Thread: Water Curing

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,467 Times

Default Water Curing

AyeO,

I did an experiment with a portion of my plants and did a water cure. I felt the risk was worth it based on my harvest volume, because if it goes to sh*t, I have more than enough for my personal consumption.

I used 5 - 32oz wide mouth jars and filled each jar half way with freshly trimmed bud. Filled the jars with RO water and sealed the jars. Each day for 7 days I drained and changed the water with fresh RO. I also did a PPM reading of each jar's water from the previous day. Day 2 read 520 PPM. today, day 7 read 36PPM.

I have the buds now out of the jars and drying on top of a make shift screen bed. The buds look good, you can still see the trichomes like glitter. So now I just need to be patient and let these buds dry, and from my understanding, will be ready to smoke once dry.

The process with water curing is to remove the solids but keep the trichomes in tact. The buds are expected to look a bit beat up, but still provide the great high, smooth smoke with less stink when smoking.

I thought this was a nice fast way to go for curing, I'll be sure to take a critical approach when evaluating the final product, without being too biased. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201113_071754_compress79.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	390918

Cheers!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Farmer Geddon (13-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20), Jingo (13-11-20), M_C (15-11-20), Slazenger (13-11-20)

Thanks

Ugh! Just noticed the typo, should read Water.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Farmer Geddon (13-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20), Jingo (13-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    AyeO,

I did an experiment with a portion of my plants and did a water cure. I felt the risk was worth it based on my harvest volume, because if it goes to sh*t, I have more than enough for my personal consumption.

I used 5 - 32oz wide mouth jars and filled each jar half way with freshly trimmed bud. Filled the jars with RO water and sealed the jars. Each day for 7 days I drained and changed the water with fresh RO. I also did a PPM reading of each jar's water from the previous day. Day 2 read 520 PPM. today, day 7 read 36PPM.

I have the buds now out of the jars and drying on top of a make shift screen bed. The buds look good, you can still see the trichomes like glitter. So now I just need to be patient and let these buds dry, and from my understanding, will be ready to smoke once dry.

The process with water curing is to remove the solids but keep the trichomes in tact. The buds are expected to look a bit beat up, but still provide the great high, smooth smoke with less stink when smoking.

I thought this was a nice fast way to go for curing, I'll be sure to take a critical approach when evaluating the final product, without being too biased. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201113_071754_compress79.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	390918

Cheers!
    Did you dry your weed before the cure?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Ugh! Just noticed the typo, should read Water.
    I went ahead and changed that title for you

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Farmer Geddon (13-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20), ToughCall (15-11-20)

Thanks

Thank you!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Farmer Geddon (13-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20), Jingo (13-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

When I tried water curing it was tap water in a bucket with a dinner plate on top to keep the buds submerged. The first water change was gross. The kitchen reeked of rotting cabbage so bad. Less reek every day until virtually no odour by the end of the week.

Thanks for the ec numbers, interesting.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), GEORGE (13-11-20), Jingo (13-11-20), ToughCall (15-11-20)

Thanks

I'm currently on day two of drying the buds post water cure.
    The weight of the buds initially were pretty hefty, lots of water in them, but certainly could see the trichomes remained in tact. I placed them on a screen bed with a fan indirectly moving the air around them for about 14 hours. From there I divided them up in two paper grocery bags. One layer, the folded the top of the bag all the way down for 24 hours. My wife was pissed because even though the smell is no where near as strong as regular buds drying, our closet reeked, & she lectured me...
    Anyway, this morning I dumped both bags in a cardboard box to examine for issues etc., and pulled out 6 large buds that clearly were more damp than the rest, and bagged the rest up in the paper bag again. This time only one bag because the seemed pretty stable, not damp or brittle.
    The 6 buds stayed in the box with a fan blowing indirectly on them. I'll check those in a few hours. They certainly have potential for mold if they don't dry properly.

So far, it looks promising, they shrunk quite a bit, at least by 1/3rd. Their color is also a dim darker green, VS the vibrant fresh green color they had while water curing. The crystals still look great. Smell is of weed, but different for sure than the same strain that's currently curing in jars. The buds in the paper bag should be good to go by end of this week. I'll update then.

Thanks,

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughCall For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20), Jingo (15-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20)