Thread: Is this light ok for a PC grow?

Thanks

Default Is this light ok for a PC grow?

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me, is the light suitable for a tiny grow space? 110w power draw.
    (See pics)

Problem is, I can’t possibly get it further than 10 inches away from my plant and my plant is only a few inches tall right now, so when it’s bigger it will be super close

I’m aware there are better lights out there but I got this one super cheap from a friend. It’s my first grow and I’m not too bothered about yield at the moment, just having fun growing!

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65E3424F-7A57-4AB4-9F71-739618815E5D.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	391381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	038BFB7F-F729-4F97-B776-7332959B3394.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	391382  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacticat For This Useful Post:

gardro (21-11-20), GEORGE (21-11-20), scoot (02-12-20), thelastrebel (01-12-20), Valentina (01-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Unfortunately not, you need a good 12 inches, probably 15 to avoid bleaching and cannabis tends to stretch despite your best intentions.

You will probably need a custom build using led strips so that the light is fairly diffuse.

You can do it with CFL but heat will need a lot of consideration

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-20), scoot (02-12-20), thelastrebel (01-12-20), Valentina (01-12-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Unfortunately not, you need a good 12 inches, probably 15 to avoid bleaching and cannabis tends to stretch despite your best intentions.

You will probably need a custom build using led strips so that the light is fairly diffuse.

You can do it with CFL but heat will need a lot of consideration
    Ah sucks! I’ll have to do some research into led strips then! I’m clueless when it comes to that

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacticat For This Useful Post:

gardro (21-11-20), GEORGE (21-11-20), scoot (02-12-20), thelastrebel (01-12-20), Valentina (01-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by cacticat View Post
    Ah sucks! I’ll have to do some research into led strips then! I’m clueless when it comes to that
    Look up grows by gaz silkadin thelastrebel on here as a good start

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-11-20), IceCalibur (21-11-20), scoot (02-12-20), thelastrebel (01-12-20), Valentina (01-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

Quote Originally Posted by cacticat View Post
    Can anyone tell me, is the light suitable for a tiny grow space? 110w power draw.
    (See pics)
    The little Meizhi should just about do fine even in a PC case as the light it gives out is "blue-purple" (blurple) so the plants tend to stay small.

Look up *A LOT* on "LST", Low stress training, and also look at the Pepsi grow here to see how people minimise size but still get bud.

IMO Keep the Meizhi cool or vent it at the top case vent so it can cool down, also look at any domestic fire fighting equipment that could be obtained and posessed by you.

Thelastrebel has/had a few canna bonsais that yielded decent, have a look at his work.

I use a blurple lamp as well, strains that have worked well for me so far:
    Amnesia Fast by Seedsman
    Gorilla Cookies by Expert Seeds
    Purple Orange CBD by Dinafem

Strains that have been TERRIBLE under my LED lamp:
    Big Nugs Fast by Seedsman - was neither big nor fast
    Zkittlez by Nirvana - stayed short, way too short, yield was half of what would have normally been with a strain that had worked before
    CBD Super Critical by Garden of Green - this was a 3 inch tall ... plant. SMH.
    Jack Herer by Seedsman - Lets not go there. One foxtailled like mad, low yield, low potency; the other just refused to grow beyond a few inches tall and got me a "Worst Plant Of The Month" wooden spoon award.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Valentina; 01-12-20 at 07:41 PM.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-12-20), GEORGE (01-12-20), IceCalibur (01-12-20), scoot (02-12-20), thelastrebel (01-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,368 Times

I'd be really surprised if a PC case could handle the heat that would put out - unless you've got seriously low ambient that could be a deal breaker I'm afraid.

I've never tried to put that much light intensity on a plant so can't comment much on that but I'd expect it would be a challenge at best! If you're determined to give it a go and you can do so safely, I think I might look at replacing the driver with something less powerful to see if you could have a go at growing something without investing much cash? I'd definitely recommend the DIY route long term though.

I'm not growing at the moment because I don't know what to do with the jars I've already got but I do try to hang around the forum a bit so if you want to bounce any ideas any time give me a shout. We seem to be a rare breed these days, us PC growers.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (02-12-20), gardro (02-12-20), GEORGE (02-12-20), IceCalibur (01-12-20), scoot (02-12-20), Valentina (02-12-20)