Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PH Rising after feed a lot (newbie)

Thanks

Default PH Rising after feed a lot (newbie)

Hi,
    In some what new to growing with one soil grow under my belt. I’ve just invested in a hydro system of 8x 25l Wilma system 90l tank 2x600w hps and 10” exhaust.
    My Ph keeps rising massively after feeding from 5.5 to mid 7’s. I emptied the tank yesterday cleaned and refilled and added nutes one thing I have read that I didn’t do was leave the water to sit before adding nutes it’s tap water btw. My ppm is at 550 and I’m in second week of veg. I thought it could of been Root rot so I’ve sacrificed the smallest plant to check as it was severely stunted compared to the other 7 and the roots look fine (white).
    The plants do look genuinely well with visible growth day to day and other than PH fluctuations I’m very happy with how things are going.
    As you can imagine I’m using PH down daily which I know isn’t ideal so if I can sort this out I will have no worries for now .
    Like I said I’m new to growing and especially hydro so if it’s something silly I’m doing wrong go easy on me please
    Happy Growing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lloydandroid01 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (10-11-20), Dionysos (11-11-20), Farmer Geddon (10-11-20), GEORGE (10-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk dude, enjoy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (11-11-20), Farmer Geddon (10-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Are you using grow shop pH down or something from the kitchen? It makes a difference.

Also, try starting with pH 5.2,

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (11-11-20), GEORGE (10-11-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    Are you using grow shop pH down or something from the kitchen? It makes a difference.

Also, try starting with pH 5.2,
    Grow shop PH 82% phosphoric acid I believe but don’t quote me on that. The ph sits fine in the reservoir until feed then run off measure 6.0. I’m really pleased with my current results on 6 of 8 so far. My only issue is the ph say in the morning when I check the res and obviously the volume of ph down I’m using weekly.
    So if I drop to 5.2 should I feed them with that as well and see what happens?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lloydandroid01 For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (11-11-20), Farmer Geddon (11-11-20), GEORGE (10-11-20)

Thanks

Hold off on lowering the pH more for now, I overlooked the 550 ppm, which seems low whichever of the 2 conversion factors apply. What's the ec?

Hydro nutes have a pH buffer. Weaker nutes = less pH buffer = more pH swings.

As your plants are doing well, you've been managing to keep the pH in range. As a test, up the ec as much as you feel comfortable with and see if the pH swings less. Obviously, first sign of any complaints from the plants, go back to what to you're doing at the moment.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Dionysos (11-11-20), GEORGE (11-11-20)

Thanks

Nice one, my ec is 1.2 I believe which is what is quoted for week 2 of veg on the chart I’m working off. Just checked 14 hours from last feed and the ph is at 6.9 which is an improvement but not great. I’ll add another 10ml of both A & B and see what happens or do you think that will rock the boat too much.
    The progress over the past 14 hours from last feeding is seriously impressive and if it weren’t for the ph fluctuations in the res I feel everything is going really well.
    Going to start some low stress training today as well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloydandroid01 For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (11-11-20), GEORGE (11-11-20)

Thanks

I can't help wrt feeding chards. I'm one of the heretics who uses full strength nutes from the start. Not because 'more yield' but because it's easier and gives me less problems.

With active hydro systems, growing becomes almost effortless once it has been dialled in. Getting there often needs some trial and error. The priority for this grow should be to get info that benefits your 2nd grow. Any yield is a pleasant bonus. The priority for the 2nd grow is to get info that benefits the 3rd grow. Rinse and repeat until it runs like clockwork.

Best to only change one thing at a time. I would try lowering the pH to 5.2 and not adjust pH until it gets to the highest you've had previously. (mid 7s?) 10 days of the plants staying green would prove that pH 5.2 to mid 7s works.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (11-11-20), GEORGE (11-11-20), Stillmix (12-11-20)

Thanks

What a great way of putting it, didn’t look at it like that . Will give it a go I’ve just dropped my ph in res to 5.3 and added another 20ml of A &B to the res too.
    Like I said I really can’t complain 6 out of 8 are thriving atm one is looking good just a little stunted compared to the rest and the last I’m probably gonna pull out.
    Going to give a feed now and see what happens.
    With regards to you using full strength nutes from the start how much would you be using week to week and how big is your res?
    Thanks for the help btw

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lloydandroid01 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (11-11-20), Farmer Geddon (11-11-20), GEORGE (11-11-20)

Thanks

A&B...is that Canna? fwir, you have a 90L res, 20ml = 0.22ml per litre.

It's a long time since I did dwc. After 2 grows I went from Ionic to the lucas formula. Which is a one size fits all nute regime. The same mix from start to finish. I started with 8 separate bubblers, which, as I now know, were too small to be pH stable. I'd top up with water every few days and do a res change once a week. I had to carry each new res down a ladder to the cellar and carry the old one back up so it wasn't long before I changed.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-11-20), GEORGE (11-11-20), Stillmix (12-11-20)

Thanks

I’m using Monkey nutrients grow A & B, calmag and a regulator. After raising my ppm to 630 from 550 my ph has gone to 6.3 after feeding which is a massive improvement in consideration just hoping the plants take well to it. But all in all an improvement.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lloydandroid01 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-11-20), Farmer Geddon (12-11-20), GEORGE (12-11-20), Jingo (12-11-20), Stillmix (12-11-20)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast