Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loft

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I've vented into the loft a few times. It works well. Lofts aren't sealed, would be bad news for the house if they were. Any air pumped in will find its own way out. Don't vent into a chimney unless you know for absolute certain that there is no gas appliance connected to it and never will be. Carbon monoxide is deadly.

I wouldn't worry about heat. I once vented 2 x 600w hps, 8x4 tent, from my cellar to my living room. About 1.5m of 8" ducting. The idea being to warm my toes in winter. Dismal failure. The breeze from the fan made the room feel colder if anything. A 400w halogen heater in the same room gave lots more heat.

When using a spare bedroom, I marked the position of the joists with a pencil and made sure that there were no pipes or cables where I wanted to cut the plasterboard. With a pad saw, I cut a square in the plasterboard at a 45 degree angle. \________/. That piece was kept in the loft next to the hole. When needing to make good, the piece was dropped back into the hole. Not perfectly but a lick of paint hid the crime. Who examines ceilings? They all have irregularities.

A piece of ply, with wall plate fitted, was screwed into the joists and taped up. To avoid using ducting, the filter was stood upright on a shelf with the fan taped to it. Enough polystyrene tiles etc. were used under the filter to have the fan a quarter inch shy of the wall plate. Then the fan was taped to the wall plate.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20), Marley13 (29-11-20), Stillmix (29-11-20), TheCloudyChef (29-11-20)

on a cloud half the time, other half in the fridge
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,406 Times

Thanks for the info there! Plenty.

I’ve grown in cellars before and just vented through the house so never had an issue although it was always warmer lol.

The chimney isn’t used there is no fire and I can part see the old flue pipe which I had hidden but left access for in case I wanted to get a log fire installed. The boiler is vented outside by its own flue not connected to the chimney in anyway. I wouldn’t know if the neighbours house is connected to the same chimney though.... not a clue on whether chimneys would be connected for joined houses. The problem is I wouldn’t know what bricks to knock out to find.

My concern with venting straight into the loft is moisture and heat on the roof. It is pretty cold and seems crafty up there as they would be. The brick work looks unusual too
    ---Marley's Grow Diaries---

Marley's Diary - Black Rose - Kushage - Sour AK - Jack https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ack-Black-Rose
    Marley's 3 Strain Soil Grow - BlackJack - Nebula - Critical#47 https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...rain-Soil-Grow

A Trich or Few a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marley13 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20), Stillmix (29-11-20)

Thanks

I dunno m8 your house maybe set up different I definitely had problems with my neighbour smelling it even with a carbon filter. My house is old though & very badly insulated between houses.
    My next door neighbours wife hates the smell albeit they didn’t go running to the cops as they know it has medical properties & they know how badly I need it. he knocked saying they could smell it without going into the loft.
    That was a long time ago and as said I’ve very thin insulation you might not have.

I run mine through a chimney it is shared however It’s blocked up on the walls so all that remains is the stack witch isn’t shared.
    It’s really hard to tell you without seeing what your dealing with.

As for moisture I had no problems there as heat rises so the lofts dry.

As for heat unless your growing in the loft witch then can be problematic concerning heat as the roof gets hot & if it snows your house sticks out as it will most lightly not have any snow that hasn’t melted ( unless you address that problem ) the lofts should be warm adding a single fan from a 400-600w light won’t change the loft heat much alought it’s something I did have to keep a eye on just in case when I did it.

My biggest concern would be how well the insulation between the houses are.
    Last edited by Stillmix; 29-11-20 at 04:05 AM.
    Bite The Bullet ~ rip Motörhead.
    My current grow https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...garden-revived

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stillmix For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Pictures speak a thousand words
    Chimneys are usually not shared
    The arch in the loft is more than likely where two chimneys meet and travel through the roof. If the fires have been removed more than likely your chimney will be capped rendering it useless for your needs .
    Roofs/lofts are normally always vented at the eves .
    Best bet is to run your ductwork to the eves and create more ventilation at that point where the duct meets your eves . Then seal around the duct . So no air can travel back into your loft . The easiest way to check is to light a smoke pellet in your room with extraction on full and check the smoke is only leaving the loft at your selected exit and no smoke is sitting in the loft .

from a green and pleasant land

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20), Marley13 (29-11-20), Stillmix (30-11-20)

Thanks

I do hear wind through the fireplace in the living room I’ll get some pics of the walls in the loft. I do see some air bricks on the outside of the property but they don’t look high enough to be at the roof. I’ll have another inspection while it’s light outside to see if I can see anything coming in

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marley13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Anyone upload pics straight from phones?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marley13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    Pictures speak a thousand words
    Chimneys are usually not shared
    The arch in the loft is more than likely where two chimneys meet and travel through the roof. If the fires have been removed more than likely your chimney will be capped rendering it useless for your needs .
    Roofs/lofts are normally always vented at the eves .
    Best bet is to run your ductwork to the eves and create more ventilation at that point where the duct meets your eves . Then seal around the duct . So no air can travel back into your loft . The easiest way to check is to light a smoke pellet in your room with extraction on full and check the smoke is only leaving the loft at your selected exit and no smoke is sitting in the loft .

I second that, I used to run two 600s and vent into the attic above my shop. It worked just fine during the summer but once the winter came it got too moist up there and grew mold even with attic vents at the Eve. I had to get a powered Eve vent and run my ductwork all the way up to that eve vent.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), British green (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Marley13 (29-11-20), Stillmix (30-11-20)

Thanks

Thanks jingo. Yeah it’s the winter months so I’m worried of venting straight up there as the temperature is very different on the outside so moisture and heat on the roof are going to be a problem for mould and flir.

I’ve got some pics but not sure whether to upload straight from the phone or not

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marley13 For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), British green (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

I'm saying run the duct to the eves and vent at the eves and not just straight into the attic/loft

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20), Jingo (29-11-20), Marley13 (29-11-20), Stillmix (30-11-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Marley13 View Post
    Thanks jingo. Yeah it’s the winter months so I’m worried of venting straight up there as the temperature is very different on the outside so moisture and heat on the roof are going to be a problem for mould and flir.

I’ve got some pics but not sure whether to upload straight from the phone or not
    Just make sure you got your location data turned off on your phone before you upload your images.

J

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (29-11-20), GEORGE (29-11-20)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast