Thread: Lowering ph in soil tips

Thanks

Default Lowering ph in soil tips

Hi all,

My first grow... long story short, as my seeds germinated I dropped all my coco on the wet, muddy lawn!! As I was out of time, and didn’t want to risk it, I made decision to head to my local and get some John innes! Seedlings are doing OK, but in preparation for transplant I’ve noticed the no.3 mix is around PH7.

Are there any tips for lowering it relatively swiftly with anything I can use around the house/supermarket? Or am I best of getting something bespoke? I read up a fair bit about growing in coco in preparation for the grow, but panicking a bit now that they’re in the soil.

Many thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-02-21), Mac (19-02-21)

Thanks

You can use lemon juice or vinegar to lower the ph, and there are commercial products you can buy (phosphoric acid). When growing in soil just keep the PH between 6 and 7, you'll be fine. Growing in coco the plants are more sensitive and need a lower PH for good nutrient absorbtion

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phytoplankton For This Useful Post:

5. Default

In my opinion Vagabond, the PH is not the issue here (since you're using soil)..unless the PH of your tap water is particularly bad, but really you scots seem to have some bloody good water up there! lol

The soil will stabilise itself at normal PH levels..it's when the water used is way out that any adjusting should be taking place really.

However some growers do, and if you'd like to then I know biobizz now does an organic PH down which would be suitable for soil.

The issue I see, is that you've chosen the wrong john John Innes..you would have been better off going for John Innes #1 or #2..the seedlings might find the #3 a little hot! (in the way of too much nutrients).

I used to use John Innes #2 with decent results back in the day

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phytoplankton View Post
    You can use lemon juice or vinegar to lower the ph, and there are commercial products you can buy (phosphoric acid). When growing in soil just keep the PH between 6 and 7, you'll be fine. Growing in coco the plants are more sensitive and need a lower PH for good nutrient absorbtion
    Thanks! I’ve been using lemon juice from the fridge to get the water down to around 6... that’s a relief to know there’s play in the soil!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    In my opinion Vagabond, the PH is not the issue here (since you're using soil)..unless the PH of your tap water is particularly bad, but really you scots seem to have some bloody good water up there! lol

The soil will stabilise itself at normal PH levels..it's when the water used is way out that any adjusting should be taking place really.

However some growers do, and if you'd like to then I know biobizz now does an organic PH down which would be suitable for soil.

The issue I see, is that you've chosen the wrong john John Innes..you would have been better off going for John Innes #1 or #2..the seedlings might find the #3 a little hot! (in the way of too much nutrients).

I used to use John Innes #2 with decent results back in the day
    We do have good water it’s true!!! We’re out in the sticks and have a well which we treat it ourselves so it’s doubly good!! I did actually buy a small bag of John innes seedling mix for the babies, so I did something right! Although two out my three are struggling a little, they are seemingly getting stronger day by day, and I’m really only hoping for a healthy learning curve, so... Fingers crossed!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post:

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondrobb View Post
    We do have good water it’s true!!! We’re out in the sticks and have a well which we treat it ourselves so it’s doubly good!! I did actually buy a small bag of John innes seedling mix for the babies, so I did something right! Although two out my three are struggling a little, they are seemingly getting stronger day by day, and I’m really only hoping for a healthy learning curve, so... Fingers crossed!
    Ok great, if you're able to exchange the #3 for the number #2 then even better..as it can be very strong indeed.

Which nutrients will you be using?

What strains are they and under what light?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Ok great, if you're able to exchange the #3 for the number #2 then even better..as it can be very strong indeed.

Which nutrients will you be using?

What strains are they and under what light?
    Yeah I can exchange for no.2 no problem. I haven’t decided on nutes yet - I have canna stuff for coco so will need to get hold of something else. What would you suggest? I’m growing Auto #1 (Auto seeds) and Lemon Haze auto (Silver leaf). I’ve been told that I shouldn’t be growing autos first grow as more unforgiving if things go wrong, but it’s done now! Haha

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagabondrobb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondrobb View Post
    Are there any tips for lowering it relatively swiftly with anything I can use around the house/supermarket?
    Look up Iron Sulphate. Not expensive and can be found in garden centres.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-02-21), Vagabondrobb (19-02-21)