Thread: Top dressing vs using fertilizer

Thanks

Default Top dressing vs using fertilizer

Hi Everyone,

When I repotted my plants I used FoxFarm FX14053 Ocean Forest Potting Soil and my plants have loved it so far.

I am going on about 3 weeks since the were repotted which is around the time the manufacturer said to begin looking at additives because the plants would probably be at the point of using up what is in the soil.

While I have some 4-4-4 fertilizer available to use, I am not a big fan of chemicals so I have two questions to run by you as this is my first grow and I would like some expert advice

1. Can I remove some of the upper soil and just put more of the FoxFarm soil back in so that when watering it start seeping in and will provide the same nutrients they have been getting and loving?

2. I had some FoxFarm left over and still in a bag with the top of the bag rolled up so it wouldnt spill if i knocked it over by mistake or something. Would this soil left over in a rolled up bag lose any nutrients in general but especially knowing it has only been open for 3 weeks? I dont know if I should order more soil or if I can just use what I have left over for doing what I mentioned in the first question.

Thanks guys

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PotWWD For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (06-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (07-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

If you aren't a fan of chemical feeds, look at organic feeds instead

TBH, if you are growing in soil then I can't really see any reason not to grow organically, otherwise you would be better off in an inert medium, such as coco
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (07-02-21)

Thanks

Hi and thank you for the response but I am a little confused.

Are you saying the top dressing idea above isn't a good idea and I should look at organic feeds?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PotWWD For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (07-02-21), M_C (06-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

TBH, I haven't grown cannabis in soil for years but when I did I used organic feeds. Maybe someone else could say about top dressing? But, I would imagine, that any top dressing would be done without removing any soil?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (07-02-21)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Top dress, organics all the way for soil but like MC I grow in Coco not soil.

Your method seems sound but personally I'd wait for a soil grower to comment

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

Topdress.. But dump it on top of existing soil. Use any organic tomato granular feed and follow the directions. You could mix with the new soil then lay on top. Don't remove anything

sent from space

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post: