Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Newbie needs helps with 2 young plants

Thanks

Thats what I did, but once a friend told me if I needed some soil I could just get it from an oak tree would that work for it to grow? I would report a third and final time with a better soil like Foxfarm or Coast of Maine, would that be advisable?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrNavy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    You plan growing indoors or out? and what type of pots and size?
    Im going to put them in two different gardens, and hit them up with crushed egg shells, diced banana peel and potato boiled water with no salt (cold ofc) Sorry if im making any mistakes but im a noob and this is my first real attempt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrNavy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Not sure on the peel but I know egg shell takes ages to break down for use so might work for the harvest after
    And you know about baking them first mate?
    Atb

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-21), MrNavy (12-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Not sure on the peel but I know egg shell takes ages to break down for use so might work for the harvest after
    And you know about baking them first mate?
    Atb
    I read it over that at RQS blog, No i dont, could you please guide me? :s

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrNavy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Just put the egg shells in the oven around 150 for 10 minutes to kill off any salmonella, (I think it's that bug anyways)
    I've powdered it up before for a couple of runs in pots and can't say I've noticed much difference but a mate who grows veggies puts the egg shell in his plots months before he plants a thing but he's got a dirty great compost heap Stinking his place out
    Last edited by Greengrass; 12-04-21 at 07:54 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-21), MrNavy (12-04-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Just put the egg shells in the oven around 150 for 10 minutes to kill off any salmonella, (I think it's that bug anyways)
    I've powdered it up before for a couple of runs in pots and can't say I've noticed much difference but a mate who grows veggies puts the egg shell in his plots months before he plants a thing but he's got a dirty great compost heap Stinking his place out
    Thank you for that tip, btw I transplanted one of the plants into a slightly larger pot anything I should do to increase the odds of succeeding?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrNavy For This Useful Post:

Bud goode (16-04-21), GEORGE (12-04-21)

Thanks

Cannabis likes good compost that is slightly acidic. Outside soil carries pathogens, it could be too high or low ph, may not have enough nutrients. I could create quite a long list of why not to use outside soil, especially for seedlings. I personally grow organically and am very fussy with my soil, but as a beginner a shop bought descent potting compost will be fine. Try to get as simple a soil as possible, you dont want slow release fertilisers or wetting agents etc. Hope this helps. Happy growing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud goode For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-04-21), Greengrass (08-05-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrNavy View Post
    Thank you for that tip, btw I transplanted one of the plants into a slightly larger pot anything I should do to increase the odds of succeeding?
    Egg shells even when powdered take a very long time to break down enough to be available for your plants. Plants get the majority of calcium and magnesium from water if you use tap water ( always neutralise Chloramine/ chlorine . Ecothrive neutralise Is a great product) if using ro or mineral water you will need a calmag supplement. Side note: The only thing I use eggshells for in my outside garden is to stop slugs.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud goode For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud goode View Post
    Cannabis likes good compost that is slightly acidic. Outside soil carries pathogens, it could be too high or low ph, may not have enough nutrients. I could create quite a long list of why not to use outside soil, especially for seedlings. I personally grow organically and am very fussy with my soil, but as a beginner a shop bought descent potting compost will be fine. Try to get as simple a soil as possible, you dont want slow release fertilisers or wetting agents etc. Hope this helps. Happy growing.
    I should have added that if you buy an organic compost dont get manure based as the ph tends to be about 7, too high for cannabis.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud goode For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3