Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Connect fan onto carbon filter?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Krato View Post
    I just had a look at my setup and I think I may have made a f##k up I have attached my ducting to the filter, fan etc but I didn't wrap duct tape around it before putting the jubilee clips on.

Could that be the cause of the slight leak?
    Refer you to post #4

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (12-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Krato (12-02-21), Mac (12-02-21), M_C (12-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

I prefer to avoid using ducting but 6" of it is no never mind. I hang the fan first, then hang the filter so that it matches up with a gap of a few mm. Then I tape them together.

When you open the tent/cab, some odour spills out. Unless you have gone well ott with the extraction. If you have one exchange of air per minute, that's for the tent, not the entire room. Hence it will take a few minutes for all the spilled odour to be drawn back into the tent.

If there is no odour anywhere except the groom, all is well.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-02-21), Krato (12-02-21), Mac (12-02-21), M_C (12-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

The only thing I would add is when the fan cycles, very often if you have a controller, the material of the ducting will also cycle.

Its only a matter of time before it yields. Bending a paper clip, comet plane fuselages come to mind.

On the exhaust side there is much less cycling than on the vac side since the pressure differential is less.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (12-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Krato (12-02-21), Mac (12-02-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Geddon View Post
    I prefer to avoid using ducting but 6" of it is no never mind. I hang the fan first, then hang the filter so that it matches up with a gap of a few mm. Then I tape them together.

When you open the tent/cab, some odour spills out. Unless you have gone well ott with the extraction. If you have one exchange of air per minute, that's for the tent, not the entire room. Hence it will take a few minutes for all the spilled odour to be drawn back into the tent.

If there is no odour anywhere except the groom, all is well.
    Hi Farmer Geddin

Thank you for your reply, since you have written this post I have went up sealed all joints with duct tape and secured with jubilee clips but what I found I couldn't believe and found it by pure fluke.

There was actually air being pushed out from the housing on my fan, I wrapped it in duct tape and made sure anything wasn't escaping closed the tent up and went for a smoke came back and put my hand round the cf and it was actually pulling more air in.

Couldn't believe it

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (13-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (13-02-21), M_C (12-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,782 Times

Hi Farmer Geddin

Thank you for your reply, since you have written this post I have went up sealed all joints with duct tape and secured with jubilee clips but what I found I couldn't believe and found it by pure fluke.

There was actually air being pushed out from the housing on my fan, I wrapped it in duct tape and made sure anything wasn't escaping closed the tent up and went for a smoke came back and put my hand round the cf and it was actually pulling more air in.

Couldn't believe it
    Nice find!

As you now have seen, never take anything as read, always check the stuff you shouldn't have to
    Last edited by M_C; 12-02-21 at 11:44 PM.
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (13-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Krato (12-02-21), Mac (13-02-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Nice find!

As you now have seen, never take anything as read, always check the stuff you shouldn't have to
    Just shows mate something you wouldn't expect, went round it with a screwdriver and checked all the bolts and they were tight lol

Tomorrow morning will be the real test to see if it's fully cured but the amount of air that it was leaking wasn't good
    Last edited by M_C; 12-02-21 at 11:45 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krato For This Useful Post:

Farmer Geddon (13-02-21), GEORGE (12-02-21), Mac (13-02-21), M_C (12-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 20,238 Times

Hi Farmer Geddin

Couldn't believe it
    I used to think that was down to me changing the grow setup every few years and giving my rvk fans a hard time. Then I set up a loft grow for a mate and his rvk leaked too. As you can see from the green tape in the pic.

With my cupboard grow, the fan pushes into the filter so leaks are more likely to cause odour problems. For the first few days I spent many hours standing on top of my stepladder trying to get bits of tape in the correct place. It is an awkward position as I only have access to one side of the fan and filter.

If it's just a little bit of air escaping, any odour will dissipate soon enough. For extraction, my cellar has a 6" rvk fitted to an airbrick. No filter as I need to leave it running even when not growing or the cellar gets musty. (I also use it as a workshop.) For odour control, I had an 8" rvk + filter close to the plants used as an air scrubber, no ducting. Powerful enough to only leave a slight odour in the cellar. Outside, if I get my nose within 2 feet of the airbrick, there's a slight smell of weed. 3 feet away and nothing. Not ideal but I doubt anyone is going to be kneeling down sniffing airbricks, Except me of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_1119.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	395262  

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmer Geddon For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-02-21), Mac (13-02-21), scoot (18-02-21)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2