Thread: Most silent extractor fans

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,381 Times
    Provided Answers: 8

Default Answered: Most silent extractor fans

My friend baught a sp td silent fan them long thin things for 350quid.
    it is silent proper..

So i went alook...

I have found
    sp td silent fan 29db
    Airtech uk looks the same 29db

Priced similar too. Which is the copy lol.

Then for the price id be paying on 1 of these for in and 1 for out id need a 500in and 1500 out iits 300 quid and 600 quid lol

For the same price as that i cud buy 1 of them new ec fans...

I cba spending that bloody much to go silent lol not right now ffs wtf.

Whats ur silent fan. I need 1300cmf min. On extraction 1500 would be better but when i had a box fan i could restrict its air with my hands so i was against thrm. My friends box fan however doesnt seem to restrict flow... So now am thinking the make of box fan might be the problem..

My god im sick of my 8 inch rvk s vibrating the house down.

I have them in expanding foam boxes suspended on bunjies...

I need a new fan as my coolhoods only have a 6inch on the 8inch holes and i need a bit more preassure so i need an 8 but dont eant the added noise

3 rvks in the loft is pretty hummy even on controllers

2. "ime, flexible ducting is the enemy. It restricts airflow, meaning we need a more powerful fan and it's very noisy. Like 100s of children blowing over the tops of empty bottles.

I currently have an 8" rvk and filter in the loft above my cupboard grow. It's running at 40% via a (reassuringly expensive) stepped transformer. Has about the same airflow as a 6" rvk at full speed but much quieter. fwir, less than 40% can have the fan overheat because not enough air to cool the motor. 40% is the lowest setting on my transformer.

The only ducting, if you can call it that, is an 8" steel 90 degree elbow. The fan and filter are duct taped together and rest on a wooden 'tray', Air is pushed through the filter and then finds its own way out of the loft. The tray sits on a piece of Kingspan to lower any vibrations. There is some vibration but I have to put my ear to the wall to hear it. I could get it lower if I was arsed. It is quieter than the fan on my oven. I always run fans at the same speed 24/7 as a constant noise will fade into the background. A fan changing speed can have a neighbour notice.

I've used the same principle with bedroom grows. The fan is hung on a rope ratchet and taped up so that it doesn't touch the outlet vent. Same with the filter, hung on 2 rope ratchets and a quarter inch gap between fan and filter. One grow was an open cab and the other a (mostly) whole room grow so no other fan needed, the room was the tent so to speak.

If a tent or closed cab has to be used, I'd use the room as ducting. Fan and filter taped to the outlet vent and a 2nd fan, without a filter, used to cool the tent. The room will smell of weed but so does the inside of a tent. As long as the extractor fan gives negative pressure, the odour won't escape.

If you must have ducting, go solid. You could diy 12" square ducting with 1x1 timber and hardboard, that would be silent and hardly restrict airflow."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-11-20), Farmer Geddon (01-11-20), GEORGE (01-11-20)

Thanks

Mate

It’s easy get a bigger fan and run slower with a controller and problem solved don’t matter how big you go as long as you mount correctly and can adjust the speed.

I run 3 in the loft and they’re all whisper quite

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-11-20), Farmer Geddon (01-11-20), GEORGE (01-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

ime, flexible ducting is the enemy. It restricts airflow, meaning we need a more powerful fan and it's very noisy. Like 100s of children blowing over the tops of empty bottles.

I currently have an 8" rvk and filter in the loft above my cupboard grow. It's running at 40% via a (reassuringly expensive) stepped transformer. Has about the same airflow as a 6" rvk at full speed but much quieter. fwir, less than 40% can have the fan overheat because not enough air to cool the motor. 40% is the lowest setting on my transformer.

The only ducting, if you can call it that, is an 8" steel 90 degree elbow. The fan and filter are duct taped together and rest on a wooden 'tray', Air is pushed through the filter and then finds its own way out of the loft. The tray sits on a piece of Kingspan to lower any vibrations. There is some vibration but I have to put my ear to the wall to hear it. I could get it lower if I was arsed. It is quieter than the fan on my oven. I always run fans at the same speed 24/7 as a constant noise will fade into the background. A fan changing speed can have a neighbour notice.

I've used the same principle with bedroom grows. The fan is hung on a rope ratchet and taped up so that it doesn't touch the outlet vent. Same with the filter, hung on 2 rope ratchets and a quarter inch gap between fan and filter. One grow was an open cab and the other a (mostly) whole room grow so no other fan needed, the room was the tent so to speak.

If a tent or closed cab has to be used, I'd use the room as ducting. Fan and filter taped to the outlet vent and a 2nd fan, without a filter, used to cool the tent. The room will smell of weed but so does the inside of a tent. As long as the extractor fan gives negative pressure, the odour won't escape.

If you must have ducting, go solid. You could diy 12" square ducting with 1x1 timber and hardboard, that would be silent and hardly restrict airflow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1103.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	390337  

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-11-20), DrGreen (01-11-20), GEORGE (01-11-20), M_C (01-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,381 Times

Hmm i love like freaking love that wooden box ducting idea omg lol not now but nezt time im doin that defo fuck me u are amazing.

So steo trans is worth it ye my fsn controller fuckin hums at 299quid lol

Get bigger fan arrgg ok.

Swappin my 6 for a 10 and my 6 in for 8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

Only do this if you are competent with mains wiring and are using 2 fairly equal sized fans that both need to be slowed down:

2 fans wired together in series will slow each other down. Depending on wattage, almost anything electrical wired in series to a fan will slow it down but will probably waste leccy and/or risk an open circuit. eg a 100w incandescent bulb will have a 6"/8" fan running at about half speed but if the bulb blows, the fan stops running.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-11-20)