Thread: Any plumbers on here? Got heating work due over next 2 weeks

Thanks

Default Any plumbers on here? Got heating work due over next 2 weeks

Hey all, council housing renter with a grow tent in bedroom with 5 autos at 21 days. boiler broke down then repaired last week but now the gas contractor needs in once next week to do a chemical flush of central heating system with further access a week later to drain and refill system. Having a quick look at doing this job means access is required to all radiators to open the bleed valves which is leaving me in a bit of a jam.

got 2 options here, either stick auto's up in attic and break down tent / duct, etc then reassemble after engineer's away, then I have to do same again in a weeks time which is a PITA. Would the ladies be OK going up into the dark / cold attic for a few hours each week? Other option, leave tent up and try and open / close the valves myself, for the engineer, saying the wife's nighshift and in bed when he visits?

Any plumbers on here could advise me what happens with a chemical flush of the gas central heating system?

cheers all

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tlh2496 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Elias (15-11-20), gardro (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20), Jingo (15-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,838 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tlh2496 View Post
    Hey all, council housing renter with a grow tent in bedroom with 5 autos at 21 days. boiler broke down then repaired last week but now the gas contractor needs in once next week to do a chemical flush of central heating system with further access a week later to drain and refill system. Having a quick look at doing this job means access is required to all radiators to open the bleed valves which is leaving me in a bit of a jam.

got 2 options here, either stick auto's up in attic and break down tent / duct, etc then reassemble after engineer's away, then I have to do same again in a weeks time which is a PITA. Would the ladies be OK going up into the dark / cold attic for a few hours each week? Other option, leave tent up and try and open / close the valves myself, for the engineer, saying the wife's nighshift and in bed when he visits?

Any plumbers on here could advise me what happens with a chemical flush of the gas central heating system?

cheers all
    What boiler do you have? If it’s open vent with tanks in the loft then he will need to get there too to clean the tank

A chemical flush is just a case of adding cleaners in the heating system letting it flow around.
    Last edited by Elias; 15-11-20 at 12:56 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elias For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), gardro (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20), tlh2496 (15-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Put them in a car / shed / garage

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Elias (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20), tlh2496 (15-11-20)

Thanks

Elias, it's a combi boiler (Unica HE). just been up in loft, no tank up there, can't see any drain valve either on any of the ground floor radiators? does boiler drain to outside via drain valve? does he need to open bleed valves on all radiators?

gardo, cheers man, never thought of that, might stick them in boxes then walk them down to car. neighbours are nosy as (
    Last edited by tlh2496; 15-11-20 at 02:58 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlh2496 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Elias (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,838 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tlh2496 View Post
    Elias, it's a combi boiler (Unica HE). just been up in loft, no tank up there, can't see any drain valve either on any of the ground floor radiators? does boiler drain to outside via drain valve? does he need to open bleed valves on all radiators?

gardo, cheers man, never thought of that, might stick them in boxes then walk them down to car. neighbours are nosy as (
    On the first visit he’ll probably isolate one radiator and poor the cleaner into that rad. Upon return, he will probably cut a drain off in to one down stairs radiator. It’s normal to open all vents on the rads to assist the drain down

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elias For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), British green (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20), tlh2496 (15-11-20)

Thanks

Elias, thanks for the heads up mate, appreciated ;

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlh2496 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (15-11-20), Elias (15-11-20), GEORGE (15-11-20)