Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did I over decarb my weed?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,627 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tincandtoke View Post
    I'm just curious about people's opinion on the plant (chlorophyll) taste in their edibles
    Spent some time researching filtering and want to know if eliminating the plant taste is worthwhile
    I always try and get rid of as much of that chlorophyll as I can. After I decarb my weed I put about 20 g in a pint jar throw that in the freezer and I also put ethyl alcohol in the freezer. I found if I keep those two separate and then mix them together right before I filter that I get very little chlorophyll.

So what I do is I pour the cold ethanol into the cold weed shake it for 3 minutes I found that you don't get any benefit going longer and I filter it through a metal screen. Then the next filter would be through a coffee filter that I pre-wet with the ethyl alcohol, it always filters better if you do that.

Once I've done two filters and only one wash of 3 minutes I end up with usually a golden colored tincture. If I concentrate it down significantly it ends up looking black in the end. But the chlorophyll taste is definitely reduced.

J

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-05-21), Tincandtoke (15-05-21)

Thanks

I go a bit further
    I do the cold ethanol extraction and initial filter (everybody has their own method)
    What I'm experimenting with is filtering through a Buchner using celite 545 and Activated Charcoal (carbon)
    Just curious how far people go with their filtering process
    Sorry if this got off topic

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tincandtoke For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-21)

Thanks

Default Decarber plus small infusers

I sucked at decarbing. Finally I broke down and bought a decarber on Amazon. Sweet baby Jesus this was much better. Set it for 1 of 3 temps and forget it. I paid about $100 for it and I know I wasted more than that trying to learn to decarb.

I was also surprised that it does a kick ass job of infusing oil-based food like butter, or coconut oil). Similar to how a crockpot would. It fits about 1/2 an ounce, which is perfect for me because I cook in small batches.

My main product has been infused coconut oil in this machine. I pour it into some butter molds (they have the dosage lines on the side) and add it to either coffee, or I have found heating it up in water and dumping some MIO in it works. Get the refined version of less coconut flavor.

Happy Baking (pun intended)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mnocito For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-04-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCall View Post
    Heyo!

I think I F'd up my weed while trying to decarb.

I used my RV oven, to decarb 1 ounce of weed. If your familiar with RV stoves, they are inadequate for cooking evenly.

I intended to bake 1 ounce of coarsely ground weed and set my oven to 245F (118.3C) for an hour, low and slow.

The weed was in a foil pan with foil over the top as a lid. I read this was good to keep Terpenes from over cooking and burning off?

Anyway, I rotated the pan at 30 minutes to address the oven's uneven cooking and noticed the temp had increased to 255F (123.8C), so I stopped cooking at the 50 minute mark and letitcool, keeping the lid on.

When I pulled the foil cover off, my weed was so brown, that I'm afraid I ruined it.
    The consistency of it was still very soft and so I'm somewhat hopeful.

I added the 1 ounce of brown decarbed weed into a 1 liter Mason jar of 190 proof everclear to create the tincture.

My question is, how do I know if I destroyed the weed during the decard process?

Thanks,
    There is A good chance you did fuck it up. Only way to know for sure is to test A little and see how it is. I would measure out about 25mg of keif and see if that has any effect on you. 115C or 240F for 40 minutes is the most productids.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Ok, this was May of 2021 how did it turn out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2