Thread: HELP! 3 Week old plants with brown spotting!

Thanks

Unhappy HELP! 3 Week old plants with brown spotting!

Hello guys,

this is one of my first grows and 3 weeks in they're all developing brown spotting on their leaves. I have 6 plants in the room and 5 of which are affected whereas 1 remains strong. My initial diagnosis was leaf septoria or leaf spot. Everywhere I can see exclaims the most important first step is to remove affected foliage, however due to my plant's age and only owning 2-3 true leaves - I'm concerned to cutting the leaves off is a viable option considering the plants age?

Any help is greatly appreciated - THANKYOU!

- Temperature = 20ºC -> 25ºC (Controlled by a heat dependant space heater not aimed at the plants)
    - Location = Small cupboard around 6feet in hight and 3feet in length.
    - Humidity = 40%-50%, fluctuates dependant on last watering.
    - Nutrients = Flora Tri Part (weekly schedule recommended by RQS)
    - Medium - 70% Organic high quality multi use compost + 30% Perlite

Actions taken - Sprayed with an organic fungicide which seams to have reduced spreading however most affected plant is still significantly stunted.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9362.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	397747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9362.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	397747
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9366.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	397748  
    Last edited by curlythekid; 01-04-21 at 11:11 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curlythekid For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-04-21), GEORGE (01-04-21), scoobywho (01-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,994 Times

Don't remove affected leaves mate. Personally it looks like your soil may be a bit hot in the fertiliser. Reason I think that is the tip burns on the leaves and the dark green colour to they leaves.

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoobywho For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-04-21), curlythekid (01-04-21), GEORGE (01-04-21), IceCalibur (01-04-21)

Thanks

Cheers scoobywho, i'm glad I made the correct decision on not removing leaves. Would you agree with leaf septoria diagnosis and what would your recommended best course of action be for the fertiliser issue.

Cant thank you enough for your fast reply and help!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curlythekid For This Useful Post:

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by curlythekid View Post
    Cheers scoobywho, i'm glad I made the correct decision on not removing leaves. Would you agree with leaf septoria diagnosis and what would your recommended best course of action be for the fertiliser issue.

Cant thank you enough for your fast reply and help!
    The chances of it being leaf septoria is slim to none, so I would not recommend you pulling off any leaves..

I would go with what Scooby suggested was the issue here..a hot soil, and what's the water like that you're giving them?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-04-21), curlythekid (01-04-21), GEORGE (01-04-21), scoobywho (01-04-21)

Thanks

The water is very hard - I live in south coast of UK where the water is very very hard.
    The water's PH tends to 6.5 however does fluctuate.

If you're suggesting hot soil as the issue, should I reduce heating? the sensor is currently set to cap heating at 22.5 which leads to a room roughly at 24ºC, would you recommend this to be reduced or turned off for the time being? The issue is the room is underground and can reach temperatures as low as 10ºC even in blazing 21ºC heat outside.

Once again, thanks!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curlythekid For This Useful Post:

11. Default

The water is very hard - I live in south coast of UK where the water is very very hard.
    The water's PH tends to 6.5 however does fluctuate.

If you're suggesting hot soil as the issue, should I reduce heating? the sensor is currently set to cap heating at 22.5 which leads to a room roughly at 24ºC, would you recommend this to be reduced or turned off for the time being? The issue is the room is underground and can reach temperatures as low as 10ºC even in blazing 21ºC heat outside.

Once again, thanks!
    I'm sorry, that's my bad..when we say 'hot soil' we mean it's loaded with nutrients that are simply too much for young seedlings to handle.

If you're feeding this seedling..then stop, it's waaaay too early and there is more than enough in the soil.

Not really much you can do, you could water the pots heavily to push some of those nutrients out, but it will add more stress and lack of oxygen at the root zone is probably not a good idea right now.

Ride it out and see how she goes..

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-04-21), curlythekid (01-04-21), GEORGE (01-04-21), scoobywho (01-04-21)

Thanks

Ah sorry man, I wasn't aware of the term 'hot soil', that's my bad! The nutrients I have been feeding was significantly lower than recommended by RQS, however I agree this one is too young to be fed, however the others are significantly larger and not showing any 'hot soil' or newt burn signs. Thanks for your help, can't believe how fast and informative you guys are in helping out, I really appreciate it - thanks!

I'll discontinue the feeding regime and continue her with plain old water until I see an improvement.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curlythekid For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (01-04-21), GEORGE (01-04-21), IceCalibur (01-04-21), scoobywho (01-04-21)

15. Default

Ah sorry man, I wasn't aware of the term 'hot soil', that's my bad! The nutrients I have been feeding was significantly lower than recommended by RQS, however I agree this one is too young to be fed, however the others are significantly larger and not showing any 'hot soil' or newt burn signs. Thanks for your help, can't believe how fast and informative you guys are in helping out, I really appreciate it - thanks!

I'll discontinue the feeding regime and continue her with plain old water until I see an improvement.
    You're welcome and I think your plan moving forward is perfect

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post: