Thread: What vegging times for best results? (Coco)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Unanswered: What vegging times for best results? (Coco)

Hi all, just wondering what vegging times have worked best for yous?

I am a coco grower and my normal timescale is (cuts) 10-14 days 24/0 in 2L pots to develop roots. I sometimes start the veg 18/6 after the first week, and feed half strength nutes (dutch pro).
    Roots are usually well developed after 10-14 days and I repot then into 22L pots, feed full strength, and the norm is 3 weeks before flip. This usually gives me enough time to top and create the profile I want.

I would say I am primarily a yeild grower, so every decision I make is with an attempt to maximise yeild. I have read and heard from other growers that veg time directly impacts the end results, but I have seen a friend veg for 2 months and still end up with average results when it comes to yeild.

On my last grow I unintentionally vegged for 6 weeks due to working through some issues before flipping. The leaves across the room all went kinda crinkled, and I wasnt sure if they were too cold or too hot or something else. I asked the question on here but people said they couldn't see anything wrong, so probably just me over thinking things. I was curious to know what had caused this though, and a mate suggested that they looked like they needed to be flipped, as sometimes they'll tell you when its time. This is a new one on me and the main reason for this post...

With regards to veg time; do you follow a specific time long/short, or do you do like my mate says and veg until the plants tell you its time to flip? And if so, what are the general signs?

My other reason for looking into this is I am wanting to try and shorten my grow cycles, as this last one has taken 5 months approx. I was thinking of trying to drastically shorten my start to flip time to 20 days e.g.

5 days 24/0 2L pots
    5 days 18/6 2L pots, half strength feed, top
    10 days 18/6 22L pots, full strength feed, top all shoots
    Flip 12/12, top all shoots again, and let majority of growth come from the 3 week stretch.

Do this, including additional time for tricomes to turn cloudy and do a 14 day flush, start to harvest should be 16 weeks (4 months), but still enough time to finish off properly to get that quality result.

Thats the theory... but Im just curious to know if such a short veg time is going to be counter intuitive to my main goal, which is maximum yield.

All info and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

P.s. i dont know if its yield or yeild!! Lol

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (29-03-21), Farmer Geddon (29-03-21), GEORGE (28-03-21), Karsa (28-03-21), Lowrollerbean (28-03-21)

Thanks

Update: I just want to add, this grow I have seen my stems get very thick and branches were as thick as McDonald's straws right up to the tops. I dont know if this was the result of the 6 weeks veg times, or more likely the fact I paid much more attention to my environments VPD ranges throughout the flower stage, something Ive never done before.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (29-03-21), Farmer Geddon (29-03-21), GEORGE (28-03-21), Lowrollerbean (28-03-21)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times
    Provided Answers: 3

Veg time can have a massive impact on yield as does the grower.

Just take a look at Sadface Agent Orange grow... Monsters

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (29-03-21), Farmer Geddon (29-03-21), GEORGE (29-03-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    Veg time can have a massive impact on yield as does the grower.

Just take a look at Sadface Agent Orange grow... Monsters

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk
    God... I just read through that whole diary and didn't see a mention of final weight lol....

The t5 lights looks real interesting, I will defo be looking into some of those. And the final results looked great, but tbh the profile didnt look much difference from mine after a 3 week veg. And this time round the the tops/tips of the branches were thick from the base to the tip, with main stems as thick as the handle end of a baseball bat. Im not even sure how I managed that, if it was me or the cherry gorilla strain.

His nugs looked nice and solid, but without knowing the final weight I cant compare. Also going from seed, that has always netted me better numbers than cuts. Its just where I am cuts are so cheap and someone is churning out Cali's, gorillas, gelatos, mamosas... spoilt for choice at the minute lol.

Sounds like Im having a bit of a rant here dunit haha... Im not, Sadfaces grow was quality. Its just it hasnt really given me a definitive answer to my question re veg time without knowing the avg yield.

Also that space was rammed wasnt it, but they seemed happy enough... sometimes my groom gets a bit choker and I was always told you need space to provide adequate environmental conditions to the whole plant if you want to hit max yield potential. Ive also come across rot on a few occasions when crammed in like that, mainly in the summer months though.

I also like the idea if cracking off seeds so they're ready by the time you chop... Ive taken a few bits away from that, thanks Karsa

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (29-03-21), Farmer Geddon (29-03-21), GEORGE (29-03-21)

Thanks

Also did he LST them by bending them over, or scrog? I saw a few mentions of sea but couldn't see a net...! Thought they were just kept small using the t5's and what looked like multiple tops...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

Cannabug (29-03-21), GEORGE (29-03-21)