Thread: LED strips

Thanks

Default LED strips

Hi!

So just finished my first grow in a PC case (stealth and space reasons), and before I start my next seed I would like to upgrade my lights.

I currently have two of those Koopower so called “100w” LED bulbs from Amazon in there which I know are garbage and would like to upgrade to some LED strips to open up some more space for my plant.

Can anyone recommend any good strips? How many do I need? Colours? I’m a complete noob when it comes to this so any help at all is greatly appreciated ????

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cacticat For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (28-01-21), gardro (29-01-21), GEORGE (28-01-21), thelastrebel (31-01-21), ttreetrunk (28-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cacticat View Post
    Hi!

So just finished my first grow in a PC case (stealth and space reasons), and before I start my next seed I would like to upgrade my lights.

I currently have two of those Koopower so called “100w” LED bulbs from Amazon in there which I know are garbage and would like to upgrade to some LED strips to open up some more space for my plant.

Can anyone recommend any good strips? How many do I need? Colours? I’m a complete noob when it comes to this so any help at all is greatly appreciated ????
    Greetings grower
    What space are you needing to light and how much do you want to spend?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttreetrunk For This Useful Post:

gardro (29-01-21), GEORGE (28-01-21), thelastrebel (31-01-21)

Thanks

Hi!

My PC case is 24 inches tall, 22 deep and 9.5 wide. So not a lot of room! That makes ceiling space for strips 9.5 inches x 22 inches. Honestly I’m not too worried about the cost because I’m happy to save and work on it but by bit since I don’t have any plants needing lighting at the moment

Appreciate any help you can give me!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cacticat For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (31-01-21), GEORGE (31-01-21), thelastrebel (31-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Anything is possible including PC Grows but I would really go over what your goals are.

Im not being downbeat but it will cost lots relatively, be very challenging and the result may be disappointing.

That said it can be done but you may have to go very DIY. Often strips are over powered.

Q series strips from Samsung and whatever suceeded them ( not looked into it for a while ) will be a good starting point as they are not densely packed with leds.

You need to consider heat and smell control also

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (31-01-21), Cannabug (31-01-21), GEORGE (31-01-21), thelastrebel (31-01-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Anything is possible including PC Grows but I would really go over what your goals are.

Im not being downbeat but it will cost lots relatively, be very challenging and the result may be disappointing.

That said it can be done but you may have to go very DIY. Often strips are over powered.

Q series strips from Samsung and whatever suceeded them ( not looked into it for a while ) will be a good starting point as they are not densely packed with leds.

You need to consider heat and smell control also
    Hi! Thanks the info, I’ll be doing some more research into those lights
    I finished my first grow which went pretty well, I just know the lights could be better. I have some really good fans in there which seemed to control the heat and smell well, and there is room for more if needed. I know PC brows are far from ideal but I’m just having fun messing around with it to be honest

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cacticat For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (31-01-21), gardro (31-01-21), GEORGE (31-01-21), thelastrebel (31-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,368 Times

I've liked the Q series strips, as Gardro says the fact they're not too dense on diodes means that if you place two strips next to each other you get a fair even spread in both directions. I've grown under ~20W and ~34W and got somewhere in the ballpark of 1gpw with each, obviously YMMV but you could try around that as a starting point.

The key principle is going to be getting an even spread of light throughout, so whatever gives you light from a large number of diodes spread evenly but wide across the space will be your best bet. In terms of colour, I have a combination of 3000K and 3500K white with my Q series strips and that works well for me from seed to flower. You can always find ways to make it more complicated though if you want to!

Sounds like you have more surface area up top than I do, which gives you more options, so there's definitely no harm in shopping around, although if you're keen on experimenting you could also use it to play around with adding some separate reds in after you get the basics set up. I keep saying I'll do something like that but I really don't need the extra bud!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

gardro (31-01-21), GEORGE (31-01-21)