Thread: New pest topped 2 seedlings-help-ideas.

Thanks

Default New pest topped 2 seedlings-help-ideas.

Simple backroom grow, going on 14yrs.. Minor pest problems in the past but nothing like this. Growing 2 at a time, saw a little trench like I dragged a knuckle through soil, 3rd day of seedlings in new ff potting soil and it didn't bother plants that night. 2 nights later it topped the 1" seedling in the container next to where first disturbance was noticed and left a small trench. Used small amount of insecticide dust 2" out from seedlings, didn't see any disturbances for 3 days and have been making random dark time raids to maybe catch it. Same thing last night except an hour after last check right after light on and plant in same pot 1/4" plant got topped, it had just dropped its seed pod. It has never touched the sour d that I saw the original disturbance in even though it looks like it has been in both pots. It didn't eat what it topped the first time but did the 2nd I guess. At first thought it was a burrowing insect, dug out the top 3" of soil in topped pot and found nothing, now I'm thinking maybe a mouse did it. Anyone have a similar problem and if so let me know what you found.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buckbuck For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (27-01-21), GEORGE (27-01-21), Jingo (27-01-21), Mac (27-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk Buckbuck, enjoy dude.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Buckbuck (27-01-21), Jingo (27-01-21), Mac (27-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

How strange!

A mouse? Never say never but doubtful if this is the first time it's happened in 14 year...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Buckbuck (27-01-21), GEORGE (27-01-21), Mac (27-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

I had something top one of my outdoor seedlings one time, it's a real b**** when that happens. I never did figured out what did it. I guess if you think it could be a mouse you could get some traps for your grow area, I wonder if it couldn't be some kind of slug?

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (27-01-21), Buckbuck (27-01-21), GEORGE (27-01-21), Mac (27-01-21)

Thanks

It's brand new store bought ff soil. Always been able to spot the snot trail outdoors in my summer fruit garden though. I was leaning towards something that came in the soil (burrowing cricket maybe) since I cleaned and sprayed insecticide in between grows. Wouldn't be so bad but last grow only grew 1 and had root problems so yield was way down and (aargh) I may run out before this one is done, especially if it gets the sour diesel. Now got glue traps, mouse poison and a mouse trap in grow area on top of the fruit insecticide I put down. Going through the dirt in the topped pot slowly, haven't seen anything yet and already got another seed in a paper towel.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buckbuck For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (27-01-21), GEORGE (27-01-21), Jingo (27-01-21), Mac (27-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbuck View Post
    It's brand new store bought ff soil. Always been able to spot the snot trail outdoors in my summer fruit garden though. I was leaning towards something that came in the soil (burrowing cricket maybe) since I cleaned and sprayed insecticide in between grows. Wouldn't be so bad but last grow only grew 1 and had root problems so yield was way down and (aargh) I may run out before this one is done, especially if it gets the sour diesel. Now got glue traps, mouse poison and a mouse trap in grow area on top of the fruit insecticide I put down. Going through the dirt in the topped pot slowly, haven't seen anything yet and already got another seed in a paper towel.
    I always got thrips in every single bag of Fox farm ocean Forest I ever bought. Big part of the reason I changed over to Hydro and then eventually Coco. When I set up my outdoor pots in soil I always mix in mosquito bits, takes care of most pests that can be soil borne.

J

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (27-01-21), Buckbuck (27-01-21), GEORGE (27-01-21)

Thanks

Have never had a thrip problem, but mosquito bits works great for the gnats that come in the dirt, helped outside too. I should just change out all the dirt on both pots but that stuff is expensive. Couldn't find anything obvious in the dirt of the topped pot, I may never know what got em. Whatever it is, it's fast and seems to come out only at night.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buckbuck For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-01-21), Jingo (28-01-21)

Thanks

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, the regular old fashioned mouse trap was tripped so I'm gonna assume.... Haven't caught it yet, but I will. I just made lemonade out of insomnia lol. Yeah it's early morning here and I'm a tad bit goofier than usual but dang, never been so happy to know (ok assume) it's a mouse in my house. And I don't have to waste that dirt I emptied out yesterday.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buckbuck For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-01-21), Jingo (28-01-21)