Thread: Iws flood and drain root rot

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Iws flood and drain root rot

I thought when I switched to F&D I would get away from the dreaded root rot but yet again it has reared it's ugly head in brand new system FFS.

The roots are blackening from top down once they are about 4 weeks into flower but are snow white when first put into the IWS system (I have a separate system where I veg them). The black didn't bother me as it was not slimy or smelly and the roots looked fine with hairs just the wrong colour as if someone had poured a little black ink or coal dust on them, thought it may be staining off Botanicare Tea.

I have now finished the grow which was garbage and upon removing the aquapots the root mass is blackish but no slime or smell. I do though have rot at the very bottom of the root mass where the water doesn't quite drain from the system the roots are thick and compacted in a lump and must sit in the little bit of water. I have a strong waterfall pump mixing and aerating the storage tank. The plants looked healthy enough and PH was quite stable.

Nute temps never higher than 20c growing in clay balls. Flooding every hour (big plants) lights on and once lights off. PH 5.6 - 6.2, EC max 1.9 Botanicare Kind and Botanicare Tea. room temps 18c lights off 23c lights on.

Any suggestions why the fecking rot and why are the upper roots blackening but no slime or smell even before they start to accumulate in the bottom of the outer pots.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (22-02-21), GEORGE (22-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,381 Times

What feed you using because I read somewhere that not to use organic feed in hydroponics.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy bud For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Don't use organics. GH 3 part.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-21)