Thread: Advice Required Please, sick plants

Thanks

Default Advice Required Please, sick plants

Afternoon all, I'm after some help with my plants as I've been having a few issues. My leaves are tacoing, drooping and a light green. They also look shrivelled, I think the shrivelled leaves are due to the humidity issues I've had and resolved. But the light green new leaves showing tacoing and drooping are my concern.

I'll start from the beginning:
    Strain: Skies 8 (Skywalker cross) X2 clones
    Planted 17/12/20 (about 3 weeks old)
    Media: The Peat Moss Experience Light Mix
    Nutes: Plant Magic Old Timers Organic Grow + Ionic CalMag Pro
    Tent: 60*60*150
    Light: 250w HPS Dual Spec (about 15" above)
    Rhino 4" extractor + 6" clip on fan
    Day temps AVG: 24°, Night AVG: 15°, Humidity AVG: 50%
    Feed schedule: Water-Feed-Water-Feed (only when the pots feel light)

They had water for first few days then I slowly brought the feed in and up, they were looking lovely for a few days but I've constantly been battling humidity issues.

I hadn't anticipated LOW humidity so I wasn't prepared for it, the humidity was too low at around 20-40%. I know this is awful for clones and young plants, I don't need a lecture on it now, I've already kicked myself for it.

Anyway, my Humipro Cool Fog Humidifier eventually turned up and after setting it up to maintain 60% the plants seemed to be doing better. But I've noticed the humidifier is pretty crap, it seems to have a mind of it's own and doesn't properly store settings as the other night I caught it at 95% and I had condensation streaming down the walls! Blasted thing will be going back I think!

So that's off now but as the plants are bigger the humidity is now sitting around 40-50% so I can live with that.

After doing my research, about 5 days ago I decided to do something and after concluding they had nute lock I decided to flush them through. The last feed before flush was 2.3ml Grow + 1.3ml CalMag per Litre. But stupidly I completely forgot to check for run off to prevent salt build up. (I've been to preoccupied with trying to deal with the humidity issues). So the flush was good I think, put about 20L through each pot until the run off was clear. Then they had a day of drying out a bit, then I watered again and last night 24/1/21 was the first re-feed at half strength (1ml Grow + 0.5ml CalMag per litre).

So, I know I'm being impatient as I only re-fed them last night and need to watch and see any improvements but is there anything obvious I'm missing? I think they've now got a Nitrogen deficiency and that'll improve with me upping the feed over the next few days.

I wondered if they could be showing signs of wind burn? But I think I'm clutching at straws really. My clip on fan is located at the top of the tent, oscillating from front to back. It doesn't blow directly on the canopy, it blows on the top of the shade and down the sides of the tent. But the affected leaves are all over the plants so I assume not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want them to look healthier and I'll flip them to flower. Please ask for further info if needed, I've probably forgotten loads! ????

Thank you ????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210124_114256.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	394359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210124_114148.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	394360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210123-205048.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	394361  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LG27 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21)

Thanks

are these is soil or coco ? they look over watered to me or in shock but if its coco pretty much Impossible to over water at the size. have u checked the ph of your run off after your flush. also them temps picking up mate that could your battle to be fair if that's the lights on temp the lighs out will be ridiculously low

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dale92 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21), Jingo (24-01-21), LG27 (24-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dale92 View Post
    are these is soil or coco ? they look over watered to me or in shock but if its coco pretty much Impossible to over water at the size. have u checked the ph of your run off after your flush. also them temps need picking up mate that could be your battle to be fair if that's the lights on temp the lighs out will be ridiculously low

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale92 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21), Jingo (24-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

So your medium is coco and peat mixed, that means you have to feed every single time you water and you have to have your pH set at 5.8.

Unless you are using reverse osmosis or distilled water you probably don't need any calcium and magnesium.

Do you have a pH pen and a EC truncheon? they are mandatory when dealing with and inert medium.

Do you know whether you have hard or soft water?

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21), Herbitual (24-01-21), LG27 (24-01-21)

Thanks

As stated above, peat moss light mix (peat & Coco). I wondered about overwatering but lots of issues can show the same symptoms which really doesn't bloody help! ??

Haven't checked PH or EC as I have no means and no spare cash to do so at the mo.

As above, lights on temp is around 24, night around 15. Usually want 7-8° difference between day and night temps so I'm not too far off. Plus it's bloody cold at the moment, currently 1° and feeling like -3° where I am. Tent is in garage so no real insulation to speak of hence the lower temp currently. It's not permanent and the symptoms are a few days old so I wouldn't think it's the heat.

It could just be a case of needing to PH the water, I know it makes all the difference I just don't currently have a way of doing so.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LG27 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21), Jingo (24-01-21)

Thanks

Thanks for reply. Yes peat & Coco, by feeding them every water will that not build up salts too quickly? I figured I would stick to my old regime of water, feed, water to prevent excess build up issues.

Only using tap water, not sure if water hardness. Do need to test it. And no, haven't got pH or EC pen, I know I need to get them ASAP but funds don't allow it at the moment.

Annoyingly, I've done plenty of grows in a little greenhouse in the garden over the last few years and had reasonable yields. I just used water straight out the water butt and rarely checked them in the greenhouse and now I've got a proper tent and grow setup I seen to be having more issues than before.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LG27 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LG27 View Post
    Thanks for reply. Yes peat & Coco, by feeding them every water will that not build up salts too quickly? I figured I would stick to my old regime of water, feed, water to prevent excess build up issues.

Only using tap water, not sure if water hardness. Do need to test it. And no, haven't got pH or EC pen, I know I need to get them ASAP but funds don't allow it at the moment.

Annoyingly, I've done plenty of grows in a little greenhouse in the garden over the last few years and had reasonable yields. I just used water straight out the water butt and rarely checked them in the greenhouse and now I've got a proper tent and grow setup I seen to be having more issues than before.
    The way to avoid salt build up is to get runoff of about 15 to 20%, especially when you have an inert medium and then you don't let the plants reabsorb that runoff. That is a method you use with inert mediums. They don't have the same capacity as soil to hold you over between feedings. So the way you have been feeding is absolutely correct for soil, just not your Coco Pete mix.

I would ditch the coco / peat mix next time if you can't afford the meters to use it correctly. And since you can't afford any right now you might as well just do the best job you can.

Your plants really don't look too bad so far.

If you are on a public water supply get a copy of your water hardness report, your background water is probably going to be your biggest limiting factor as you grow. If your background water is highly mineralized you won't be able to feed as many minerals.

J

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-01-21), Herbitual (24-01-21), LG27 (24-01-21)