Thread: Early Root Development Inhibitor?

Thanks

Default Early Root Development Inhibitor?

Afternoon all, I haven't posted in some time, but stop by now and again to see what's new. Had a old seed pop and haven't grown in some time and I got to thinkin.....

I was taught the let them "chase" the water and the roots will just like the plant grows towards the light source.

My brain thinks that one of the advantages of hydroponics is that you can deliver the optimum amounts and types of nutrients in a fashion they can absorb quickly and you get advanced growth.

Out of necessity of being away for work, a while back I started running my return tube from the chiller thru a "T" that had silicone tubing around it with holes drilled in. It keeps the stones wet and rarely has overwatered it and been an issue.

That's all and great, but I've never been that impressed with my early root growth either with or without this watering aid. So know I question if I'm holding them back out of convenience when it may not be needed?

So my two thoughts are, is giving them a readily available early source helping them grow early without strain, or.... is me making it easy on them not making them push themselves sort of like the fan blowing on them helps strengthen the stem?

All polite thoughts are welcome here!

A couple of pics to show what I'm trying to describe......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wet stones sm.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	395328

Nice even draining!

Name:	draining sm.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	395329

Thanks all and stay safe,

MT

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyTime For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (14-02-21), CAVEY1974 (15-02-21), GEORGE (14-02-21), Jingo (15-02-21), M_C (14-02-21), scoot (19-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Nice set up. MonkeyTime.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (14-02-21), Jingo (15-02-21), MonkeyTime (15-02-21), scoot (19-02-21)

5. Default

It's a fair question, but I wonder how you would get around this in hydroponics..even for 'testing' purposes?

I've never grown in hydro and it could be as simple as limiting the reservoir?..but I can only imagine it would be a very fine line between too much and not enough.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (14-02-21), GEORGE (14-02-21), Jingo (15-02-21), MonkeyTime (15-02-21), scoot (19-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,626 Times

A good seaweed mix added to your res would help with early root growth.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-02-21), MonkeyTime (15-02-21), scoot (19-02-21)

Thanks

How close is net pot to water level?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixsixsix For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-02-21), scoot (19-02-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
    Nice set up. MonkeyTime.
    Why thank you sir, it's an ongoing evolution my tent it is. I'm very happy with it, but fear some changes coming on, it's part of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    It's a fair question, but I wonder how you would get around this in hydroponics..even for 'testing' purposes?

I've never grown in hydro and it could be as simple as limiting the reservoir?..but I can only imagine it would be a very fine line between too much and not enough.
    I guess if I were looking to test it, I'd pop two or three seeds from the same batch and run two side by side with the same nutrient solution, one set up like this and one the way I was taught and see what happens. I'd love to try it but I don't have the space or time at the moment. Things are changing and I just may in the next few months, but truth is there's a lot of things I'd like to "test" once I'm in a position to run multiple tents.

I guess I was just asking if anyone had any prior experience with this general theory to save me time or give me a jump start!

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    A good seaweed mix added to your res would help with early root growth.

J

I completely agree! But..... I've tried "organic hydroponics" and traditional and find for hydro it simplifies things to stick with dedicated products, less clogs I'm a tinkerer and putzer, pumps, timers, and now raspberry pi controls give me something to do while they take their time growing!

My inquiry was more of the general how I get them the solution type than what I was sending their way.

Quote Originally Posted by sixsixsix View Post
    How close is net pot to water level?
    At the moment, about 6" I"m guessing, haven't measured in a long time, and maybe never in the containers I use now. They're modified dog food containers. Food safe, I cut a hole in the top for the net pot, and the front has a spin on cap so I have complete access to the res without touching the plant. The only downside is they're lite tan and I've yet to find a great way to black them out.

In the past I'd keep the water about 2" below the roots to keep them chasing. They'd get the mist from the water bubbling below to keep them just watered. That all started after the roots exited the net pot, before that I hand water daily. It's how my mentor taught me and how I did it until I had a need to change. Job and house circumstances put me in the position of having to find a way to automate the system for the days I couldn't get to it or wasn't home.

The only difference I've really noticed and not sure I can blame this, it's just a large possibility is that I tend to get one large main root rather than many small ones, and that's even from the early start, not just towards the the end when they've always looked like a tree trunk lol!

I throw them in the pot the moment I see this....

Name:	20210215_165737sm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	395665

They stay domed until they're too big, especially this time of the year. RH in the house is just over 25% and that's with the whole house humidifier turned up. Tent is just under 50% with lights on and the fan running slow to keep negative pressure. When young, a glass is all that's needed.....

Name:	20210221_082039sm.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	395666

She's healthy and moving along, my biggest problem is tinkering!

Name:	20210221_082111sm.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	395667

Thanks to all for looking in, stay safe,

MT

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyTime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-02-21)