Thread: Thrips

Thanks

Default Thrips

My last grow was infected with thrips which I found out too late and it resulted in a poor quality harvest. This time around I've been watching carefully and found some evidence at week 6. I've sprayed with Neem oil and it seems to have stopped the spread. I took a picture of a leaf under the microscope and found this little guy. Can anyone else confirm this is an early stage of a thrip? Thank you all and Merry Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img00019.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	391954  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flint-stone For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-12-20), Jingo (04-12-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,620 Times

Yep, that's a thrip. Usually you buy those from the hydro store in your soil because they store the soil outside at some time. Over here in the states they are starting to put mosquito bits in the soil in advance so you don't have to buy those things anymore.

they are very easy to kill or control with a product with Montgomery spinasad in it. If you talk dress your soil with mosquito bits you won't have any more problems once you kill off the ones above. Thrips are one of several pests that have a stage where they're down growing in your soil, so you have to make sure you don't get them in there in the first place and then you want to keep them out. I usually put a couple inches of clay pebbles over the top of my soil, thoroughly washed because they can be very alkaline. The pebbles block root aphids is what I'm really trying to keep out but they block thrips also.

You can still top dress your soil with mosquito bits or even make a drench thats got some in it.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Benjiman (19-01-21), GEORGE (04-12-20)

Thanks

Thank you Jingo for the tips. I purchased the Miracle Grow formula from a Lowes and yes it was stored outdoors. I'll be watching closer in the future for sure and top dressing. Again many thanks.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flint-stone For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-12-20), GEORGE (04-12-20)