Thread: Letting oil sit.

Thanks

Default Letting oil sit.

Hi folks.

So I’ve been wondering for ages about letting filtered isopropyl and cannabis sit for days.

This morning I woke up to 6l of the stuff sitting on my window sill.
    Today I chucked the lot in the still however,Normally that would be the 2nd run witch I wouldn’t bother with for a few days.
    After hours a few days sitting it turns from its golden colour to a darker amber.
    I know there some chemical reaction going however what I don’t know.
    I know letting it sit for the night helps remove chlorophyll however what happens after it has sat for days is that a bad thing?

Just nags at me it might.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stillmix For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), Elias (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Jingo (17-10-20), Lowrollerbean (17-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,621 Times

It's the UV light that helps convert the chlorophyll after you've already done an extraction. You can take a green extract and put it under a HID for a few minutes and it'll turn it gold. I'm sure it probably does break down the THC and CBD too, well I've forgotten the breakdown products of those. I think it's CBN and I forget the THC one.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), Elias (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Lowrollerbean (17-10-20), Stillmix (17-10-20)

Thanks

The uv light I understood as I make it up at night and pick it up the morning when the sunlight has done it’s thing.
    Just sometimes I’ve let it sit for 3-5 days,after a couple of days it gets darker.

from what your saying and logic suggests that it not a good idea to let it sit for days as it sounds like that way I would be killing of some of the goodness.
    Sounds like letting sit In light for just long enough to just convert the chlorophyll is the better option.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Stillmix; 17-10-20 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Typos.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stillmix For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), Elias (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Jingo (17-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,838 Times

Winterise your extraction and it will lock out the all the unwanted crap. Just freeze the weed, solvent, jars funnel everything for 24 hrs. That’ll give a nice cleaner oil.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elias For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Jingo (17-10-20), Stillmix (17-10-20)

Thanks

I’ve always wanted to try that.
    One thing I can’t figure that stops me is if the material is frozen what happens to the water,how does that evaporate.

Oh well enough posting today I’ll pick this up tomorrow.
    Thanks.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stillmix For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Jingo (17-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stillmix View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try that.
    One thing I can’t figure that stops me is if the material is frozen what happens to the water,how does that evaporate.

Oh well enough posting today I’ll pick this up tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    You winterize only the alcohol tincture and it helps the fats and lipids and other solids to settle out. The best way to filter that is with a buckner funnel under vacuum with everything frozen to minus 20°. My freezer only goes down to zero and it still works okay I just have to freeze for two or three days. But I've decided I'm just not interested in winterizing, if I were smoking it instead of making topicals and edibles and capsules and that kind of stuff then yeah I probably would winterize.

I found an old jar of Colombian gold tincture in the freezer from about four or five years ago and all of the solids had settled out so I just poured off the top of the jar cooked it down mixed in 10% food grade polyethylene glycol and made my own vape carts. Worked real well.

J

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Stillmix (24-10-20)

Thanks

Another thing I do these days more often just because it's quicker, is I press out some rosin mixing in just a touch of polyethylene glycol and then I use that to make my butter and capsules and everything else. It's a very fast way to do it. If you have a good capacity rosin press.

J

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), Elias (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,838 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Another thing I do these days more often just because it's quicker, is I press out some rosin mixing in just a touch of polyethylene glycol and then I use that to make my butter and capsules and everything else. It's a very fast way to do it. If you have a good capacity rosin press.

J

This is what I want to do Jingo. I just don’t have the money. I want to move away from ISO even though it’s 99.98, I still don’t really like having to use it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elias For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Stillmix (24-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elias View Post
    This is what I want to do Jingo. I just don’t have the money. I want to move away from ISO even though it’s 99.98, I still don’t really like having to use it.
    I have a 12 ton shop press so all I had to do was to buy a pair of heated plates in a cage for about 200 bucks. I can press out about 7 g at a time and good weed will give me one and a half grams of rosin. That's enough to do a pound of butter.

J

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), Elias (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20)

Thanks

That’s a nice amount of rosin from 7g.
    If you had no access to a shop press what would you think of the one at the top;

Please, no links

The one below it I can’t see having enough pressure to be worth buying however I’ve never seen anyone like it
    Last edited by M_C; 24-10-20 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Link removal

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stillmix For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-10-20), Jingo (24-10-20)