Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hydroponics DWC setup advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_badger View Post
    Don't mention it dude, that's what we are all here for pop over and have a look at my diary if you get a chance, it's been going for a while so there's a lot of things on there.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Thank you your a diamond. I will put time aside to look at your diary. I really should learn how to set a diary up and start it. I am quite excited for this grow! I nearly have all my equipment now. I have bought a sweet Envirovent SILMV250/100mm Ultra Quiet Inline Fan, it has two speeds which is perfect. Just got to hook it all up now. Wont be ready until next week, the exhaust venting requires some inventive setting up as its in the loft. I am planning on venting it out under the tiles somehow? I have a 4 inch round adapter to a flat ducting end that should slide into place nicely through a cut I have made in the lining. There is a plan B if this does not work as intended. I will show you when I confirm it all works. I have plans and I will show you in due course. Im setting her up in the loft. Im doing this slowly as I forgot how long this takes to connect up and think about what your doing. When the loft was insulated back in the summer I fitted a permanent triple socket at each end just incase and connected it back to the ring main, glad I did! Its a large loft but sadly I've only had time to board the small 1/3rd end as its all been raised above the insulation properly. Got so much to do but I will get there. Hopefully I will have pictures soon
    Last edited by Bud-e; 13-11-20 at 12:01 AM.
    There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.

~Richard Bach

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud-e For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (14-11-20), Farmer Geddon (13-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I'm a minimalist with a strong aversion to ducting, so I'd set up a DS60 tent differently than most.

I'd have the fan and filter lying on top of the tent and taped together so that the fan pushes air through the filter. Tape up the built in sleeve of the tent to the fan. Gives full height inside the tent. When blowing through the filter, some fans can leak. Especially the ones I've knocked around a bit. Might need to be generous with the duct tape.

In theory, that's a no-no because of the lack of fresh air intake but in practice, it's a small space in a large loft. There's lots of air to circulate. Every time you go there, fresh air comes with you. Could even leave the trap open for a few hours a day. I know of a grower who has an unheated greenhouse. The only fresh air is when she opens the door. They grow well enough to keep her in smoke.

If only growing 1 plant, use both airpumps on it. Gives you redundancy. btw, it's not failing pumps that causes the most problems, it's airline coming adrift.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Bud-e (13-11-20), Dionysos (14-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    I'm a minimalist with a strong aversion to ducting, so I'd set up a DS60 tent differently than most.

I'd have the fan and filter lying on top of the tent and taped together so that the fan pushes air through the filter. Tape up the built in sleeve of the tent to the fan. Gives full height inside the tent. When blowing through the filter, some fans can leak. Especially the ones I've knocked around a bit. Might need to be generous with the duct tape.

In theory, that's a no-no because of the lack of fresh air intake but in practice, it's a small space in a large loft. There's lots of air to circulate. Every time you go there, fresh air comes with you. Could even leave the trap open for a few hours a day. I know of a grower who has an unheated greenhouse. The only fresh air is when she opens the door. They grow well enough to keep her in smoke.

If only growing 1 plant, use both airpumps on it. Gives you redundancy. btw, it's not failing pumps that causes the most problems, it's airline coming adrift.
    Well I wont try your method out due to my scenario and location. I will sort it with a mixture of methods. The roof of the house was recently retiled and the company installed some plastic with elongated holes in it and it allows the loft to breathe so thats kind of handy. I will probably run both air pumps, so thanks for the suggestion

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud-e For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Dionysos (14-11-20), Farmer Geddon (14-11-20), GEORGE (14-11-20)

Thanks

How are you planning to change the res?

Think it through before starting.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Bud-e (14-11-20), GEORGE (14-11-20)

Thanks

How are you planning to change the res?

Think it through before starting.
    Your quite right! I do get ahead of myself some times. Im so pleased to have finally made the plunge to try hydroponics! If you mean changing it Ph wise I have bought some Ph up and down and a bottle of Cal Mag. The Ph up and down are in some little glass dropper bottles I put it into to help me get it accurate. If you mean drain it completely, I can either decanter the water into the second bucket I bought just for this purpose or, drain it with gravity straight into the bath below with an old hose I have. My back has had better days and draining it should be super easy as then I dont have to carry it! Its bad enough carrying into the loft. Both buckets are black and have the same size hole in the lid etc so I can get the second set of water ready to rock after the change over and get her in the new nutrient solution. Can I ask how often do YOU all change your water? I was thinking around every 10 days or so?
    Last edited by Bud-e; 15-11-20 at 12:15 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud-e For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Farmer Geddon (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20)

Thanks

When I did dwc in separate bubblers, I changed the res every 2 weeks. Which was probably not often enough. I'd top up with tap water every other day. For the res change, I'd mix up the nutes in a spare tub, carry that down the ladder into the cellar, lift up a lid/plant and put it on the new res. Then I'd carry the old res up the ladder. With 8 plants, it was an exhausting day.

I have done a full grow without a res change. It needs RO water, auto top up, the lucas formula and a BIG reservoir. The only maintenance is reading the ec once a week and adding back enough Micro and Bloom to get back to full strength. I'd no sooner finished that grow when the housing told me that workies would be in to fit a new kitchen and they needed cellar access. Good fun getting rid of 700 litres in a hurry. During that shutdown, hempy was posting about his buckets so next grow, I gave it a try. It suited me better than dwc so I've stayed with passive hydro since. If short on space, the efficiency of dwc is a factor. If there is enough growing space to stay self sufficient whichever system is used, then might as well do whatever is most convenient.

I haven't done this but I've read of dwc growers that do partial res changes. afaik, it's common practice with aquarium guys. The grower I first read of did 10% a week. Which may or may not be enough for you. If you want to try it, I'd play safe at first and start with 50%. If no problems, then try 40% etc. The problem with trial and error is that at some point in time, there has to be an error.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Bud-e (16-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20)

Thanks

When I did dwc in separate bubblers, I changed the res every 2 weeks. Which was probably not often enough. I'd top up with tap water every other day. For the res change, I'd mix up the nutes in a spare tub, carry that down the ladder into the cellar, lift up a lid/plant and put it on the new res. Then I'd carry the old res up the ladder. With 8 plants, it was an exhausting day.

I have done a full grow without a res change. It needs RO water, auto top up, the lucas formula and a BIG reservoir. The only maintenance is reading the ec once a week and adding back enough Micro and Bloom to get back to full strength. I'd no sooner finished that grow when the housing told me that workies would be in to fit a new kitchen and they needed cellar access. Good fun getting rid of 700 litres in a hurry. During that shutdown, hempy was posting about his buckets so next grow, I gave it a try. It suited me better than dwc so I've stayed with passive hydro since. If short on space, the efficiency of dwc is a factor. If there is enough growing space to stay self sufficient whichever system is used, then might as well do whatever is most convenient.

I haven't done this but I've read of dwc growers that do partial res changes. afaik, it's common practice with aquarium guys. The grower I first read of did 10% a week. Which may or may not be enough for you. If you want to try it, I'd play safe at first and start with 50%. If no problems, then try 40% etc. The problem with trial and error is that at some point in time, there has to be an error.
    Yes very true. Moving all that water and those plants must have been a nightmare! Fingers crossed I wont have that issue as I am opening the second hatch up to the other side of the loft today so that if someone needs to check the solar panel box up there they will use the other hatch and have no reason to go onto the other side at all. As for your water changes I will keep it all in mind! I had read on another website that people change the whole bucket of water every 7-10 days so I may still try this one out. I was hoping for more replies but we will see how it goes. I should be set up by the end of the week. Got children to manage and nosey neighbours so I've got to keep it stealthy. Should be sweet once ready. Have to admit though it is weird not seeing any soil in the pot!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bud-e For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-11-20)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3