a bit too low, so, I switched on the humidifier and will keep it around 70%.

Please feel free to comment on this work method. Is there anything I should do differently?
    Cheers,

Luke

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-10-20), Jingo (14-10-20)

Thanks

Wow that was quite a read You're correct about the alkalinity of the Cali magic and some of the other nutrients. Typically when you mix any nutrients you want to add your most alkaline substance first which would be Callie magic, then you would go grow micro and bloom. You can get minerals falling out of solution if you go the opposite direction or if you try adding a bunch of Cali magic after the other nutrients.

I don't feed more than 1 mil per gallon of Callie magic, it doesn't matter what my medium is that's a max.

My basic feed is:

Seedling 1,2,1 g,m,b
    2 weeks 3,2,1 g,m,b
    3-4wks. 4,3,1 g,m,b
    Full veg 5,4,1 gmb
    Flower early 5,3,3
    Mid 3,2,5
    Late 2,1,5

1 mil Calimagic goes in first for seedling if coco and week 3 for soil.

I watch the plant close to determine just how much grow I want to feed especially late in flower, but I prefer to let most of the chlorophyll fade out of the plant by the time I'm ready to chop.

J

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Benjiman (10-03-21), Cannabug (14-10-20), GEORGE (14-10-20), LRAT (14-10-20)

Thanks

Thank you for that update.
    As I am new to all this I will follow these guidelines to the letter.
    I'm looking forward to tomorrow so that I can see if my plants have improved or not.
    Cheers,

Luke

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-10-20), Jingo (14-10-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast