Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any kind folks a mechanic?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,200 Times

Default Any kind folks a mechanic?

I trust you guys on here more than my local garage, having issues with my e90 320i if anyone can assist please?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,784 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrollerbean View Post
    I trust you guys on here more than my local garage, having issues with my e90 320i if anyone can assist please?
    BMW! Gotta be an electrical issue lol. What's up with it my man?

My 1st Grow - FastBuds – AK Auto, Blackberry Auto

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoSGrower For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Lowrollerbean (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks

She's a pain in the arse that's what's up with her ha, long story,
    Driving fine, turn her off about 5 mins later she starts then cuts out after 30 seconds then won't start again,
    Plugged her in got the code p0016 cam shaft sensor
    Fair enough change the sensor, plug back in codes p0016 and p0017 now
    Phoned local garage he said he's seen it 500 times and it 100% is the timing chain has stretched or jumped
    I'm no mechanic but usually I can fix my own car....
    My problem is- if the timing did jump or stretched I would have a slack timing chain (it's not)
    Surely I would have heard a clonk or some sort of other issue but I haven't she's been fine
    Left me wondering is he trying to pull a nice job for himself by doing the timing chain or....
    Could the fault lie in- faulty wiring between the sensor, faulty vanos (since they can also throw up p0016) since its VVT engine, the fuses that control the sensors and another thing to add is that inside it say oil level "inactive" another usual suspect with faulty sensors/vanos....or am I just being deluded here?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), LoSGrower (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,784 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrollerbean View Post
    She's a pain in the arse that's what's up with her ha, long story,
    Driving fine, turn her off about 5 mins later she starts then cuts out after 30 seconds then won't start again,
    Plugged her in got the code p0016 cam shaft sensor
    Fair enough change the sensor, plug back in codes p0016 and p0017 now
    Phoned local garage he said he's seen it 500 times and it 100% is the timing chain has stretched or jumped
    I'm no mechanic but usually I can fix my own car....
    My problem is- if the timing did jump or stretched I would have a slack timing chain (it's not)
    Surely I would have heard a clonk or some sort of other issue but I haven't she's been fine
    Left me wondering is he trying to pull a nice job for himself by doing the timing chain or....
    Could the fault lie in- faulty wiring between the sensor, faulty vanos (since they can also throw up p0016) since its VVT engine, the fuses that control the sensors and another thing to add is that inside it say oil level "inactive" another usual suspect with faulty sensors/vanos....or am I just being deluded here?
    If it's only doing it when warm, after driving, I would suggest looking into the fuel system, possible that your getting air gaps when warm, letting fuel evaporate and as result, trouble starting. But what I would say is, get it checked by at least 3 garages and see what they say. I had a 97 318is and the exhaust sensors (3 of them) caused me some serious hassle. I'll be honest, I've never owned one since, not a fan of em! Good luck mate

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoSGrower For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoSGrower View Post
    If it's only doing it when warm, after driving, I would suggest looking into the fuel system, possible that your getting air gaps when warm, letting fuel evaporate and as result, trouble starting. But what I would say is, get it checked by at least 3 garages and see what they say. I had a 97 318is and the exhaust sensors (3 of them) caused me some serious hassle. I'll be honest, I've never owned one since, not a fan of em! Good luck mate

Thanks mate, your going back with that 97, I did briefly own the 740il from that time.....like driving a tank down the street

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), LoSGrower (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

This might be what is wrong. This part doesn't have A code. For some dumb reason, Manufactures left the code off for this one. It will give you different readings, like Coil, and other elect parts, when it is actually this part here. It runs all the Elect system. This is on A ford ranger, but you might have one on yours as well. Just look around real good on your motor and see if you can find any thing that looks like this. I fold with mine for A year, before I found this part by accident on youtube one day. Change it and haven't had A problem since then. Good luck. The part with the red wires coming out of them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Lowrollerbean (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    This might be what is wrong. This part doesn't have A code. For some dumb reason, Manufactures left the code off for this one. It will give you different readings, like Coil, and other elect parts, when it is actually this part here. It runs all the Elect system. This is on A ford ranger, but you might have one on yours as well. Just look around real good on your motor and see if you can find any thing that looks like this. I fold with mine for A year, before I found this part by accident on youtube one day. Change it and haven't had A problem since then. Good luck. The part with the red wires coming out of them.
    Thanks hotshot, not a clue what that is though, I just look and see "engine" let unscrew this bit and hit that bit and see if she starts again haha

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,628 Times

Replacing the sensor really doesn't work it's telling you have a problem related to your timing, so I would trust that mechanic I'm sure it probably is a stretched out timing chain especially if you've got high miles. A timing belt can last about a hundred and twenty hundred and thirty thousand miles a chain should be able to give you over 200.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Replacing the sensor really doesn't work it's telling you have a problem related to your timing, so I would trust that mechanic I'm sure it probably is a stretched out timing chain especially if you've got high miles. A timing belt can last about a hundred and twenty hundred and thirty thousand miles a chain should be able to give you over 200.

J

Only just done 100k mate, I thought if it stretched or jumped I certainly would of known about it, but she just died instead, this is what made me think sensor or vanos, she's only throwing out the p0016 code now which you are correct would indicate a problem between timing of the cam and crank, usually I'd just go "it's broke" scrap it and buy another or try and fix it, but something about this one is nagging me that it's a simple fix

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Jingo (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,628 Times

Yeah 100K is too little for timing chain to stretch out. Unless of course, you bought it used and somebody rolled back the odometer on you. If it was used how did your brake pedal look was the rubber about half worn off or was it looking pretty new?

J

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (17-10-20), GEORGE (17-10-20), Lowrollerbean (17-10-20), Skunkpunch (18-10-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast